Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rehab staff 'killed web addict'

Go down 
+19
EileenK98
Delcat
Snoof
KGarrett
DeeDee
Mikey Go WOOGA
unskilled78
Psy-4
Narwhal
Rabid Badger
Chaltab
KelinciHutan
Lady Anne
grmblfjx
saeku
ZoZo
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Mafiosa
Lexin
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

Rehab staff 'killed web addict' Empty
PostSubject: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 10:49 am

A warning to us all.

A Chinese teenager sent to an internet addiction rehabilitation camp has allegedly been beaten to death by its counsellors, according to reports.

A number of employees of the Qihang Salvation Training Camp in Nanning have been arrested over the death, his father Deng Fei told the Global Times.

The camp had promised to put Deng Senshan, 15, under 24-hour supervision.

China is increasingly taking action against what it sees as a pandemic of web addiction.

Some estimates suggest up to 10% of the country's 100 million teenage web users could be addicted, and a growing number of rehabilitation services exist.

However, there is little consensus on how to treat the addiction. In July, China's Ministry of Health formally banned the use of electroshock therapy as a treatment option.

According to the China Daily newspaper, an agreement the teenagers' parents signed with the camp said: "The centre can take necessary approaches including punishment to educate the teenager, as long as the approaches will not abuse the child or impair his health."

Camp staff are alleged to have put the teenager in solitary confinement on Saturday and then beaten him that evening.

My emphasis.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 am

China: Look! We cured him!
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:49 am

This probably has to do with China not liking its people getting ideas about freedom from the rest of the world. And the Internet is very much access to radical ideas, like having sex with animals.

Did you know they have their own DVD region code?
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:57 am

But... but as far as I understand it, ECT works for depression rather than addictions anyway. Rehab staff 'killed web addict' 724940
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:09 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
This probably has to do with China not liking its people getting ideas about freedom from the rest of the world. And the Internet is very much access to radical ideas, like having sex with animals.
Bestiality! Radical! Modern! Liberating! The American way!

I'm guessing there's more bestiality in China than in America, because there are more lonely teenage farm boys with nothing better to do.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:16 pm

saeku wrote:
because there are more lonely teenage farm boys with nothing better to do.
And fewer girls. Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Lexin wrote:
A warning to us all.

Yeah, to not go to China, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:25 pm

Lexin wrote:
According to the China Daily newspaper, an agreement the teenagers' parents signed with the camp said: "The centre can take necessary approaches including punishment to educate the teenager, as long as the approaches will not abuse the child or impair his health."
Doesn't death impair your health?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:37 pm

ZoZo wrote:
But... but as far as I understand it, ECT works for depression rather than addictions anyway. Rehab staff 'killed web addict' 724940
It does work for some addictions, actually. Very, very severe OCD that's unresponsive to other forms of treatment is sometimes treated with ECT, although that is usually an absolutely last resort.

Of course, "internet addiction" isn't exactly listed in the DSM, but that's another story altogether...
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Doesn't death impair your health?
Well, you'll never need another pill.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 pm

And it does wonders for your health insurance premiums. I knew a guy who died, and his health insurance dropped to $0.00 a month.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 6:46 pm

ZoZo wrote:

Nowadays, ECT is only used for cases of severe depression that don't respond to medication or therapy. My family knew a couple where the husband suffered from bouts of untreatable depression that essentially rendered him unable to function and could stretch on for months. ECT was the measure of last resort-as his wife once told my sister, it was sort of like the electroshock reset his brain back to normal. Then he'd be okay for a a year (sometimes longer), then it would come back and they'd have to do it again.

And it's not without its dangers. He's in his 60s now and suffering from early onset Alzheimers, which his doctors freely admit could easily have been caused by the ECT. On the other hand, if they hadn't done the ECT, he would've most likely had to be institutionalized because he was completely unable to function. The only thing that ever brought him out of the depressive episodes was the electroshock.

Thankfully, cases like that are rare. I've never heard of using ECT to treat any other condition besides severe intractable depression. Of course, this IS China we're talking about, so it's almost a given they're going to have trouble with the idea of ' patient's rights.'
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:01 pm

The rehab has a pretty solid point in its favor. He's not addicted to the internet anymore, now is he?
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:18 pm

Narwhal wrote:
The rehab has a pretty solid point in its favor. He's not anymore, now is he?
Fix'd.

Chaltab wrote:
And it does wonders for your health insurance premiums. I knew a guy who died, and his health insurance dropped to $0.00 a month.
Holy shit, how do I qualify?
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Psy-4 wrote:

Chaltab wrote:
Holy shit, how do I qualify?

Just send your name, address, and your best insults to Cyberwulf, she'll be glad to sort that out for you.

Also, I agree with the whole "web addiction is less of a problem then it is considered to be." dealie.

Now, if you excuse me, I need to go heavily medicate myself in order to get over the pains I'm in for missing you guys.

I'll be back Monday. I hope.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 pm

This.
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DeeDee

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Now, see, I was wondering how the solitary confinement factors into it. I know that psych hospitals sometimes have rooms to put out of control patients in, but I can't think of a reasonable scenario where it would be needed for internet addicts.

But somehow, I don't really trust China's mental health system to be reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 5:52 pm

Hey, I spend like, fourteen hours a day on this computer, and I'm definitely not addicted.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Nobody asked you.
Back to top Go down
Snoof
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snoof

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 7:29 am

Chaltab wrote:
Not always! I knew a guy who died, and the insurance company was after him for years to pay back the medical bills he'd racked up.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:07 am

Or it could have to do with the fact that these kind of rehab clinics are extremely susceptible to system abuse even in the U.S., especially when they're teen rehab clinics. Didn't we have a story relating as much a few months ago?

Having a psych teacher who visits China every year and enjoys seeing how many foreign (to China) websites he can access while he's there, I can attest that they do keep a short leash on connections over there. But this isn't a story about that kind of limitation, it's a story about a corrupt psych institution. It'd be the same if he had been in for alcohol or drugs or anything else.
So does the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and just about every other region with DVDs. Your point?
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:09 am

Delcat wrote:
Having a psych teacher who visits China every year and enjoys seeing how many foreign (to China) websites he can access while he's there, I can attest that they do keep a short leash on connections over there. But this isn't a story about that kind of limitation, it's a story about a corrupt psych institution. It'd be the same if he had been in for alcohol or drugs or anything else.
So does the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and just about every other region with DVDs. Your point?
The U.S. and Canada don't have their own region codes. God, it would be horrible if that were true.
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:13 am

They share a region code, is what I mean to say. Sorry. Still.
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 am

Snoof wrote:
Chaltab wrote:
Not always! I knew a guy who died, and the insurance company was after him for years to pay back the medical bills he'd racked up.

Don't they know zombies can't hold decent jobs? They keep eating their co-workers.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 pm

Delcat wrote:

The point is that the UK shares a region code with the rest of Europe, the Middle East, Japan, Greenland and South Africa (the country), America shares its code with Canada, all of South and Central America and Austrailia share a region code, much of Asia and Russia shares a code with most of Africa, parts of the Eastern islands around and including Indonesia, Thailand and South Korea have a code - but China is the only COUNTRY that has a region code ALL TO ITSELF.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rehab staff 'killed web addict'   Rehab staff 'killed web addict' Empty

Back to top Go down

Rehab staff 'killed web addict'
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next