Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights

Go down 
+9
Penguin
TheIan
WD40
Rabid Badger
bleachedblackcat
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Drabbler
Spotts1701
the asylum
13 posters
AuthorMessage
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights Empty
PostSubject: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Quote :
New Hampshire's new Republican state House speaker is pretty clear about what he thinks of college kids and how they vote. They're "foolish," Speaker William O'Brien said in a recent speech to a tea party group

Oh of course it's the Tea Party. Preaching to the choir much?

Quote :
New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all.

"Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added, his comments taped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."

Which somehow disqualifies them their rights as American citizens. Remember kids, You're either a Republican or a commie Illegal.

Quote :
One bill would permit students to vote in their college towns only if they or their parents had previously established permanent residency there - requiring all others to vote in the states or other New Hampshire towns they come from.

And so of course the students who are pursing the fictional "American Dream" across state lines are shit out of luck then.

Quote :
Another bill would end Election Day registration, which O'Brien said unleashes swarms of students on polling places, creating opportunities for fraud.

Wow, welcome to every election day ever.

You crack me up, America.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 9:55 pm

*facepalm*

The response I found elsewhere to this stupidity is perfect:

Quote :
Ok, so no young people voting because "they don't have life experience and they just vote their feelings."

But, then, we can't have old people voting because they're all stuck in the past and are getting Alzheimer's anyway.

And obviously, no women voting because, you know, all that emotional hormone stuff.

And no gays voting because they only vote to advance their agenda of forcing every person on the planet to gay marry their pets.

Plus, no first-generation citizens voting because they talk funny and aren't "real Americans." And besides, it's too hard to tell them apart from all the illegal aliens ruining the country.

No voting for anyone who doesn't speak English because, hey, if English was good enough for the Bible, it's good enough for the ballot box.

No voting for anyone with strong religious convictions because how do we know they're not brainwashed cult members?

But, also no voting for atheists because they're obvious amoral monsters don't have God to keep them from raping and pillaging everything in sight.

So, once we've got all that covered, we'll find that all electoral decisions will be made by three farmers in Iowa (assuming we don't hear anything fishy from the sheep).
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 10:09 pm

I can't speak to the first one, but I'm surprised that there are any states that allowed people to register and vote on the same day.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Drabbler wrote:
I can't speak to the first one, but I'm surprised that there are any states that allowed people to register and vote on the same day.

Nine states (and D.C.) do it - if you show valid government ID, they'll register you to vote on the spot. Connecticut also allows it, but only during Presidential election years.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 3:39 pm

This reminds me of the first democracy - in Ancient Greece. There were certain requirements to be met...

First of all, no voting for women.

No voting for slaves, natch.

And you had to own property, of course.

And you had to be over 30.

Basically, only about one human being in twenty had an opinion.

Apparently these teenagers shouldn't vote because they're acting on their enotions. Well, that's what a shitload of people do when they vote - they act on their emotions. If they voted on the basis of common sense, do you really think the Republicans would have getten into power two terms running with an idiot like George Bush Junior?

No, this is just an attempt to cut out young people because they statisticallty vote for the Democrats more often.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
This reminds me of the first democracy - in Ancient Greece. There were certain requirements to be met...

Psst, it was an aristocracy. Only one city had a democracy and that only lasted for, at most, thirty years.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 10:03 pm

And obviously, no women voting because, you know, all that emotional hormone stuff.

That was actually one of the major arguments used when women first fought for the right to vote. "Oh they're such emotional, easily lead little creatures, they'll just vote for whoever they think is best looking." They can't possibly understand the importance of serious social issues, including ones that involve them (like the right to own property or obtain a divorce)."
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 am

That got me thinking, Badger...

Quote :
Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."

Quote :
Women's Suffrage will double the irresponsible Vote

Colbert

Thomas Bates, vice president of Rock the Vote wrote:
"We'd like to be advocating for a 21st-century voting system, but here we are fighting against efforts to turn it back to the 19th century."

Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:07 am

Huh. Guess I need to "enlighten" one of my so-called "Representatives" with a cinderblock. I'll be right back.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 am

TheIan wrote:
Huh. Guess I need to "enlighten" one of my so-called "Representatives" with a cinderblock. I'll be right back.

Say hello to the FBI watchlist, Ian.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 am

Penguin wrote:
TheIan wrote:

Say hello to the FBI watchlist, Ian.
It'd be damn well worth it. Like we really need stupid Republicans.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Oh Ian.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 6:41 pm

TheIan wrote:
It'd be damn well worth it. Like we really need stupid Republicans.

Fixed. New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights 961878
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 7:03 pm

I hereby declare that the only reasonable voters are individuals of sentient robot life.

All hail Cleverbot.
Back to top Go down
ZOOLANDER
ZOOLANDER

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights EmptyFri Mar 11, 2011 11:40 pm

Verandering wrote:
I hereby declare that the only reasonable voters are individuals of sentient robot life.

All hail Cleverbot.

Let's put her to the test, shall we?

Quote :
User: If you were allowed to vote in US Presidential elections, who would you vote for?
Cleverbot: Okay.
User: Republican or Democrat?
Cleverbot: Democrat and republican.

There you go, a swinging voter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights   New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights Empty

Back to top Go down

New Hamshire Republicans attempt to clamp down on student voting rights
Page 1 of 1