Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!

Go down 
+6
Malganis
Psy-4
XLT-100852.0
Jesus.
Sutremaine
TheHermit
10 posters
AuthorMessage
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! Empty
PostSubject: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Isn't the world a wonderful place to be a girl?

Quote :
There is a practice called “breast ironing” in the African country of Cameroon, a practice which involves flattening a girl’s growing breasts with hot stones to prevent her nipples from being firm and “enticing men.” The news network CurrentTV filmed a short documentary on “breast ironing,” specifically how mothers believe it will “protect”
their daughters from teen pregnancy if men are not tempted by their
pert breasts.
By the by, here's a youtube link to that short documentary.

Quote :
Girls as young as 9 have their breasts ironed as soon as
they start to develop, which is happening earlier and earlier as
nutrition improves. According to CurrentTV, half of young girls under
age 9 who develop early suffer from the practice. Not surprisingly,
breast ironing causes numerous health problems, such as burns and
abscesses — to say nothing of the psychological damage it must do.
So let's see what we've got here. The idea that a girl who isn't even ten years old can seduce anyone. Blaming women for men not being able to keep hold of their penises. Ritual scarring as a direct response to a fear of female sexuality. A profound lack of concern for the emotional and physical well-being of young girls.

Oh yeah, there's gonna be a lot of rage in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:17 pm

So is this going to be a repeat of the FGM thread? 'Cause it boils down to the same issues.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 pm

How does burning flatten boobs?
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Jesus. wrote:
I'm assuming they just burn the nipple...
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:03 pm

wait no what is this why are they doing this
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Jesus. wrote:

...Scar tissue? *shrugs* That can bind up normal breast skin and change how it hangs or pokes out -- I know this from personal experience.

I've heard of this; apparently some variants of this mutilation involve binding and beating of the breasts.

The strange thing about this is, most painful or disfiguring involuntary surgeries/mutilations performed on children involving making them 'attractive', 'fit', or 'proper' to have as a wife/husband, like footbinding and FGM for girls. Yet this seems to be discouraging. I have to wonder where this practice fits in with that since it is explicitly discouraging male attention -- do men in this society consider a woman 'loose' if she hasn't had this done? Is it considered a badge of honor, or something? Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! 309696

Just... sick, sick, so fucking sick. Lying on your developing breasts is uncomfortable enough... I can't imagine what having your parents BURN or BEAT them feels like... Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! 556166

Though, this really isn't News; I think it should go in Subcultures.
Back to top Go down
pirategrrl
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
pirategrrl

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:27 pm

And why is it the little girl's fault that the men may be enticed by a hard nipple?

Maybe it's not even her nipple they're looking at.

Maybe there's a yeti behind her or something. And they've pissed themselves with fear.

Seriously though: Who comes up with this shit? What kind of person? WTF
Back to top Go down
http://www.fictionpress.com/~pirategrrl
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:45 pm

pirategrrl wrote:
And why is it the little girl's fault that the men may be enticed by a hard nipple?

Maybe it's not even her nipple they're looking at.

Maybe there's a yeti behind her or something. And they've pissed themselves with fear.

Seriously though: Who comes up with this shit? What kind of person? WTF

A good many of these tribal practices literally go back centuries. They've found references to FGM being practiced in Egypt in 63 BC, which predates both the rise of Christianity and Islam, and there is no mention in either The Bible or the Koran to FGM. This, apparently, is one practice we can't blame on modern religion.

What I would wonder is how do they manage to 'burn' the nipple to make it suitably flat, but not destroy it so completely the woman can't breast feed when she has children? Since in the vast majority of these societies women regularly breast feed.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 10:18 pm

I remember when we had this thread back on GAFF.

In 2005.

I believe I said something like "If 85% of Africa were to be swallowed into hell, Earth would be a nicer place, and hell would decline."
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! EmptyFri Jul 23, 2010 2:43 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
What I would wonder is how do they manage to 'burn' the nipple to make it suitably flat, but not destroy it so completely the woman can't breast feed when she has children?

This, times a million.

Ladies and gentlemen, in this corner, weighing some seventy thousand pounds, we have a group of conscious Western consumer boycotting Nestlé over their unethical campaigns promoting formula in Third World countries; and in this corner, weighing seventy thousand pounds as well, we have a culture doing some weird shit that will force the next generation to depend entirely on formula if the practice takes hold.

The match will begin in seconds! But first, a few words from our sponsor, ..."Lion" chocolate bars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!   Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing! Empty

Back to top Go down

Next on Patriarchy Theater: Breast Ironing!
Page 1 of 1