Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

14 year old whipped to death for being raped

Go down 
+16
KGarrett
WD40
Malganis
rae
XLT-100852.0
Mikey Go WOOGA
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
InkWeaver
TheHermit
Mr.Doobie
Braigwen
Alhazred
myeerah
Cyberwulf
EileenK98
Raine
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

14 year old whipped to death for being raped - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 14 year old whipped to death for being raped   14 year old whipped to death for being raped - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 10:22 am

Malganis wrote:
WD40 wrote:
Malganis wrote:
Question: how was this whipping (and subsequent death) justified (in any way, that includes bending it into a pretzel) by Bangladesh's version of Shariah law?

In short: It isn't, the practice was outlawed last year.. The girl's 'crime' never reached a court of law, it went straight to the local religious leaders.

I meant more "how in the world could/did these religious leaders use Shariah law to justify beating a 14-year-old girl to death for being raped". Then again, maybe they just regularly pull decrees/judgments/sentences out of their asses and everyone just goes along, for whatever reason.

Sorry. Misinterpretation on my part. To be honest, though, it's not limited to Shariah law either, the Torah, and by extention - the Bible, have some similarly themed verses in it, and you'd be kidding yourselves if you think that similar practices are only carried out in the name of Islam/Sharia.

KGarrett wrote:
That's pretty typical for religious leaders, yeah.
Chris91 wrote:
It's not exactly uncommon among secular ones either.

QFT

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
Kiddies, this is RELIGION we're talking about. It doesn't have to make any sense. It just has to come direct from God's brain to the local priest's mouth and straight into that holy whip.

Religion has fuck all to do with it. What you've got here is a group of hateful, fearful ignorant people who have set their sights on one helpless scapegoat, and are using a book not a religion, as an excuse to enact their hatred upon someone who cannot fight back.

There are followers of Islam who are just as sickened by this horrific act carried out in the name of 'Sharia', just as there are appalled Christians who hear tales of vicious acts carried out as 'exorcism'

The religion, as a whole, has gotten beyond this. But there are still some people, usually blighted by poverty, desperation and ignorance, who have little to no other means of escaping their situation than to listen to a hateful bigot given a veneer of respectability due to his possession and interpretation of, I'll say it again, a book, in the hope that performing the actions they describe may alleviate their suffering.

The book does not do this, the religion does not do this, PEOPLE do this. And blaming the acts on a region, or on a book is to remove the responsibility from the people who performed the act.

Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: 14 year old whipped to death for being raped   14 year old whipped to death for being raped - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 10:47 am

It looks like I kinda forgot to finish.

What I also meant to say was, they went to this sick priest guy and asked him what to do, and what he did was pretend that God (or Shariah or whatever) had given him the authority to say, "Let's break out the whip!"

Which is obviously a lie - he gave himself the authority to tell these people to start whipping somebody who couldn't fight back.

Why not whip the man? Oh, he's got friends and people to back him up. The woman's on her own, and is just a woman. We're perfectly justified in making her scream.

Yeah, that's right. I bet they made her scream, and I bet they were sick enough to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
bleachedblackcat
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
bleachedblackcat

PostSubject: Re: 14 year old whipped to death for being raped   14 year old whipped to death for being raped - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm glad the girl's parents were not a part of this. Most of the time when this is in the news it's her parents who did it, or helped. I know it's a sad thing to see as a happy....
Back to top Go down
socke puppette

socke puppette

PostSubject: Re: 14 year old whipped to death for being raped   14 year old whipped to death for being raped - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 pm

I read about this on Cafemom and let's just say that the local Muslim moms on the forums are hella pissed about the focus of this crime being on the religion and not the culture. Apparently, there is a big difference.

Alls I know is that an innocent child was brutally killed. I could give a crap whether it was religious or cultural.

Poor baby. No
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: 14 year old whipped to death for being raped   14 year old whipped to death for being raped - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:35 am

I don't see a huge difference between focusing on the problem being the gender discriminating religion (although a lot of religions do that) and the gender discriminating culture. Both are at fault in some way.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

PostSubject: Re: 14 year old whipped to death for being raped   14 year old whipped to death for being raped - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 20, 2011 4:17 pm

Malganis wrote:
I meant more "how in the world could/did these religious leaders use Shariah law to justify beating a 14-year-old girl to death for being raped". Then again, maybe they just regularly pull decrees/judgments/sentences out of their asses and everyone just goes along, for whatever reason.

If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. -- Deuteronomy 22:23-24

That's the Christianity/Judaism version, found on the Skeptics' Annotated Bible's What The Bible Says About Rape page.

The Islamic version, which I'm guessing inspired this incident, since it matches it down to the number of lashes (though as noted, we didn't hear if the man got whipped too; it could be he was taken to proper jail or did a runner):

24:2 "The adulterer and the adulteress, scourge ye each one of them (with) a hundred stripes. And let not pity for the twain withhold you from obedience to Allah, if ye believe in Allah and the Last Day. And let a party of believers witness their punishment."

Going from that to whipping a rape victim requires either equating being raped with adultery, or simply not believing she was raped as opposed to 'leading him on', 'asking for it', etc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14 year old whipped to death for being raped   14 year old whipped to death for being raped - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

14 year old whipped to death for being raped
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2