Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake

Go down 
+3
A_Note_Chaotic
Soylent Green
Dr. Professor Science
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake Empty
PostSubject: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Now, the original The Day the Earth Stood Still was a classic. It's possibly one of the best science fiction movies of the twentieth century. It was a caution tale about the Cold War, but it was one of hope. It was intelligent; it knew exactly where its limits were; it kept its message in check - it had meaning, but it also had a story to tell.

And then they decided to remake it. I was pretty damn skeptical about this straight from the beginning. Admittedly, I'm pretty against remakes in the first place (and I can post a rant about that another time), but there's remaking a movie that could be improved and then there's remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still and making the star Keanu Reeves.

My biggest problem with this movie was the way they changed the premise. Now, in the original, Klaatu came to Earth because the direction the Cold War was headed - the threat of nuclear war, especially - could eventually become a danger to other planets as the denizens of the Earth moved into space. In the new movie, he doesn't have a reason quite as rational as that. No, this movie is about global warming. The whole damn movie is just "OH GOD OH GOD YOU'RE GOING TO KILL YOURSELVES YOU DUMBFUCKS". There was no message of hope. They took out valuable plot to insert fight scenes.

Klaatu barada nikto.
Back to top Go down
Soylent Green
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Soylent Green

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 2:19 pm

What is this remake of which you speak?  There is only the 1954 movie and no others.  Ever.

Incidentally, the Agony Booth recapped this non-existent movie.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Agony Booth did a much better job than I did at articulating what's wrong with this movie. Follow that link.
Back to top Go down
A_Note_Chaotic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 4:31 pm

I actually liked it.

I swear I post this in ninety percent of threads. I must have terrible taste.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Y'know, it's okay to like bad things. Whether or not you like things isn't exactly something you're capable of controlling. Meanwhile, you've got to be analytical about whether or not the movie is good. Being good is separate from being something you like.

Also, if you'd seen the original you would raaaage.

What's the point of remaking a classic? Seriously.
Back to top Go down
A_Note_Chaotic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Dr. Professor Science wrote:
Y'know, it's okay to like bad things. Whether or not you like things isn't exactly something you're capable of controlling. Meanwhile, you've got to be analytical about whether or not the movie is good. Being good is separate from being something you like.

Also, if you'd seen the original you would raaaage.

What's the point of remaking a classic? Seriously.

I've seen the original and I didn't enjoy it. I like a lot of bad things. The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake 309696
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 am

The original can't be improved upon. I said this was going to end badly when it was announced they were doing a remake. You can't improve upon perfection.
Reading the recap on the Agony Booth was painful.

You don't fuck with the classics!
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 am

Haaaaa... speaking of "improving" on the classics, anyone see the Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake with Nicole Kidman? Oh, god, that was atrocious, and along the same vein--you can't improve upon perfection, so why try?
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 9:16 am

I refuse to see any of the remakes of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. It's blasphemy.
Back to top Go down
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 12:34 pm

Wasn't the original in B&W? There's your problem right there. Kids these days don't like old timey pictures and need pretty colors. Sad but true.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Oh, I've seen the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Right after we got our PS3 we wanted to watch something on Blu-Ray and that was the only thing readily available. Dear God, it was awful. They just... got better! Arrgh. The original ending was the best part of the movie and they didn't even come close to including it.
Back to top Go down
cristina_chavia
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
cristina_chavia

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 3:37 pm

I went with my yoofs. Even they weren't impressed. Only good point was when I briefly thought "Dude! Is John Cleese telling her to shag an alien for the sake of Earth?!?" He wasn't. Meh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake   The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake Empty

Back to top Go down

The Day the Earth Stood Still - the remake
Page 1 of 1