Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!

Go down 
+25
Somath Cegem
Lapin
Reepicheep-chan
Aggie
TheIan
Dixie
Nevvy
The Scientist
Exodia's Right Leg
Jay/Cris
NichoMas
Braigwen
Miss Misery
Spotts1701
EileenK98
Chris91
Mikey Go WOOGA
Mr.Doobie
Soylent Green
Penguin
Rabid Badger
Dr. Professor Science
Maximilia
myeerah
WD40
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! Empty
PostSubject: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 3:35 pm

you know what... I tried five times to write an introduction to this. I went from a joke approach to a furious rant approach to an attempt at intellectual debate with the source material, but I simply could not do justice to the mixed feelings of rage, bemusement and disbelief at this story.

In short, the Council of Conservative Citizens have got their knickers in a twist because actor Idris Elba has been cast as Heimdall in the new Thor movie.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'll quote them:

Quote :
This week Marvel Studios, a company already known for pushing left-wing ideology in its movies, released its trailer for Thor. The movie re-writes German mythology with a multi-cultural slant. The God Heimdall is played by a black man. An extra Chinese character is added to the pantheon for good measure as well.

Wow... I mean W-O-W!

Before I even address the specific arguments that the KKK CCC have against the absurd political correctness enforced by radical left-wing group Marvel Comics upon their film which is loosely based of a comic book which is loosely based on a bunch of stories made up by drunken medieval nutters I'll quote a bit from their 'Statement of Principles' so that we know exactly who we are dealing with:

Quote :
We believe the United States is a European country and that Americans are part of the European people. We believe that the United States derives from and is an integral part of European civilization and the European people and that the American people and government should remain European in their composition and character. We therefore oppose the massive immigration of non-European and non-Western peoples into the United States that threatens to transform our nation into a non-European majority in our lifetime. [..] We also oppose all efforts to mix the races of mankind, to promote non-white races over the European-American people through so-called “affirmative action” and similar measures, to destroy or denigrate the European-American heritage, including the heritage of the Southern people, and to force the integration of the races.

TL;DR

Quote :
We're a bunch of racist shitfucks

In their bid to keep those filthy negroes out of their fictional entertainment the CCC have set up Boycott-Thor.com

Quote :
Marvel has viciously attacked the TEA Party movement, conservatives, and European heritage. Now they have taken it one further, casting a black man as a Norse deity in their new movie Thor.

Goddam those Marvellites! Havin' a political ideal that opposes our own and exerting creative control over their own intellectual property which, I will continue to point out, has next to shit-al to do with Norse mythology, not that it would matter if it did!

Is it even worth pointing out how ludicrous this is? They have a problem with a black guy playing Heimdall because it's contrary to Norse Mythology, but they don't have a problem with Thor beating up a bunch of giant robots before teaming up with Captain America, Iron Man and the Hulk. I'm pretty sure those fuckers weren't in Norse mythology either!

Anyway, I've left a little trolling comment on one of their boards. I doubt much will come of it. But still, I hope.

This post in a nutshel: Racist fuckwads are racist fucwads. World continues unabated.

ETA:

Turns out I was wrong in my description of these intolerant nitwits! They're not racist after all:

Quote :
Both articles are full of childish name-calling like “racist.” The term “racist” is what a left-winger says when he can not debate you on the facts. Both authors immediately resort to infantile name-calling rather than making their own arguments. They know they can’t win based on the facts!

See! I'm just a dumb liberal who can't debate the facts. I guess there's no such thing as a "racist", "racist" is just another schoolyard name, to which they can just say 'Sticks and Stones' to.

The admin on the Boycot-Thor site has, usefully, put up a definition on what 'raist' means:

Quote :
The term “racist” was invented by Magnus Hirsch in the 1930′s. He was a member of the Frankfurt school, which was “Marxist Intellectuals” based out of Frankfurt, Germany who later moved their base to New York City. He was also one of Germany’s leading “homosexual rights” activist before moving to Paris.
Magnus wrote a book on how to use the term “racist.” He tells his supporters to constantly denigrate their political enemies as “racists.” The whole philosophy of the Frankfurt school is what they called “critical theory.” You constantly criticize everything about your political enemies until the criticism is picked up by others and becomes widespread.

