Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka

Go down 
+7
TheIan
Mikey Go WOOGA
Owlish
Azzandra
Reidmar
the asylum
Lady Anne
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka Empty
PostSubject: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Link

Quote :
A bitter argument over money in Topeka, Kan., means that city and county authorities have neglected to prosecute or charge people suspected of domestic battery since Sept. 8.

In other words, the local justice system has spent a month effectively sending the message that misdemeanor domestic assault will go unpunished--at least for now.

Next week, the council will vote on a measure that will strip domestic battery from a list of crimes that are illegal in the city.
That's right, folks. Wanna batter your significant other? Go to Topeka! The place where politics matters more than safety.

Quote :
The vote is a tactical bid to force the county to take those cases on again.

City Council member Larry Wolgast told The Lookout he's opposed to that tactic, since there's no guarantee that the county will actually prosecute domestic battery cases just because the city decriminalizes the offense.
So, if the city won't prosecute, and the county won't prosecute...

Yep, that's essentially legalizing beating the person you're supposed to love.

Quote :
He added that the most severe cases of domestic battery would be written up as felonies, which are still prosecuted by the county.
Oh, good. We can relax.

Wait...

Quote :
"They need to invest in headstones, because these women are going to end up in cemeteries," Dombrowski told the station. She said she was hit with a crowbar in a domestic violence incident classified as a misdemeanor 16 years ago.
That's a misdemeanor? What's a felony? Killing your spouse, barbecuing them, and feeding them to the kids?

Quote :
In Kansas, domestic battery is defined as "intentionally or recklessly causing bodily harm by a family or household member against a family or household member," or intentionally physically contacting a family member in a "rude, insulting or angry manner." The third time someone is convicted of domestic battery within five years, the offense becomes a felony.
So if you only hit your spouse twice with a crowbar, it's still a misdemeanor.

Stay classy, Topeka.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:48 pm

I stand by my asserition that the South should have been allowed to split. Then shit like this wouldn't be happening in a First-World nation
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:52 pm

the asylum wrote:
I stand by my asserition that the South should have been allowed to split. Then shit like this wouldn't be happening in a First-World nation
I don't think Kansas can really be considered the South.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm Canadian, gimme a break -_-'
Back to top Go down
Reidmar
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka 896582 You want to know what's sad? I'm from Kansas, get down to Kentucky you damn Canadian.
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 2:09 am

Wait, but assaulting a stranger is still illegal, isn't it? So how does knowing the person who knocked your teeth in mitigate the fact that they just knocked your teeth in?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 7:21 am

Azzandra wrote:
Wait, but assaulting a stranger is still illegal, isn't it? So how does knowing the person who knocked your teeth in mitigate the fact that they just knocked your teeth in?
Don't you know? Once a woman is in a relationship with a man, he owns her. He can do anything he wants with his property. After all, she chose to be with him, so she chose to be attacked by him.[/sarcasm]
Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptySat Oct 08, 2011 12:37 pm

the asylum wrote:

As much as I agree with your sentiment, I should point out that it's not just the south, unfortunately. The stupid's in the water supply down here.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:23 am

Reidmar wrote:
Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka 896582 You want to know what's sad? I'm from Kansas, get down to Kentucky you damn Canadian.

We were neutral in the Civil War.

Schmuck. Colbert

Azzy wrote:

From what I've heard about this law, it doesn't.

The only difference is now it's Assault or Assault and Battery or Aggravated Assault instead of what they used to arrest people for.

Right? scratch
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 6:36 am

I'm not surprised at this. All of Kansas is crazy. They'd have to be with Westboro Church taking residence in their state.
Back to top Go down
William Shakespeare
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
William Shakespeare

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 am

TheIan wrote:
I'm not surprised at this. All of Kansas is crazy. They'd have to be with Westboro Church taking residence in their state.

Yes, because one congregation in one city in the entire state is enough to brand the entire state. There's a Scientology building in Clearwater. Does that contaminate the entire state? Do I have to start wearing a gold Scientology symbol on my shirts now?
And as far as crazy religious extremists go, they're little league-rs. They don't kill people or lay mines. They don't send their members in explosive vests to night clubs. Scientology is scarier than they are.

For a Brony with the stated goal to "Love and tolerate the shit out of you", that's surprisingly intolerant

And even if the people of Kansas decided to match intolerance with intolerance, what can you do? They have their first amendment right to be assholes.
“With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.”
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Willy wrote:
There's a Scientology building in Clearwater. Does that contaminate the entire state?

Good question. Is that Scientology building the reason Florida is a laughing stock (FLOLida), or is it the meth labs, the Cubans, the pedophiles, and the fact that they can count to potato that makes the state a laughing stock?

Willy wrote:
For a Brony with the stated goal to "Love and tolerate the shit out of you", that's surprisingly intolerant

Idiot liberals make a point of tolerating everyone who doesn't disagree with them. Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka 896582

Willy wrote:
“With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.”

What idiot said that? One link doesn't make a chain. One link is a loop of metal. It's a fucking ring. You need at least two links to make a chain.

Putz. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:37 pm

William Shakespeare wrote:
TheIan wrote:

Yes, because one congregation in one city in the entire state is enough to brand the entire state.

Has WGW lost its sense of humor or something? Dude, 'twas a JOKE. A lame joke, but still.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

Willy wrote:

What idiot said that? One link doesn't make a chain. One link is a loop of metal. It's a fucking ring. You need at least two links to make a chain.

Putz. Colbert

(Snort)

Sorry, sorry, must not laugh at Mikey's jokes, I know. Still, he has a point. Also, quoting Star Trek.

When it comes to the WBC though, they're not really harmless, and neither is Scientology. They're cults, and the abuse they inflict on their members is scary. Their religion is protected under our laws though, and they have the right to be complete bastards until they break the laws in a way that can be proven in court.

On the subject at hand, what the fuck? I just don't see where this makes sense. Domestic abuse is still assault. It doesn't matter if it's your spouse, they still assaulted you.

Back to top Go down
Owlish
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Owlish

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm

Electron Blue wrote:
William Shakespeare wrote:
TheIan wrote:

Yes, because one congregation in one city in the entire state is enough to brand the entire state.

Has WGW lost its sense of humor or something? Dude, 'twas a JOKE. A lame joke, but still.

Eh, I thought people derping over hyperbole and generally *not getting it* was par for the course as well. It's part of the humor! Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka 961878
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka EmptyMon Oct 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Lapin wrote:
When it comes to the WBC though, they're not really harmless, and neither is Scientology. They're cults, and the abuse they inflict on their members is scary. Their religion is protected under our laws though, and they have the right to be complete bastards until they break the laws in a way that can be proven in court.

The WBC is more like a sect* (they're an offshoot connected to an established group rather than a totally new group). The connection keeps them from being a cult (which would imply a breakaway) and the derivative nature keeps them from being a new religious movement.

Still assholes, though. And Scientology, yeah, probably gonna have to go with cult on that one. And both are far from harmless to members or to those outside their communities. The WBC is definitely scary, mostly because they represent a really striking us/them view on the world and no concern for the repercussions of that message. Even if they're not physically violent, their mindsets are dangerous.

*Yes, yes, I know. Piddly differences, but I had to wade through all of their miserable, hateful, poorly-managed websites for a term paper, and dammit, I'm going to use the material.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka   Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka Empty

Back to top Go down

Domestic Abusers Go Free in Topeka
Page 1 of 1