Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hey, Baby

Go down 
+25
Reepicheep-chan
Disco Stu
Reidmar
Cunovendus
V3N0M
Lexin
the asylum
Mr.Doobie
Sutremaine
TheHermit
Just Chipper
Jay/Cris
grmblfjx
Tungsten Monk
Bamshalam
Cyberwulf
gaijinguy
William Shakespeare
Mikey Go WOOGA
Psy-4
Malganis
InkWeaver
Somath Cegem
Penguin
ZoZo
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Tungsten Monk wrote:

I'm definitely for self-defense, but this is a crap way to promote it.
I'm pretty sure it's not a promotion of self defence.

I think it's a satirical expression of the rage women feel when encountering street harassment. You know, that feeling where you just want to tell the harasser to go and sit on a cactus, but you feel like you can't because that would entail acknowledging them, which they tend to see as an invitation for further harassment.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
I'm not surprised that neither of you grasp what street harassment is actually like, or how fucking scary it is for a woman, especially after dark.
>implying I never had a knife pulled on me
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 5:38 pm

Bamshalam wrote:
The primary difference here is that it isn't martyrdom to be pissed at people yelling shit out of their car at you or following you down the street solely because you happen to have a vagina. If the women Loveshy were mad at were literally following them around and taunting them for being virgins or something you might have a point, but they don't.

It could just be the game's shittiness, but from what I've seen you basically have to go around bumping into people to get them to say anything or follow you (or to shoot them). Now take this sort of gameplay, turn the genders around, and have the women all say things like "get lost creep" or whatever the shytards anticipate in rejection, and keep the violence. Virtually identical games, just what's being said changes, and who's getting shot.

I guess this take on it basically stems from unrealistic presentation. The PC in this game isn't being harassed, she's running around, jabbing people with her gun, and shooting them.

Quote :
Granted, the premise of this game makes me uncomfortable, but not any more or less so than some of the things you can do in GTA.

Well, at least in GTA they make no pretenses about you playing anything other than a criminal scumbag.
ZoZo wrote:
Tungsten Monk wrote:

And even if it was, it would be a stupid way to go about it. Like this idiot:

Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 6:23 pm

William Shakespeare wrote:
I'd like to know how a game like Rapelay gets the banhammer, but this is apparently allowed? Are we truly living in a patriarchy?

Psy-4 wrote:
Sup, obvious sockpuppet troll.

Samefag. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ZoZo wrote:
Tungsten Monk wrote:

I think it's a satirical expression of the rage women feel when encountering street harassment. You know, that feeling where you just want to tell the harasser to go and sit on a cactus, but you feel like you can't because that would entail acknowledging them, which they tend to see as an invitation for further harassment.

By the sound of it, most of what happens in this game doesn't even rise to any level of harassment. It's "Hello, how are you doing?" "I DON'T KNOW YOU *Shoots guy in head*"
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Penguin wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:
robble robble I play WoW robble robble

This is making me laugh.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 7:23 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Tungsten Monk wrote:

Nah, I don't think it's satire. I think it's a shitty game that fails to make any kind of point other than "guys who talk to you on the street deserve to die." I've been there with the street harassment (a truck driver once tried to buy me off my brother) but whatever this game is trying to accomplish regarding that issue, it fails at. If it's promoting self-defense (and I may have been wrong about that, yeah), there are better ways to do it. If it's satire, definitely better ways to do it. It's not even a decent FPS. Unless it was a deliberate attempt to make a heavy-handedly awful game, in which case, brava!
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 7:57 pm

The trouble with criticizing this game is that Yahtzee's already said everything that needs to be said. "Then I remembered that any game designer who sacrifices fun to make an artistic statement is obviously stuck so far up his own ass he's in danger of choking on his own head."
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 3:01 am

It is satirical and it's not promoting self defence

Creator of the game says:
Quote :
Ms. LOOUI: Thank goodness for that. So that was the moment when I decided that I was going to make this game and it would be an ode the young man on the subway platform in New York. The next two years it just became this other thing this project about how to create conversations around the whole issue and just how its a very difficult topic, just how people engage in a really different way around it.

Anyway, the good thing is, crappy gameplay aside, we're talking about the issue of why women might get a tiny little bit pissed off by street harassment.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 6:13 am

Somath, you're forever herp-a-derping about how there's no point talking to men about preventing rape because rapists gonna rape, so you have zero right to be huffy if women fear and distrust strange men who approach them on the street.

Psy I'm so sorry. I had no idea. Street harassment is clearly no big deal. After all, you had a knife pulled on you, and obviously this is a pissing contest.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 am

Actually, I'd love to ask some questions to the men here:
1. Have you ever shouted or said something to a strange woman on the street along the lines of "looking good" or even "cheer up, love, it might never happen"?
2. If so, why? What outcome did you expect?
3. What do you think constitutes street harassment?
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 9:53 am

ZoZo wrote:
1. Have you ever shouted or said something to a strange woman on the street along the lines of "looking good" or even "cheer up, love, it might never happen"?

