Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!

Go down 
+2
Mikey Go WOOGA
Sakurelf
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! Empty
PostSubject: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:28 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Oh, god, just LISTEN to it! This woman is every insane war-bonnet wearing hipsterette concentrated into one.

Quote :
“I think often I’m led spiritually, and I don’t make my decisions with the full knowledge of the situation. Basically the book was given to me with Tlingit Myths & Texts by John Swanton, and Tlingit language is fortunate to have that resource.”

"I read about this awesome ancient culture in a book once. You can buy my spiritual Native American T-shirt that will totally heal you!"

Quote :
Johnson remarks on the unconventional orthography in the book’s title. “Tlingit” is commonly spelled in English T-L-I-N-G-I-T. Lambert opts for an H, or H-L-I-N-G-I-T. While this is a small difference, it’s also a red flag that Lambert is not following the writing system anywhere in the 630 pages of text.

630 pages. I don't know if it's still along the lines of "cheap profiteering" on a hot trend, or genuine batshittery. There are Real Live Tlingit out there! You can just talk to them! They have phones.

Quote :

So does that mean the Hlingit Word Encyclopedia is a waste? Lambert, who has no advanced degrees and no university position, admits that she produced the book outside the worlds of Tlingit culture and traditional academia. She says she was pulled to Tlingit by its “polarity” with the great cultures of South America.

Her rationale for the huge investment in time and energy in the book may ultimately have little to do with whether or not it is accepted.

Quote :
“To some degree I think I was trying to bring my mother and father back together through my Celtic heritage. My father had a little French, and my mother had a little Scottish. And I thought that when they lost their culture, they lost their reason for being together. And I think that deep in my heart I was looking for that family togetherness, and I wanted to find that through language.”

I'm surprised you can't find this book on Etsy, with lots of smiling, half-naked warbonnet girls dancing around it.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:56 pm

What in the blue fuck is Tlingit and why should anyone care?
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 4:14 am

Oh joy, 630 pages of TAKURALAGUNA!...
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 am

She wrote an encyclopaedia based on the work of a man who couldn't hear many of the sounds and didn't write down all the sounds he could hear (ie. tones), and did it using a writing system not used by anyone else. No wonder the article chooses not to answer the 'is it a waste' question.

Is one of her next seven books going to be a Hlingit to Tlingit dictionary?

Quote :
I thought that when they lost their culture, they lost their reason for being together.
So many questions being begged.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 11:45 am

Sutremaine wrote:
She wrote an encyclopaedia based on the work of a man who couldn't hear many of the sounds and didn't write down all the sounds he could hear (ie. tones), and did it using a writing system not used by anyone else. No wonder the article chooses not to answer the 'is it a waste' question.

Is one of her next seven books going to be a Hlingit to Tlingit dictionary?

Quote :
I thought that when they lost their culture, they lost their reason for being together.
So many questions being begged.

Her first book was a dictionary of Maori. It is available on the author's brilliant website, self-published in all its glory.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mind the broken code, love.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 12:16 pm

No seriously. What the hell is Tlingit? I'm curious and too lazy to Google. Colbert
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 10:19 am

Holy crap! Is there some possibility of money or recognition for doing all this, or is she just an unusually hard-working of loon?
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 am

rachel wrote:
is she just an unusually hard-working of loon?

We are Dyslexic of Borg?

In other news: not answering Mikey's question on general principle because I googled.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! EmptyWed Feb 08, 2012 1:10 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
rachel wrote:
is she just an unusually hard-working of loon?

We are Dyslexic of Borg?

In other news: not answering Mikey's question on general principle because I googled.

GOD DAMN YOU, GERMANY!!1! Angry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!   New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published! Empty

Back to top Go down

New full Encyclopedia of Tlingit language published!
Page 1 of 1