Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mouse

Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell Empty
PostSubject: Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell   Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Okay, I know I shouldn't automatically assume a fic is going to be bad because it's Tommy/Kim. That's not fair to the author, but the thing is so many of them are, so much so that I want to throw a parade for any writer who actually manages to write Tommy and Kim as mature adults and not turn Kat into a total bitch. There's a reason I nominated Kat for sainthood as a martyr for love and charity and this fic exemplifies some of my reasons.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's the summary given in the fic.

Quote :
Summary- The gang has been friends forever. At six years old they make a promise to always be frineds. Ten years later both Kat and Kim have a crush on Tommy. Tommy loves Kim so Kat is jealous. Out of jealously Kat starts to stalk and abuse Kim. Can the others save her or will Kat take things too far? Mostly, can they keep their promise to always be frineds?

Naturally I read the first chapter and noting all the numerous inaccuracies, such as Kat and Kim being friends when they were six when according to canon, they didn't meet until high school, I reviewed, especially pointing out that the Kat-is-an-evil-bitch plotline is not only completely inaccurate, but also unoriginal.

Here's my review. Tell me if it seems like bashing.

Quote :
Uh, Kat and Kim didn't meet until they were in high school. Kat was in Australia until then.
"
Also this may come as news to you but Kat is a good person. She's sweet, loyal, and a good friend to Kim. Heck, she saved Kim's life if you'd recall. Kim chose her to be her successor for a reason. So yeah, totally not buying this Kat-is-an-evil-bitch-stalker plotline you've got set up.

My advice. Watch more Power Rangers and less crappy soap operas, more specifically you might want to rewatch "A Different Shade of Pink" part one and two.

She sent me a response via email and her response was essentially "It's an AU so STFU." Never mind that it doesn't say in the summary that it's an AU--apparently I'm supposed to use my immense psychic powers to pick up on that--and also never mind that AU is supposed to be like alternate continuity such as "What if Bulk and Skull were chosen to be rangers?" or "What if Tommy stayed evil?"; apparently I was wrong: AU means "Let's fuck up characters' personalities ten ways from sunday all the while providing no indication that it is an AU in the first place."

What is really cheesing me off about this fic is that I tried to review and PM again to further explain my position and the author's blocked me. Apparently there's a new feature on ff.net that enables members to shut out any comments that might threaten your over-inflated ego block people. So now I can't give my opinion any more without creating another sockpuppet reviewer.

:deep breath:

I know this seems petty and I know I'm the only one on this board who follows PR but this is really cheesing me off and I needed to vent before I took it out on innocent people.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell   Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Why didn't you vent in the Tropes thread you started?

PS if your only complaint is "Kat's like, totally out of character", then the fic doesn't belong here.
Back to top Go down
Mouse
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mouse

PostSubject: Re: Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell   Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Well it's not just Kat that's totally out of character, it's everyone in this damn fic. Tommy's acting like a total sleeze making out with Kat than going on to make out with Kim and profess undying love to her and this whole fic is reading like a bad soap opera, rather than the cheesy action show about teenagers fighting monsters that I know and love. In fact, this fic could fit be any fandom; just switch out the names and no one would be able to tell the difference. There's no trace of Power Rangers whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell   Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 am

Mouse wrote:
In fact, this fic could fit be any fandom
To non-Power Rangers fans, it is any fandom.

You have to show us what's so exceptionally godawful about this fic.

Quote :
What is really cheesing me off about this fic is that I tried to review and PM again to further explain my position and the author's blocked me. Apparently there's a new feature on ff.net that enables members to shut out any comments that might threaten your over-inflated ego block people.
Just like a feature we have here?

But yes, do make a sockpuppet account and further waste your time arguing with someone who has literally shut their eyes and stuck their fingers in their ears.
Back to top Go down
Bad Luck Charm
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Bad Luck Charm

PostSubject: Re: Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell   Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 12:51 pm

[quote=Mouse]What is really cheesing me off about this fic is that I tried to review and PM again to further explain my position and the author's blocked me. Apparently there's a new feature on ff.net that enables members to shut out any comments that might threaten your over-inflated ego block people. So now I can't give my opinion any more without creating another sockpuppet reviewer.[/quote]

I guess they created that feature to prevent spamming and geniune flaming. While they're few and far between, there are people who can tell the difference between constructive critique and out and out flaming. I've had my share of flaming and review-spamming that I'm glad the Block feature is in place.

Of course, yours was not a flame so obviously this person cannot tell the difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell   Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell Empty

Back to top Go down

Why I hate Tommy/Kim Shippers in a nutshell
Page 1 of 1