And here I was thinking that the term meant, well, all that stuff in their 'Statement of Principles'. Turns out, it's just a clever insult thought up by Marxist Intellectuals.

So, I guess Il have to conjure up my best sesquipedalian techniques and describe these people properly, while leaving out the made up term: 'Racist'.

*Ahem*

The CCC are a collection of snivelling, odious, pathetic, nauseating little stink-beetles, walling their hideous views from within a toilet of broken dreams. For every moment of their existence God weeps a fresh tear of regret at what he has created, with vomit rising in his throat he watches them spewing their ill-informed, backwards, revolting opinions a across the internet like diseased semen spurting across a much-used, jaundice-tinged tissue. Their opinions are so offensive to me that I hope they die without ever knowing the love of another human being. I hold hope in my soul that upon the day of their death the rancid, black, maggot-ridden harts that reside within their chests be trampled upon, stamped into the ground by the massive, exalted crowd that have gathered to revel in their demise, for upon that day, the world shall be free again! Birds will sing in the sky, children will dance in the streets, God will lift his head and smile at the release of those filthy, feculent, interfering, intrusive, meddlesome, mealy-mouthed, poxy, culture-crushing, closed-minded morons.

Okay, I owe that diatribe to Andrew Lawrence, but it's relevance is perfectly suited.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Okay, aside from them being massive dumbshits, I do wonder about the basic principle. I mean, I was mad as hell when Sci Fi—sorry, SyFy—cast white people in their (gawdawful) adaptation of Earthsea. I can kind of see the point about changing the race of fictional characters just because, and how annoying it is.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 5:53 pm

...I don't care what race an actor is if he or she is a good actor. Race shouldn't matter, unless it's integral to the story or plot for some reason.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Someone on another bog has made a good point regarding the apparent congnative dissonance about having a hardcore Christian organisation getting so het up over the correct depiction of a pagan religion.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 6:14 pm

My reaction to casting a black guy as a Norse god pretty much amounted to "huh, that's a bit weird. Isn't the character's dad supposed to be Anthony Hopkins or something?" Then I got over it. Talk about an overreaction.

Maximilia wrote:
...I don't care what race an actor is if he or she is a good actor. Race shouldn't matter, unless it's integral to the story or plot for some reason.
Well, I guess it's a bit historically innacura- wait this is a movie about Thor fighting with the US military.

Wait... Council of Conservative Citizens? CoCC? I think that someone might not have been paying full attention when they came up with that. COCK 4 LYFE.

Last edited by Dr. Professor Science on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Why do I get the feeling that when they talk about 'Europe,' they mean England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, and the Nordic countries, where the people are, for the most part, light skinned and look 'white?'

Actual List of the 50 countries that Comprise the European Union:

Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Austria
Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria
Croatia, Czech Republic or Czechia. Cyprus
Denmark
Estonia
Finland, France
Germany, Greece, Georgia
Hungary
Iceland, Ireland, Italy
Kazakhstan
Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
FYR of Macedonia (Republic of Macedonia)
Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro
Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal
Romania, Russia
San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine, United Kingdom
Vatican City

They're complaining about a black man playing one of the Norse Gods. Would they have complained less loudly if he'd been Turkish? Lithuanian? Italian? Portugese?

Somehow, I sincerely doubt it.

Also, the whole 'not mixing the races' business sounds disturbingly like Hitler and his ilk.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Also, the whole 'not mixing the races' business sounds disturbingly like Hitler and his ilk.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Penguin wrote:
Rabid Badger wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hitler mentioned him first. Razz
Back to top Go down
Soylent Green
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Soylent Green

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Heimdall is actually a part of my faith and I can tell you that I love this casting choice. Besides, I think He has better things to do than get angry about His portrayal based on a comic book. Besides, the casting could be worse.

myeerah wrote:
Okay, aside from them being massive dumbshits, I do wonder about the basic principle. I mean, I was mad as hell when Sci Fi—sorry, SyFy—cast white people in their (gawdawful) adaptation of Earthsea. I can kind of see the point about changing the race of fictional characters just because, and how annoying it is.

