Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed

Go down 
+27
TheHermit
grmblfjx
Cactus Wren
lemmingwriter
rachel
Root Admin
Ceres
Sloth
Rabid Badger
myeerah
Fairlight
Penguin
Lysander
Verandering
Lapin
gaijinguy
Shisaiga
ZoZo
Snake Bandage
maladroit_mooncalf
theweirdkind
Salamas
bleachedblackcat
Rageful Jewel
Dr. Professor Science
Miss Prince
Lady Anne
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed Empty
PostSubject: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 8:32 pm

Link

Quote :

The tide of extending marriage rights to same-sex couples -- which has swept across New England in recent months -- has stopped at Maine.

Voters rejected a state law Tuesday that would have allowed same-sex couples to wed. The repeal comes just six months after the measure was passed by the Maine legislature and signed by the Democratic Gov. John Baldacci.

Maine would have been the sixth state in the country to allow gay and lesbian couples to marry, but instead becomes the 31st state to oppose the unions in a popular vote.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Why do these idiots think they have a right to interfere in the private lives of other people? Who does it hurt when gays marry? How, exactly does gay marriage make straight marriage less special?

Oh, but think of the cheeldren! If we let gays marry, all the cheeldren will be gay! wail the gay marriage opponents (which is bullshit, but never let logic and facts get in the way of a good whine). Come to think of it, the arguments used against gay marriage now are similar to the ones used against interracial marriage 45 years ago. Yet after interracial marriage was made legal throughout the U.S., people got over it and accepted it (mostly, this guy being a notable exception).

It was bad enough when California banned gay marriage. Maine, you suck, too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 9:03 pm

I hate the world.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 9:17 pm

Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed 309696
Back to top Go down
Rageful Jewel

Rageful Jewel

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 9:44 pm

Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 10:01 pm

Well time to cross Maine off my list of places I might someday get married in.

Though you know what this means? All the anti-gay people will use it to 'show' that ALL the REAL people in the world think gay marriage is wrong and hence all gays should go hid their shame and get married to people of the other gender like the rest.
Back to top Go down
Salamas
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Salamas

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 10:07 pm

Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I was wondering when somebody was going to post this. Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed 309696
Back to top Go down
maladroit_mooncalf
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
maladroit_mooncalf

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 10:29 pm

Dammit!
Back to top Go down
Snake Bandage
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snake Bandage

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 12:42 am

Goddamnit I hate Maine. Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed 309696
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 3:11 am

Why do these things keep getting turned over in the popular vote? Is it apathy? Is it that just over half of Americans are bigots?

I thought Maine was one of the sane states.
Back to top Go down
Shisaiga
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Shisaiga

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 3:17 am

ZoZo wrote:
Why do these things keep getting turned over in the popular vote? Is it apathy? Is it that just over half of Americans are bigots?

Some people like living in the dark ages.

No, it's cheap fright tactics. "If gay marriage is legalized, it will be taught in school and might make YOUR child turn out gay too!" is the rallying cry, I believe. *eyeroll*
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 3:26 am

Shisaiga wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

No, it's cheap fright tactics. "If gay marriage is legalized, it will be taught in school and might make YOUR child turn out gay too!" is the rallying cry, I believe. *eyeroll*
Ah yes. Over here, we had a law forbidding teaching kids that it's OK to be gay. It only went away fairly recently.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 7:18 am

ZoZo wrote:
Damn you, popular sovereignty. Damn you to HELL!

Sorry, we sort of have a tradition with that here.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:10 am

gaijinguy wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

Touche.

So does that mean that more than half of you are bigots, or that the non-bigoted people can't be arsed to vote?

Just wading in with my Eurocentric values, here. Don't mind me.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 am

Shisaiga wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

Remember those BS ads that were used in California, with a "doctor" whining about having to...I'm not quite sure what their complaint was, but it had something to do with gay marriage being EVUL!, and the rest of their like? They used them in Maine.

As for the subject...I'm very sad. And I hope the bill we have up in DC to allow gay marriage goes through. Not only is this hope for my own comfort (I'm not travelling out of state just to get married, fuck that, we'll live in sin) but just so I can do a happy dance at gay marriage opponents. HA! I can marry a woman in the motherfucking CAPITOL! How do you like that?!

Also, we're a republic, not a democracy. So these things can be decided by our representatives, without going to a popular vote. Because that's what a republic does.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:16 am

That's pretty lame, I thought Maine was better than that, too.
Then again, the only contact I have with Maine is via a rather odd furry, and I remember his ideas on this (despite being bisexual himself) was:

Allow gay marriage or ban gay marriage, everyone just needs to shut the fuck up!

ô_o
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 10:52 am

ZoZo wrote:
gaijinguy wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

Touche.

So does that mean that more than half of you are bigots, or that the non-bigoted people can't be arsed to vote?

The first.

Also, democratically sanctioned bigotry is still bigotry and still wrong.
Back to top Go down
Shisaiga
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Shisaiga

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 11:05 am

Lysander wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
gaijinguy wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

Touche.

The first.

Also, democratically sanctioned bigotry is still bigotry and still wrong.
87% voted.
53% of those who voted showed themselves to be bigots/easily frightened.

That means 46% of the people with voting rights in Maine are bigots/easily frightened, whereas 13% apparently don't care enough to vote.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 11:31 am

Shit, you guys really need to stop putting human-rightsy things to the popular vote.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 11:37 am

I would like to point out something the DC Council has told the anti-gay marriage protestors with the opinion about putting this whole thing to a popular vote. To summarize, the protestors basically said that the DC Council was doing something wrong by letting the representatives (The Council) decide about whether gay marriage would be legalized in the capitol.

The DC Council responded that we are in fact a republic, not a democracy. This means that our representatives have the right to pass a bill without putting anything to a popular vote. Even our president is not decided by popular vote, but by representative vote. Which means all those people saying that the Council cannot decide this on their own are actually just fucking stupid and don't know how their own damn city works, much less their country.

That was the implication of their words, not my opinion, though I did find it mildy hilarious.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 12:16 pm

ZoZo wrote:
gaijinguy wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

Touche.

Just wading in with my Eurocentric values, here. Don't mind me.

It's OK. We know you're used to obeying the instructions of your betters [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ZoZo wrote:
Shit, you guys really need to stop putting human-rightsy things to the popular vote.

And it is, of course, the role of enlightened individuals such as yourself to determine which those are, and which issues you'll deign to give the ignorant, unwashed masses a say in.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 12:29 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
ZoZo wrote:

And it is, of course, the role of enlightened individuals such as yourself to determine which those are, and which issues you'll deign to give the ignorant, unwashed masses a say in.

That's the trouble with a republic. Everything's supposed to be done incrementally. It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Too bad. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But let's not be too negative here, remember things can be re-voted for.

The world is still moving in the right direction, it's just going to take longer in some places.
Back to top Go down
Shisaiga
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Shisaiga

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Fairlight wrote:
Too bad. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But let's not be too negative here, remember things can be re-voted for.

The world is still moving in the right direction, it's just going to take longer in some places.
Yeah, and it could always be worse. They are only stuck somewhere in the last century, not in the second to last century, where homosexual sex was punishable by death in a lot of places.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 2:00 pm

gaijinguy wrote:

Popular sovereignty brought about Jim Crow laws. It did not overturn them. That was done by judicial and legislative rulings.

We have three branches of government for a variety of reasons; the tyranny of the majority is one of those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed   Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed Empty

Back to top Go down

Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next