Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kakashifan727
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. Empty
PostSubject: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 1:29 pm

I believe it was called the 'Seven Sleepers' or some bullshit like that. I had it for my childhood and finished it like when I was ten. Basically the books felt like a ripoff of Narnia, except replace magical closet/wardrobe with nuclear war that forces people all over the world to keep teenagers of various ethnic backgrounds/stereotypes locked in some kind of dome. Then the kids go to sleep, wake up and find the world transformed. And they have to find the rest of the Seven, make pals with pusedo-Jesus who comes to help from time to time, or some dumb shit's gonna happen. Basically it had Christian imagery and symbols up the ass, kind of like 'The Door Within' another insane Christian/Catholic YA book trying to push it's themes on children.

Wow. Surprised TV Tropes has nothing on these books...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can't find a good snark of the latter; seems to be mostly praising reviews by paid people.

Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
ViewSonic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Christ on a biscuit, "Goel"? I just started reading the link, and already I'm sick of this story.

"This is a story about a very ordinary boy named Josh Adams and a very strange adventure he had. Some of you may want to ask “Is it a true story?” I can only say that a true story is not one that has happened but one that could happen. If you are the sort of person who finds “real” people, such as Zachary Taylor, more interesting than Robin Hood, you had better stop here and find a “true” history book. (page 7)"

Well, let's turn to page seven and read all about Zachary Taylor. What's that all about?

Also, a true story actually factually is something that did happen. So that's plain incorrect.
Back to top Go down
Kakashifan727
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Eck, I just remember liking them as a small, innocent child. Looking back though, this is utter shite. I'm laughing at how bad the guy is just shoehorning Catholic references into stuff, making the athetistic or agnostic chars look like total douchebags and just relying on lame ass sci-fi tropes to barely pull together this brainwashing tripe.

This is what I kind hate about YA lit sometimes; why do religious authors feel the need to shove shit down people's throats? I don't mind religious themes, or use of myth and stuff, but when it's so blatantly obvious they are trying to convert people and tell everyone else their beliefs are a bunch of BS is when I get pissed. This guy and the other one are so unsubtle about it...it just grinds my gears.

The Door Within has this odd thing where people's eyes glint to show who they are aligned with: Blue for God, Red for the devil, and green for undecided. The MC later comes across an odd pit or gate type thing where people in chains are being dragged; it's obviously Hell. Then we find out that people who are Red or Green tinted, when they die or The Time Comes, are sent there when they die. The undecided/unsure are basically screwed; and I think this also applies to children as well. It's just sick to me.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am

Kakashifan727 wrote:

Wow. Surprised TV Tropes has nothing on these books...
Probably afraid of getting their brains broken. Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. 611762 
Back to top Go down
ViewSonic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
ViewSonic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 5:35 am

I couldn't continue reading the sporkings. It's not even bad in a funny way, it's bad in a boring way. All I can imagine from the imagery is deserts and crap. It's just like New Vegas minus the charm.
Back to top Go down
Kakashifan727
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 3:14 pm

It's fine. Thank God for Harry Potter though, else this and a Series of Unfortunate Events would be all I had to read. Maybe...or at least from early childhood. Anyone else have books from their childhood that they thought were great back then but realize are shit now?
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptyFri Apr 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Kakashifan727 wrote:
Anyone else have books from their childhood that they thought were great back then but realize are shit now?

Anything with "Conan" in the title.
It's not exactly YA, but who could resist those Frank Frazetta covers?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I would slip in my father's room to read, then one day find they had been hidden, search, find them, read again, hidden again, found again... clearly someone did not approve of me reading them but didn't want to confront me openly. Perhaps they feared the fascination of forbidden things even more, but then why hide them?
People are not complicated, but occasionally they're contorted.
Back to top Go down
Kakashifan727
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Why does EVERY cover have a person on a horse? It's the same couple people too. Talk about lazy.

Another series is the Drizzt saga by R.A. Salvatore. Really I picked those books up during high school and they were the best thing since sliced bread. Then cue the Hunter's Blades trilogy. And the Ghost/Pirate/Litch King. These ruined the series for me. Poor Cadderly, Regis and Cattie-brie. Deserved much better than what they got.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Kakashifan727 wrote:
Why does EVERY cover have a person on a horse? It's the same couple people too. Talk about lazy.
Don't blame Frazetta... I just like horseys and picked my favs. Given the obvious theme restriction, he did vary his subjects.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.   Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark. Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone remember this awful YA series? Thinking of doing a snark.
Page 1 of 1