That's a little bit different. People of color are woefully underrepresented in fantasy, especially high fantasy. People were upset that not only did SciFi miss a great opportunity to give POCs some screen time, but the single non-white man in the entire thing was literally a Magical Negro.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Soylent Green wrote:
Besides, the casting could be worse

OK, that made me and my comic-nerd brethren (with whom I've been sharing this story all night) LOL so hard it hurt!

Rob Bricken, a higher-up in my personal nerd-pantheon, has this to say on the matter:

Quote :
But even on the off chance that you happen to be a racist, I still think you'd hate these guys, wouldn't you? Aren't there bigger things to be racist about? Really, of all the things to be racist about, they're spending their time bitching about a minor character in a goddamn superhero movie? That's some shitty racists. Hell, even the other racists must think they suck.

ETA Boycott-Thor now has an open letter to Marvel. In it they describe Idris as an African actor. The man in English. I tried to point this out in the comments section, but apparently, from my singe previous post, I've been banned.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 12:40 am

So, I'm guessing this means these people know what race the Norse Gods were than.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 2:10 am

Gee, this SURE equals the asspain that resulted from people being butthurt over Sokka and Katara being white. Colbert
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 9:44 am

At the risk of sounding redundant, these people are six different kinds of crazy.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Gee, this SURE equals the asspain that resulted from people being butthurt over Sokka and Katara being white. Colbert

Come to think of it, I remember complaints that Colonel Tigh in the new BSG "should be a distinguished black gentleman."
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 11:06 pm

WD40 wrote:

ETA Boycott-Thor now has an open letter to Marvel. In it they describe Idris as an African actor. The man in English. I tried to point this out in the comments section, but apparently, from my singe previous post, I've been banned.

Only because the truth hurts them.

Face it, these are the same people who believe that Jesus was a white-skinned, blue-eyed guy with dark-blond hair. As were Mary, Joseph, and all his disciples.
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 6:57 am

But . . . but that's how he looks in all the paintings! All them paintin's wouldn'ta got it wrong! Everyone knows Jesus was white, dammit!
Logic? We don't want no filthy logic round here! We know what's right! And we ain't racist, neither! We just think white people are better!

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Ah, the CCC - all of the philosophies of the Ku Klux Klan, none of the stigma.

And I'm pretty sure considering the comic book itself is an extremely loose interpretation of Norse mythology at best, arguing that the movie takes a few more liberties is getting into "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" territory.
Back to top Go down
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Quote :
We believe the United States is a European country and that Americans are part of the European people. We believe that the United States derives from and is an integral part of European civilization and the European people and that the American people and government should remain European in their composition and character. We therefore oppose the massive immigration of non-European and non-Western peoples into the United States that threatens to transform our nation into a non-European majority in our lifetime. [..] We also oppose all efforts to mix the races of mankind, to promote non-white races over the European-American people through so-called “affirmative action” and similar measures, to destroy or denigrate the European-American heritage, including the heritage of the Southern people, and to force the integration of the races.

Dear Black People,

Get out of our movies and start picking our cotton!

Love and kisses,

The CCC
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 6:25 pm

WD40 wrote:
Butthurt closet racist ranting

Wow... and how many more important issues are on the table right now? This is what they focus their ire on? Priorities people! You do not has them!

Dear Norse Gods;

Michael Jackson had the right idea.

Love,

Prophets for a Monotone Society
Back to top Go down
NichoMas
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
NichoMas

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 7:43 pm

It's obviously not fair because there's not enough white people in mainstream media.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 12:28 pm

NichoMas wrote:
It's obviously not fair because there's not enough white people in mainstream media.

This is so true for comics. Thor doesn't count, he's a God. Take, for example, the Young Avengers. They're a team of seven, of which two are girls, one is a robot, one is a black guy, one is Jewish and one is an alien. The last two are even part of the resident gay couple! There is one white dude, one out of seven, and he's a sociopath. What kind of message does that send? It's even led by one of the girls. Seriously, just like Runaways. What kind of role model does this provide our white male straight children with, I ask you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
NichoMas wrote:

This is so true for comics. Thor doesn't count, he's a God. Take, for example, the Young Avengers. They're a team of seven, of which two are girls, one is a robot, one is a black guy, one is Jewish and one is an alien. The last two are even part of the resident gay couple! There is one white dude, one out of seven, and he's a sociopath. What kind of message does that send? It's even led by one of the girls. Seriously, just like Runaways. What kind of role model does this provide our white male straight children with, I ask you.

inorite! But what do you expect from Marvel, who also push the left-wing agenda by having a back supremacist character!

