Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Soldier has baby "on the frontline"

Go down 
+6
bleachedblackcat
Sakurelf
Mikey Go WOOGA
grmblfjx
Penguin
WD40
10 posters
AuthorMessage
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

Soldier has baby "on the frontline" Empty
PostSubject: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:49 am

Link to BBC

Quote :
A British servicewoman has given birth to a baby boy in Afghanistan having not realised she was pregnant.

"Mother and baby are both in a stable condition," said the Ministry of Defence, following the birth on Tuesday in Camp Bastion, Helmand province.

And now... I present to you, with utmost glee, THE DAILY MAIL COMMENTS COMMUNITY COMEDY FUNBAG!

Speaking as a woman:

Quote :
"just typical of a woman! im female myself and my brother is in the Royal Marines so i think i have a right just like most to comment! women have fought for equality and equal rights for years. this just messes up everything they have ever fought for. How can this woman be taken seriously by her colleagues anymore?! Keep the frontline for real men. Woman are too emotional for that sort of thing."

You're missing what we're really concerned about:

Quote :
"Will the little one be an Afgan citizen ?"

Quote :
"Will he have dual nationality?"

Quote :
Poor child will have Afghanistan listed as it's country of birth, even if the child doesn't apply for an Afghan passport.

Quote :
"I would be somewhat concerned that my baby was born in Afghanistan - as per nationality".

These damn foreigners! Always finding new ways to infiltrate Britain and sponge off our benefits!

Quote :
"The things some people will do to end up with a council house and all expenses paid lifestyle in the UK"

Holy shit! Someone actually said it! This guy is probably dead serious too!

Where's the daddy?

Quote :
"Dads probably a Taliban."

Okay.

Quote :
"Its no wonder these 9th. century throwbacks are winning. Throw all FEMALES out of the military and unloose the DOGS of WAR. Let the MEN kill ALL of the enemy NOW!"

FULL HOUSE! WOOOO!

Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 5:50 am

British PT standards must be abysmal.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:30 am

WD40 wrote:
Speaking as a woman:

Quote :
"just typical of a woman! im female myself and my brother is in the Royal Marines so i think i have a right just like most to comment! women have fought for equality and equal rights for years. this just messes up everything they have ever fought for. How can this woman be taken seriously by her colleagues anymore?! Keep the frontline for real men. Woman are too emotional for that sort of thing."

I can spot three istances of broken logic. Anyone got more?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 am

grmblfjx wrote:
WD40 wrote:
Speaking as a woman:

Quote :

I was counting the whole thing as one large ass logic clusterfuck. Colbert

I don't understand how.

Seriously.

HOW

How does a woman who is presumably physically fit not notice gaining 40 lbs and vomiting every morning?

How does ANYONE serving with her not notice something is amiss?

"Hey, Sally, you appear to have an abnormal growth in your abdomen, I recommend you visit the nearest doctor and ask his opinion."

"Thank you, Jack, but I have already done so. The good doctor was of the opinion that it was a benign tumor and that it is no cause for alarm."

Goddamn Brits, talking all fancy.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 am

Haven't read the comments, but have they brought up the high incidences of military rape yet?
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:31 am

Sakurelf wrote:
Haven't read the comments, but have they brought up the high incidences of military rape yet?

No.

And probably because it's not fucking related.

Idiot.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 1:44 pm

Hey Mikey, I have a new show for you to watch. It's called "I didn't know I was pregnant". It's a really fun show *cackles gleefully*
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 pm

MOAR! Excitedplz

I blame the parents!

Quote :
Erm''''would it have been cheaper to fly HER to Radcliffe Hospital ? - Tony Young, Derby, 20/9/2012 9:29 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yes, it would The thing is that a premature child is involved and deserves a level of care needed for a pre-term neo-nate. None of this carry-on is the child's fault. (But send the bill to the parents, not the NHS!)

Fucking females and their wombs, having sex and not thinking of anyone but themselves!

Quote :
It is a ridiculous waste of resources and money to send a team of doctors out there for this one woman. If she wants to be in the army and breed, she needs to decide her priorities, before signing up to serve the country.

Quote :
Despite what may be said, 'This Female must have known she was pregnant' , We can only now wait to understand why she did not inform her command of her condition? Let us wait and see!

