Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

G20 Protests turn violent

Go down 
+4
WD40
Rabid Badger
Psy-4
Dr. Professor Science
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

G20 Protests turn violent Empty
PostSubject: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 4:52 pm

G20 Riots in Toronto

Really great photos

Quote :
Black-clad demonstrators broke off from a crowd of peaceful protesters at the World Summit, torching police cruisers and smashing windows with baseball bats and hammers.
Police with shields and clubs earlier pushed back another small group of demonstrators who tried to head south toward the security fence surrounding the perimeter of the Group of Twenty global economic summit site. Some demonstrators hurled bottles at police.

"This isn't our Toronto and my response is anger," Toronto Mayor David Miller told CP24 television. "Every Torontonian should be outraged by this."

The roving band of protesters in black balaclavas shattered shop windows for blocks, including at police headquarters, then shed some of their black clothes, revealing other garments, and continued to rampage through Toronto's downtown core.

Protesters torched at least two police cruisers in different parts of the city.

Police in riot gear and riding bikes formed a blockade, keeping protesters from approaching the security fence a few blocks south of the march route. Police closed a stretch of Toronto's subway system along the protest route and the largest shopping mall downtown closed after the protest took a turn for the worse.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So guess where I was today.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 7:32 pm

inb4 fuck-the-police idiots
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Downtown?

So was anyone hurt? Or arrested? Do we even know what they're protesting? Do THEY even know what they're protesting?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 8:06 pm

It was an anarchist group called the Black Bloc.

A few of them were injured. Nobody else was, to my knowledge.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 8:51 pm

Received this tweet from Sunny Hundal today:

Quote :
Wow, riots at G20 protests in Toronto eh. Who knew Canadians even knew how to riot?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 10:06 pm

We riot politely, apologising after every window we smash. While wearing toques.

My dad said someone hurled a concrete chunk over his head and smashed a window with it.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 pm

It's the G20. Of course there was a riot. There's a riot every time they meet.

Same with the WTO.
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 9:15 am

Who didn't see this coming? I mean, our most popular weekly newspaper was providing tips on how to deal with tear gas, be prepared for sonic weaponry, and legally resist arrest.

I stayed away because the paper said they had attack dogs, and I've been scared of police dogs ever since my unfortunate encounter with George W. Bush.
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Location : on a tall ship far away from the bullshit, on the port side of course

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 9:16 am

saeku wrote:
tips on how to deal with tear gas, be prepared for sonic weaponry, and legally resist arrest.

Link, perchance?
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 9:37 am

Khajidu wrote:
saeku wrote:
tips on how to deal with tear gas, be prepared for sonic weaponry, and legally resist arrest.

Link, perchance?

This week's NOW magazine was the G20 protest issue. Check out the ultimate G20 protest kit to make your own all-natural gas mask! (I couldn't find the "how not to get arrested" sidebar; I think it was only in the print version.)
Back to top Go down
Khajidu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Khajidu

Location : on a tall ship far away from the bullshit, on the port side of course

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks. Read it.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 1:12 pm

Also, this.

I never said it was unexpected.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:56 pm

*le sigh*

As a residual of the hot '70s, we have a law forbidding to go around in public with your face covered except for safety issues (eg motorcycle helmets and paint masks). Is there something similar that can be exploited to corral these guys and put them in the locker for a few days?

I'm as much against globalization as the next guy, but looting shops and burning cars is a criminal offence.

Not to mention the pigs then dodge the bad guys and beat the good ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: G20 Protests turn violent   G20 Protests turn violent Empty

Back to top Go down

G20 Protests turn violent
Page 1 of 1