No. Do you consider the examples you cited street harassment?

I consider it street harassment when I walk down the street hand in hand with a guy and I get cursed to hell for it by complete strangers. I consider it street harassment when I get footballs punted at me or, more to the point, straightforward threats of violence flung at my head because some prejudiced people happen to have a weird, uncanny gaydar and think pulling that sort of behaviour is okay 'cause, y'know, I like guys that way.
I consider it street harassment when my sister has a guy following her for two blocks and muttering all sorts of vulgar things under his breath. I consider it street harassment, because she felt obligated to go out of her way and ask her little brother to walk her home because she was just that scared. (My sister is a very self-possessed woman. It takes something bad to throw her into being afraid.) I consider it street harassment when groups of guys block your path and make you feel uncertain about whether you will make it home tonight.

Is guys coming up to you on the street and asking if you look good objectifying? Most definitely. Annoying? Probably, I wouldn't know. Is it a sign of the patriarchy because it's almost without exemption guys whistling at women and never the other way around? Hell's yeah. Do I think it's street harassment? Not really. I mean, not if it is just one throwaway comment and nothing else of much happens. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are plenty of women who find these kind of comments frightful and consider themselves actually harassed rather than just vaguely irked, but I think you're sort of trivializing the idea of street harassment when you apply it to these sort of situations.
And I sure as shit don't think it's an appropriate response to shoot a guy in the face because he says 'what's cooking, good-looking?'. Just thought I'd make that clear. Wink

Ahem. Darnit. I'd sworn I wouldn't let myself be drawn into another vaguely hysterical debate on gender on this board. (Mostly because I tend to get vaguely hysterical along with everyone else. Eh.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 10:36 am

ZoZo wrote:
It is satirical and it's not promoting self defence

Creator of the game says:
Quote :
Ms. LOOUI: Thank goodness for that. So that was the moment when I decided that I was going to make this game and it would be an ode the young man on the subway platform in New York. The next two years it just became this other thing this project about how to create conversations around the whole issue and just how its a very difficult topic, just how people engage in a really different way around it.

Anyway, the good thing is, crappy gameplay aside, we're talking about the issue of why women might get a tiny little bit pissed off by street harassment.

Bolding mine. IMO, crappy gameplay isn't an aside, it's a serious problem. If you want to raise awareness of street harassment, more power to you. Write a book, make a film, whatever, but do it right; don't make a game if you can't be arsed with the part where you actually make a game.
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 am

Really, game? All the enemies are just palette swaps of one another? Give me Mancubuses, Arachbrotrons - hell, anything other than these assholes. Paintriarchy Elementals, even.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:45 pm

I imagine a Patriarchy Elemental would look a lot like this guy:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:07 pm

TheHermit wrote:
I imagine a Patriarchy Elemental would look a lot like this guy:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Image not loading.

(Pyramid Head? If that's not a Patriarchy Elemental, there ain't no such animal. (Maybe Magus of the Arena?))
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 7:00 pm

I think Hermit tried to post the troll face, gai. I just tried it myself and it's not loading.

And don't go dragging Pyramid Head into this. He's too badass to get involved in one of these discussions.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 7:43 pm

No, it was this video of a man slapping a woman's backside in order to set her up for a pie to the face.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 1:30 am

Free image servers suck, film at 11.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 8:58 pm

ZoZo wrote:
2. If so, why? What outcome did you expect?
3. What do you think constitutes street harassment?

1.) I usually only interact with someone on the street if I know them in SOME way. Like, at least classmate who may be able to answer me a question. If I make eye contact with someone, I might give a halfassed "hey" and keep walking. I delude myself into thinking I have better things to do than waste time with strangers. Razz

Also, I'd never call anyone love. I'm American, not retarded. Colbert And I don't even know what "it" means in that sentence.

3.) Continuing to bother someone after they've told you to stop bothering them. There might be less clear cut examples, but I'm not going to spend nine paragraphs trying to describe it. Something about knowing it when one sees it.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Can't we all just agree this game is crappy, pretentious, and heavy-handed?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 10:17 pm

I think we did that already. Now we're arguing about unrelated stuff.

Rule 25: Relation to the original topic decreases with every post.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 10:23 pm

I actually played the game now.

One guy said to me "Hey, nice crotch."

Do people even say that? Seriously? That's like the time I heard this guy hit on a girl by telling her she had a "pretty mouth". I didn't know people actually said things like that!
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 2:42 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:

Do people even say that? Seriously? That's like the time I heard this guy hit on a girl by telling her she had a "pretty mouth". I didn't know people actually said things like that!
I once got "Hey, sexy cunt, can I put my dick in your arse?"

It didn't even make any sense. Upset
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 6:05 am

IF this game were any more ham-fisted it'd need FDA approval
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 1:17 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:

I once got "Hey, sexy cunt, can I put my dick in your arse?"

It didn't even make any sense. Upset
I had a man mutter at me that he'd "lick dat ass all night long". It was gross and the polar opposite of sexy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hey, Baby   Hey, Baby - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey, Baby
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next