Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport

Go down 
+5
Alhazred
Adagio
Kirby
Shisaiga
Seule
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport Empty
PostSubject: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 pm

At least 35 people were killed and around 180 injured in a blast on Monday at Russia's biggest airport, Domodedovo airport in Moscow.

The bomb went off in the arrivals lounge, where families and drivers were waiting. Apparently the bomb was "packed with nuts, bolts and ball bearings".

As the bombing occured outside the main airport area, the bomber wasn't challenged when entering the building. Russia is probably going to install security measures outside airports now, and it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the world followed suit...

P.S: Talking about this on IRC earlier, I was actually kind of horrified at how few people outside the UK and Russia had even heard about this. What gives? It's all over the newspapers here...
Back to top Go down
Shisaiga
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Shisaiga

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Seule wrote:
P.S: Talking about this on IRC earlier, I was actually kind of horrified at how few people outside the UK and Russia had even heard about this. What gives? It's all over the newspapers here...

Don't know about other countries, but it was in the German news on TV, both yesterday and today, and in the newspapers this morning. First page too.
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 12:40 pm

^ Atch, sorry, I meant to write "Europe and Russia"...
Back to top Go down
Kirby
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Kirby

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 12:57 pm

I saw the story, for all the two hours or so it was front-page news on MSN. Actually, my friend's sister is teaching in Moscow right now, so I was a bit worried. But she's fine.
Back to top Go down
Adagio
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Adagio

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 12:58 pm

I saw this like an hour after it happened. I think it was on Yahoo US, even.

My friend said Al Qaeda has claimed responsibility for the bombing, but so far I haven't seen any major newspaper corroborate that.
Back to top Go down
Alhazred
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Alhazred

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm

The Russian authorities don't seem to think so. The first article also suggests that the bombers might not have intended to blow themselves to hell, either.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm

I saw it on the morning news pretty much as soon as it happened too. Everyone was frantic in checking if there were any Australian casualties.

Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport 309696
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Turns out the people I talk to on IRC are just ignorant, then. Carry on. :D
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Actually, from what I understand, it's believed the bomber was from a militant group in Russia that they've had trouble with before (the same group has been claimed responsibility for explosions and deaths at two other airports). They've proclaimed themselves to be Muslim, but whether they have any ties with Al-Quida is questionable.

I read they found what they believe is the bomber's head ( Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport 556166), so it was definitely a suicide bombing.

Give the two previous instances, I'm surprised they haven't beefed up security before now.
Back to top Go down
Alhazred
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Alhazred

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 7:27 pm

And now we have our first suggestion that Modern Warfare 2 is to blame, proving that Russian journalism has about as much integrity as American journalism. Which is particularly hilarious when considering the fact that, when Modern Warfare 2 was new, the response from Russia wasn't "We object to this depiction of terrorism on our soil in an interactive video game," but rather, "We object to the insinuation that Russians could be domestic terrorists."
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Apparently the blast tore off the head of the man accompanying the bomber. D: Oww
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:27 am

Raine wrote:
Apparently the blast tore off the head of the man accompanying the bomber. D: Oww

To be fair, it wouldn't hurt for very long.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 am

Jay/Cris wrote:
Raine wrote:

To be fair, it wouldn't hurt for very long.

True, but I'm still wincing at the thought.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:28 am

Adagio wrote:
I saw this like an hour after it happened. I think it was on Yahoo US, even.

Yeah, it was...It also ended up being the lead story on both NBC's and ABC's evening news(I'm not sure about CBS).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport   Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport Empty

Back to top Go down

Suicide bomber in Domodedovo airport
Page 1 of 1