Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan

Go down 
+10
Bamshalam
Electron Blue
TheHermit
The Alien from Uranus
Braigwen
rae
Maximilia
The Unoriginal
bleachedblackcat
Malganis
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan Empty
PostSubject: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:02 am

Link

Quote :
When her baby died soon after delivery, Gulbahor Zavidova, 28, a
poor farmer’s wife, longed to be pregnant again. After months of trying
she and her husband visited a doctor who told her she could never have
another child because she had been sterilised.

The procedure had been performed immediately after she gave birth,
by doctors who did not ask her consent. On learning she could not bear
children, her husband left her.

“Not a day passes without me crying,” she said. “I was outraged when
I found out what they had done. How could they do such a horrible thing
without asking me?”

Why was this done, you might ask?

Quote :
According to human rights groups, tens of thousands of young women like Zavidova have been sterilised without their consent in the
authoritarian former Soviet state of Uzbekistan.

Uzbek sources say the measure was ordered by Islam Karimov, the
president, who has ruled with an iron fist for 20 years. The policy is
aimed at keeping down the country’s poor population — with 28m people,
it is Central Asia’s most densely populated state.

What's next, killing them off en masse? Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan 724940

Quote :
“We estimate that since February, about 5,000 women have been
sterilised without consent,” said a local human rights campaigner who
fears detention if she is named.

In many cases, doctors opt for delivery by caesarean section and
then perform a sterilisation without telling the woman. Widespread
rumours of the practice have resulted in women opting for home births
to avoid the risk.

Doctors visited Hidojat Muminova, a 26-year-old cotton picker, at
home several months ago. They told the mother of two she should visit a
local hospital for a check-up, at which she was diagnosed with a
potentially fatal cyst in her fallopian tubes.

“They scared me into believing I needed an urgent operation,” she
said. “I was surprised as I’d never had any pain but I was worried and
agreed to the surgery. When it was over they told me they’d performed a
sterilisation. I could not stop crying. They tricked me and treated me
like an animal.”

Another victim, Mahmuda Usupova, 30, said doctors had sterilised her
after she gave birth to her third child by caesarean several months
ago. She learnt she could no longer have children during a visit to her
gynaecologist.

Actually, I wouldn't be too suprised if they start mass-murdering Uzbek peasants, considering that

Quote :
Under the 72-year-old Karimov, Uzbekistan has become highly
repressive. Opponents have been jailed, tortured and killed. Two
critics of the regime, who were accused of being Islamic militants,
were scalded to death after boiling water was poured over them.

Hundreds of civilians died when the police and army fired
indiscriminately into a large crowd of protesters in Andijan in 2005.
The Sunday Times has been denied entry to Uzbekistan ever since because
its coverage is considered “unfriendly”.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySat May 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Quote :
On learning she could not bear

*rage*

*reads rest*

*RAGE*
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySat May 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Apart from the scalding water thing, IIRC the US of A perform this trick occasionally in the Native reserves.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySat May 01, 2010 5:23 pm

The Unoriginal wrote:
Apart from the scalding water thing, IIRC the US of A perform this trick occasionally in the Native reserves.

Not to be a bitch, but citation please? I mean, the US of A has just a brilliant track records with minorities (insert sarc mark here), but AFAIK they never tried mass sterilization. Unless you count murder as sterilization. Which, I suppose, in a way it is since they can't reproduce if they're dead.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Nihilist wrote:
Maximilia wrote:
The Unoriginal wrote:

Not to be a bitch, but citation please? I mean, the US of A has just a brilliant track records with minorities (insert sarc mark here), but AFAIK they never tried mass sterilization. Unless you count murder as sterilization. Which, I suppose, in a way it is since they can't reproduce if they're dead.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'd quote parts of it but it seems that the whole article speaks for itself in this regard.

No, no, thank you on that. I hadn't ever heard anything about that particular atrocity. Yay?

EDIT: Which is even more embarrassing since this WARN was organized in Rapid City. *facepalm* You know, like 40 miles from me.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Damn it, Nihilist! >____< I was really, really, really hoping it was just confusion with the eugenics program that I already knew about. I should have known better. Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan 309696
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySat May 01, 2010 11:42 pm

Google Margaret Sanger

Sanger was a proponent of negative eugenics, a social philosophy which claims that human hereditary traits can be improved through social intervention. Sanger's eugenic policies ran to an exclusionary immigration policy, free access to birth control methods and full family-planning autonomy for the able-minded, and compulsory segregation or sterilization for the profoundly retarded. She expressly denounced euthanasia as a eugenics tool.

In A Plan for Peace (1932), for example, Sanger proposed a congressional department to:

Keep the doors of immigration closed to the entrance of certain aliens whose condition is known to be detrimental to the stamina of the race, such as feebleminded, idiots, morons, insane, syphilitic, epileptic, criminal, professional prostitutes, and others in this class barred by the immigration laws of 1924.[21]

And, following:

Apply a stern and rigid policy of sterilization and segregation to that grade of population whose progeny is already tainted or whose inheritance is such that objectionable traits may be transmitted to offspring.[21]

Eugenics and Euthanasia
Back to top Go down
The Alien from Uranus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
The Alien from Uranus

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 1:23 am

Gah, those poor women! Will misogyny never DIE?!

Quote :
The procedure had been performed immediately after she gave birth,
by doctors who did not ask her consent. On learning she could not bear

Fucking. Asshole. Over something she couldn't even control.

Nihilist wrote:
Maximilia wrote:
The Unoriginal wrote:

I'd quote parts of it but it seems that the whole article speaks for itself in this regard.

And, once again, certain Americans forget where the fuck they came from.

Words. They cannot express my rage.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 2:08 am

Sorry for not replying sooner. Given than Nil gave a different source, mine was Mary Crow Dog's autobiography Lakota Woman.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 7:36 am

Nihilist wrote:

God, bless Americaaaaaaa~
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 8:58 am

God dammit
Why are people such fucking assholes
why
I mean it isn't that hard to not be an asshole
Just don't commit heinous crimes against humanity
Last I checked that isn't something you do as a hobby
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 11:28 am

Nihilist wrote:
Maximilia wrote:
The Unoriginal wrote:

Yuuuup. Not to mention that a lot of the same thing was happening to black women in the south for decades.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Bamshalam wrote:
Nihilist wrote:
Maximilia wrote:
The Unoriginal wrote:

Yuuuup. Not to mention that a lot of the same thing was happening to black women in the south for decades.

It always has to be about you, doesn't it? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 12:19 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Bamshalam wrote:
Nihilist wrote:
Maximilia wrote:
The Unoriginal wrote:

It always has to be about you, doesn't it? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'm not from the south, bb.
Back to top Go down
Princess
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Princess

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 3:32 pm

Braigwen wrote:
Google Margaret Sanger

I bet "Planned Parenthood" loves being reminded what kind of a bitch their founder was.

It warms the cockles of my Heart.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptySun May 02, 2010 6:19 pm

I respect Margaret Sanger for her contribution to women's rights. Her stance on eugenics, however, sucked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan EmptyMon May 03, 2010 5:21 am

Good god that's appalling. Why don't they teach sex ed? Or make it so that it is 'not the done thing' to have too many babies? Or just implant a red jewel and kill people off when they can no longer contribute to the economy? Or how about they use new-born babies as a new food source?

Sterilisation without consent though? That's appalling.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan   Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan Empty

Back to top Go down

Thousands of Uzbek women sterilized without consent in Uzbekistan
Page 1 of 1