Boycott Thor wrote:
Black Panther is T’Challa, the king of a secret African nation known as Wakanda. The inhabitants of this nation keep their lands hidden from the white man so it is not “exploited” for it’s mineral wealth. T’Challa’s father is murdered by a white man who becomes Black Panther’s main enemy.

See, already in the story's premise, it is already promoting the idea that primitive natives should allow peope with far more culture and technoogy to utilise the resources they've built their scummy little mud-huts on!

Quote :
His other principal enemies are the “racist” South African government. Particularly South African Magistrate of Communications Anton Pretorius.

Note the use of the left-wing insult "Racist" there. They only use that when they can't debate the facts you know.

Quote :
Black Panther is a “genius,” who has a Ph.D. in physics from Oxford. He also keeps it real by having a harem of “wives in training.” When not fighting “racist” South Africans, he comes to the USA to fight the Ku Klux Klan.

See, we have to keep the made up, sardonic, terms in quotation marks. Seriously, how can some savage from bongo-bongo land be a "genius" that's just laughable.

And that Harem, I mean, the comics try to cover that up by saying that they're 'ceremonial' and that they are only called 'potential wives' for the purpose of allowing each of the Wakandan tribes to have a voice in Black Panther's council, be we a know it's to appease that inherent need to have sex constantly that those savage people have.

Quote :
So Marvel has a history of publishing an explicitly black racial hero who fights “racist” whites, and who still appears today on an explicitly black cable network.

Where as there are no superheroes who fight against violent blacks, promoting white culture and having television shows on explicitly white television stations! We just pander to these peopes every whim! Madness I tell you!
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 7:26 pm

WD-40, will you e-marry me? Blush

Also, I'm surprised they're not bitching over the fact he's married to Storm from the X-Men, who's mixed race (white and Kenyan). Cause dammit, we can't have them black people polluting the purity of the European race!

Quote :
But even on the off chance that you happen to be a racist, I still think you'd hate these guys, wouldn't you? Aren't there bigger things to be racist about? Really, of all the things to be racist about, they're spending their time bitching about a minor character in a goddamn superhero movie? That's some shitty racists. Hell, even the other racists must think they suck.

This so much. All the other very real problems we have in the world, and these guys have their boxers in a bunch over a group of fictional characters from a comic. The mind-it boggles.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 6:14 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
WD-40, will you e-marry me? Blush
Of course! Smile But only if we can e-honeymoon on the set of the Avengers movie.

Quote :
Also, I'm surprised they're not bitching over the fact he's married to Storm from the X-Men, who's mixed race (white and Kenyan). Cause dammit, we can't have them black people polluting the purity of the European race!

I can hazard a guess about this... It's because Storm x T'Challa is a recent development, I don't think their info is all that contemporary... For example, they name 'Anton Pretorius' as a 'main enemy'.

Pretorious hasn't been a main anything for at east 15 years... Almost 20! In fact, I had a hell of a time looking the guy up. The best source of info came from an independent website dedicated to obscure late silver-age characters.. Marvel itself doesn't have an entry for him at all!

It looks to me that their 'research materials' is either an old (60-70's) Back Panther annual or something, or some form of retrospective.

Sounds about right though: out of date viewpoints = out of date reference material.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 7:15 am

LOL and I was just being linked by a friend a few posts from the Brazilians at Stormfront (yes, they exist. No, it doesn't make sense), about that same movie.

I like me some appearance-accurate casting, but those are not even people, they're Norse gods FROM SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!; I can live with a black Heimdall.

I'll leave a paraphrase from Thor himself on the matter:

"Why are you cutting your beard? For the Norse people, a beard was a symbol of nobility! Of strength and power!"

"I know, but I'm an Asgardian - not a viking."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!   GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books! Empty

Back to top Go down

GAWDAMMIT! There's black people in mah comic books!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next