Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Feminists made me play video games!

Go down 
+14
MacedonianSunWarrior
Knorg
Penguin
Sakurelf
Rabid Badger
Maximilia
Cyberwulf
rae
Lapin
grmblfjx
Mr.Doobie
Lurv
Exodia's Right Leg
WD40
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Oh wah wah, Max. It wasn't a post about All Men Everywhere and you know it.

And that isn't blatant shit stirring at all is it.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:57 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

Fuck you.

And Max? Fuck you.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Knorg wrote:
rae wrote:
Knorg wrote:
I'm pretty sure feminists weren't behind my marathon sessions on Barbie's Horse Adventures.

I want pics of this. So seriously.

I was lied to by the box art: Shocked

Spoiler:

<3

I would have been taken in by the box art, too.

Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 309696 Now I want that game to really exist.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 11:36 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

Fuck you.

And Max? Fuck you.

Woo, I get fucked!

The reason why I'm defending the "EBIL MENZ" here is because it's a sweeping generalization, which is sexist. Yes, men have it better... but so? Does that mean that we have to generalize them and put them in a box too? How is that any better? Can't some gamers just be jerks? And no, Cy, I don't know what Sakurelf meant. I can't read minds. What it SAYS is that "male gamers" believe misogyny is okie-dokie (paraphrased, obviously). THAT is what I took offense to, because it's doing the SAME THING to men as the "EBIL MENZ" do to women--it's pointing to the gender as a whole and saying, 'You only act this way.' A jerk is a jerk is a jerk, and those people are everywhere. Fucking hate them because they're jerkoffs and assholes.

That being said, the gaming industry IS skewed towards the so-called male perspective, but that's changing. There haven't been any formal studies done to my knowledge, but surveys done from 2008 onward have indicated that at least a third of all gamers are female, and maybe as many as half, and that it's the fastest growing segment of the gaming population. It's as Lapin said... it's not a closeted hobby anymore. It's mainstream.

EDIT: Edited to correct a typo.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 am

Maximilia wrote:

Woo, I get fucked!

The reason why I'm defending the "EBIL MENZ" here is because it's a sweeping generalization, which is sexist. Yes, men have it better... but so? Does that mean that we have to generalize them and put them in a box too? How is that any better? Can't some gamers just be jerks? And no, Cy, I don't know what Sakurelf meant. I can't read minds. What it SAYS is that "male gamers" believe misogyny is okie-dokie (paraphrased, obviously). THAT is what I took offense to, because it's doing the SAME THING to men as the "EBIL MENZ" do to women--it's pointing to the gender as a whole and saying, 'You only act this way.' A jerk is a jerk is a jerk, and those people are everywhere. Fucking hate them because they're jerkoffs and assholes.

That being said, the gaming industry IS skewed towards the so-called male perspective, but that's changing. There haven't been any formal studies done to my knowledge, but surveys done from 2008 onward have indicated that at least a third of all gamers are female, and maybe as many as half, and that it's the fastest growing segment of the gaming population. It's as Lapin said... it's not a closeted hobby anymore. It's mainstream.

EDIT: Edited to correct a typo.

You know exactly what Sakurelf meant and you know it wasn't "I hate men because they're evil".

The "fuck you" still stands.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 7:42 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
You know exactly what Sakurelf meant and you know it wasn't "I hate men because they're evil".

Congratulations, you've just declared all discussions of sexism invalid.
Back to top Go down
Sakurelf
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sakurelf

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 12:44 pm

Look, I've already discussed this with Max and a few others, and we're pretty cool now.

But to edit: that statement was my own, personal experience. I, personally, have been abused, emotionally and verbally in various gaming communities, due to my gender and looks. No matter which game I turn to, the fan base around it has enough abusive people (Just ignore them, they're only trolls!) to make me feel unwelcome and unequal almost everywhere I went.

Not all male gamers are like this. I admit this. However, it is my own personal experience that enough are like this, that I cannot feel equal or welcome in gaming as a whole. Maybe other women do. Maybe there are communities that focus on womens and gbltq issues to create a welcoming atmosphere away from the over-machismo attitude and "you're such a fag" comments. My experience was a very, very bad one up until I quit.

I do associate that abuse with gaming, because as of yet, I have not found that kind of attitude (see the picture I linked earlier) recreated outside of gaming, both IRL and mostly on the internet. (Not counting communities solely dedicated to women-hating like love-shy, goreans, etc)
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Quote :
Maybe there are communities that focus on womens and gbltq issues to create a welcoming atmosphere away from the over-machismo attitude and "you're such a fag" comments.

If there is anyone who is aware of any such place, I would like to hear about it.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Quote :
These men should be studying in college, getting a job, and contributing to society through the workforce and family. How in the world do they have time to play video games for hours?
This is killing me guys. REAL MENZ DUN HAVE HOBBIES!!

I mean, really, between simultaneously attending college, getting a job, having a job, and raising a family how could I possibly find to time to spend hours doing anything? Oh wait, silly me, I have a vagina, no need for me to attend college or get a job! Doing so would only discourage all those poor, dumb menfolks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feminists made me play video games!   Feminists made me play video games! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Feminists made me play video games!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2