Quote :
I don't understand how a woman would not know. My gosh (1) you've done the "deed" (2) you "monthly visitor" has stopped coming and (3) you've gained a lot of weight in a short period of time. And, she's smart enough to get in the army?

Quote :
There is not a woman who ever walked this planet who has not known she was pregnant.

[[Posted by a man]]

Can't even do her job right, and who has to pick up the slack?

Quote :
and who's doing her duties while she nurses the child? probably some poor bloke will have to do her share as well as his own typical selfish female

Fucking sex-having vagina owners shouldn't be out there anyway!

Quote :
Women shouldn't be on the front line, as is their nature to be over emotional and less physically strong.

My experience invalidates yours!

Quote :
Having been pregnant I completely disbelieve anyone who claims they had no idea they were pregnant.

Women soldiers? Attention grabbing whores, all of them! Should stick to proper duties like being Heroic Nurses!

Quote :
how many female soldiers have been killed in action in the front line ?i am not talking of the heroic nurses but front line soldiers yet these people will come back and claim all the promotions and if they don't get the promotion will say it's sexism, women serve in a support roll leaving the soldering to the men

And the gold medal for incoherent douchebaggery goes to...

Quote :
She is doing a man's job so probably sees herself as a man not a woman who could get pregnant. Some mums don't half have them. If women can be on the front line I also want to see them competing against men in shoooting and archery and sailing in the Olympics. Then we will be able to see if they are capable of winning against the best males. If not, only the best males should be on the front line. I don't hear the feminists clamouring to make this happen because even they have a sneaking suspicion that the women aren't going to win many medals in unisex events.

We're still worried about letting in another dirty foreigner. Best get the details right so we know whether to hate the kid or not:

Quote :
Here is a conundrum for you. She gave birth in Camp Bastian which is a UK/US Armed forces base, Which as we know is in Afghanistan. So is the baby British, American or Afghan. Officially country of birth on the certificate should say Afghanistan. so the poor kid is now going to grow up in the crazy weird world we have as an afghan citizen with 2 British Parents. Thats gonna cause problems in the future for sure.

Quote :
So, the child has dual nationality....British/ Talibanian ?

Fucking Talibanians!

Oh, I'm done...
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:48 pm

Oh for FUCK's sake people, it was a six-month tour! It's like they've got the bizarro version of this problem:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
WD40 wrote:
Speaking as a woman:

Quote :

I don't understand how.

Ah, but your issue is with the story, whereas mine is with the comment quoted above.

Ex. A: "Let me cite several things that give me the same right everybody else has!"

Ex. B: "I can comment on this because I know someone who's in a similar situation, except elsewhere, and for a different country, and of a different sex."

Ex. C: "Women have fought sexism for years! She's messing up! How typical of a woman!!"

Ex. D: "I'm mad about her being bad for the feminist movement (somehow). It just proves that women shouldn't be doing men's jobs!"

Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 3:52 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
WD40 wrote:
Speaking as a woman:

Quote :

I don't understand how.

Ah, but your issue is with the story, whereas mine is with the comment quoted above.

Ex. A: "Let me cite several things that give me the same right everybody else has!"

Ex. B: "I can comment on this because I know someone who's in a similar situation, except elsewhere, and for a different country, and of a different sex."

Ex. C: "Women have fought sexism for years! She's messing up! How typical of a woman!!"

Ex. D: "I'm mad about her being bad for the feminist movement (somehow). It just proves that women shouldn't be doing men's jobs!"

No no. I meant for my post to be broken up in two parts. The first part was calling the comment one logic trainwreck instead of bothering to identify every individual logical fallacy, the second part was confounded babbling.
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Of course if the army is anything like the one here in the USA there is going to be some poor sod assigned to this case who has to make sure that she was using birth control AS SOON as she found out that she was being deployed.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:13 pm

It's entirely possible for a woman to be pregnant and not know it. Some women bleed every month throughout pregnancy. Some women have periods so infrequently that they don't find it out of the ordinary not to have them. Not all women have morning sickness. Some women carry their babies in such a way that they don't have the expected "baby bump." Also, this baby was premature, so it was probably smaller than the average full-term baby, and thus didn't take up as much space in the abdomen as a larger baby. And, as far as weight gain goes, some women gain less weight than others--some even lose weight during pregnancy (and a person doesn't always notice weight gain if it isn't a great deal of weight).
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:18 pm

bleachedblackcat wrote:
Of course if the army is anything like the one here in the USA there is going to be some poor sod assigned to this case who has to make sure that she was using birth control AS SOON as she found out that she was being deployed.

Hahaha yeah okay

Show me the fucking reg
Back to top Go down
bleachedblackcat
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Penguin wrote:
bleachedblackcat wrote:

Hahaha yeah okay

Show me the fucking reg

My mom's company had four women knocked up right before they were told they were deploying (or right after, or the day of, no one knows) someone had the bright idea to instigate if they had done it or not (in this case the guy in charge of it went "Did you do it to get out of war? Nope? 'K, bummer you can't come along huh?") They probably wouldn’t have given a rat’s ass, but the paper had headlines going on and on about how the women had done it on purpose.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Yeah, it'd be a really bad move to even ask about it if you're in a position of authority over them, even if they're openly bragging about doing it (you'd think nobody would be that dumb, and then someone will always prove you wrong). The military, for better or for worse, pretty much treats pregnancy as sacrosanct. Probing into someone's medical records without sufficient cause (e.g. they're wounded, talking about suicide, etc) is bad juju.

Remember that one commander who tried to institute a pretty mild ban on deployed pregnancies in Iraq, where both parties would be reprimanded? He had to back down from that policy.

Once the rumor mill gets started, though, it's pretty damn hard to shut down.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 11:52 am

I heard on the news that the woman got pregnant before she was deployed so it's not like she got pregnant there.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:05 pm

karmyn31 wrote:
I heard on the news that the woman got pregnant before she was deployed so it's not like she got pregnant there.

FTFA:

Quote :
The woman went to Afghanistan in March and her baby was five weeks premature.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Which means she was a few weeks along at least.
I guess people who read and comment on the Daily Mail are unaware of how these things work.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 8:48 pm

I had a friend who was not aware she was pregnant till she went into labor. Her periods had always been irregular (despite her physician puting her on birth control pills to try and regulate them). She was capable of going two of three months without a period, then maybe bleeding for three days.

She gained aproximately six lbs when she was pregnant (the baby weighed 5 lbs 8 oz. at birth), and at no point did either she, her husband, or her doctor suspect she was pregnant. They figured the baby was slightly premature, but she'd continued the two or three months with no period, then bleeding slightly for a few days, during the entire time. She found out she was pregnant when she started having severe pain and ended up in the ER, and the x-ray revealed she was pregnant.

So it IS possible for a woman to not know she's pregnant. Given that she was a soldier on the front lines and probably stressed out, it likely didn't occur to her anything was unusual (stress can mess up a woman's periods).

Also, until we find out who the baby's father was, a child born on foreign soil is generally considered to be of the nationality as it's mother. Also, I find the immediate assumption that if she was raped, it must have been by member of the Taliban, to be the most fucked-up thing I've ever read, since the vast majority of rapes of women in the military are committed by their fellow male soldiers. If she was raped, it was most likely by someone in her own platoon who threatened her if she told anyone). This is what happens when it's assumed that all men are incapable of being around a woman without automatically lusting after her. The Israeli Army has been integegrated for years, and they don't seem to have the problem with female soldiers being raped that the US and UK do
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
Also, until we find out who the baby's father was, a child born on foreign soil is generally considered to be of the nationality as it's mother.
The baby is a British citizen, despite being born in Afghanistan, because the mother is a British citizen. It doesn't matter what the father's nationality is; the baby will still have British citzenship (a friend of mine was British by birth, married an American, and gave birth to her children in Greece. Since Greece does not automatically confer citzenship upon birth in that country--at least one parent must be a Greek citizen--the children were dual British and American citizens.) Now, if the father is Afghani, the baby might be able to claim Afghani citizenship (I'm not entirely clear on this). If the baby were to be raised in Afghanistan, despite having foreign parentage, it could claim Afghani citizenship at age 18.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Soylent Green
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Soylent Green

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 7:17 pm

They need to learn their history. Women have been giving birth on the front lines for centuries. I mean, I know it wasn't in the Disney movie, but Hua Mulan is one of the most famous women to do so.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 7:49 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soldier has baby "on the frontline"   Soldier has baby "on the frontline" Empty

Back to top Go down

Soldier has baby "on the frontline"
Page 1 of 1