Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!

Go down 
+22
Nevvy
Observed
rae
EricD
Miss Prince
grmblfjx
Rabid Badger
gaijinguy
myeerah
Gamma Vector
Jay/Cris
saeku
Sheba
Mafiosa
InkWeaver
TheHermit
Spotts1701
TheIan
Tungsten Monk
Mr.Doobie
Penguin
Dr. Quinzel
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr. Quinzel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dr. Quinzel

Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! Empty
PostSubject: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:27 am

Given that it isn't too big of a jump between fanfiction and roleplaying, I'm hoping most of you already know what roleplaying is. For those who don't, I often describe it as people taking the role of a character and then interacting with someone else's character in a given setting. Regardless, it's often something I enjoy when I don't feel like writing fanfic.

However, just like fanfiction, there's morons, useless drama, and the stupidest, wierdest ideas people have for roleplaying.

I just found this gem today:
Quote :
In fair Verona..

.. where two houses, the Capulet and Montagues, have a family feud that has lasted through generations of hate..a couple by the name of Romeo and Julian, of each respective family, change how things are, simply by their love..

Yes, indeed this RPG is VERY similar to Shakespeare's but in RomeoxJulian, of course it is a Yaoi, which means boy on boy (if you didn't notice the name difference lol).

SETTING
The settings are pretty much are the same as well as the story, though there are a few extra places.

PLOT
In RomeoxJulian, the ending is quite different..it's a yaoi and not straight, therefore why not make the ending a happy one this time?

THE CAST
Players have a choice of making a character profile of the canon characters as well as ones of their own (check rules for details), and al the characters are strictly MALE (it's a male yaoi harem..all the girl characters will be turned into male versions..quite interesting..)
You are welcome to take the canon characters (the available ones) and make profiles for them and play them..

SPECIAL!!
By the way, in RomeoxJulian we aim to expand and be even more creative with the storyline yaoi-style! Please make all your characters (even the Friar lol) played by bishonens/cute or hot anime guys..that's the point! You're characters can have supernatural powers and other quirks in their personality that wasnt necessarily in the original play as long as they still support the storyline ^-^

Let the yaoi creativity soar in RomeoxJulian!
Want to know what makes it even worse? The creator of this place allows humanoid characters, which means it could be a cat boy humping an anthromorphic wolf, if they wanted. Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! 556166

I found the ad for this place here if you want to see more nonsensical ideas that people like to roleplay.

EDIT: For those wondering, the roleplay described really does exist. Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! 724940
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:35 am

Quote :
In RomeoxJulian, the ending is quite different..it's a yaoi and not straight, therefore why not make the ending a happy one this time?

Taking "gay" a bit literally, are we?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 8:56 am

Quote :
Yes, indeed this RPG is VERY similar to Shakespeare's but in RomeoxJulian, of course it is a Yaoi, which means boy on boy (if you didn't notice the name difference lol).

SETTING
The settings are pretty much are the same as well as the story, though there are a few extra places.

PLOT

So it's Romeo and Juliet, as directed by Roger Debris?
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 11:47 am

Goddammit, Penguin just won the thread and it's only a few posts in.

Roleplay is an interesting beast. It can be a lot of fun, and having different people pitch in on the same scenario can take a story in directions that no one author could have come up with. But at the same time . . . too many cooks, etc.

The notion of catboys in Romeo and Juliet reminds me of an incident that happened on my Batman RP board about a year or so ago. We had open registration at the time, and after we lost our first Riddler player, we brought in a replacement who was a heckuva good writer. Unfortunately, he also decided that a time-traveling fop steampunk incubus was the best possible character for an RP based in the Batman animated series, and came to the conclusion that what the world really needed was graphic Joker-on-Riddler sex scenes. (Both of them now being long-haired and pretty, natch.) There was a minor revolt over the characterization of the villains, we lost him and and a couple of other players, and the whole thing was drama, drama, drama.

People seem to forget to make concessions to the story at hand, and some of them use any given scenario to shoehorn in their own pet characters and concepts. Having a lot of people involved can be great, but the more you have, the greater the potential for disaster.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 9:31 pm

I need a moment to let it sink in...

OK.

First and foremost, William Shakespeare is spinning in his GRAVE at the desecration of one of his masterpieces. I never thought I'd see the day someone take Romeo and Juliet and just fag it up. Someone needs to beaten with a crowbar until they stop moving.

Secondly, of all things, why role play Yaoi? There is obviously so may other different outlets to Role Play in, but to choose Yaoi Romeo and Juliet? I sense a very desperate 15 year-old girl not having enough Yaoi in her system.

Don't get me wrong, I love to Role Play. I play World of Warcraft on a Role Playing server and have fun, despite some of the fuck-munches that try to ruin it for everyone else ("Hey, let's all spam Trade Chat with class abilities and talents and put anal in front of it! It's funny!" "Not after the 1,000,001st time you sonnuvabitch!") but there is almost always an enjoyable moment for RP when it's fitting.

What these people are doing in RP is kind of just sad.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Was the person who came up with this traumatized by having to read the Bard in high school?
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:
Was the person who came up with this traumatized by having to read the Bard in high school?

More like someone who liked the stories but failed to understand anything about them.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyThu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 pm

TheIan wrote:

OK.

First and foremost, William Shakespeare is spinning in his GRAVE at the desecration of one of his masterpieces. I never thought I'd see the day someone take Romeo and Juliet and just fag it up. Someone needs to beaten with a crowbar until they stop moving.

First of all, you do know that, like, a third of Shakespeare's sonnets were lovingly written to his male ward, right? And you do know that the nicest of his sonnets were written to that ward, right?

Second of all, think before you post. You're offensive, and not even in the occasionally amusing way like Mikey.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 5:46 am

TheIan wrote:
I never thought I'd see the day someone take Romeo and Juliet and just fag it up.

Hoo boy.

Oh, and you forgot to say, "What is this I don't even..."

On another note, if you take his "fag it up" content out of context, it sounds like a hip, new popular dance craze. Just fag it up, uh uh, just fag it up, yeah uh, just fag it up, yeah yeah, just fag it up, uh yeah, just fag it up. I'll stop now.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 10:04 am

InkWeaver wrote:
TheIan wrote:

OK.

First of all, you do know that, like, a third of Shakespeare's sonnets were lovingly written to his male ward, right? And you do know that the nicest of his sonnets were written to that ward, right?

Second of all, think before you post. You're offensive, and not even in the occasionally amusing way like Mikey.
But we're not talking about his sonnets, here. I'm aware of his dedications to his wards. I'm also aware I was overzealous with that little rant. I was working off 2 Liters of caffeine that night and didn't think twice about it. I'm sorry.

If I'm trying to make a point, I do so in the manner I see befitting as everyone else does on this board (Which would probably explain everyone's disdain for me back on the old GAFF boards, here, and everywhere else in between).
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 10:24 am

it is befitting to use slurs unironically to make a point
Back to top Go down
Sheba
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sheba

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 11:55 am

Mr.Doobie wrote:
TheIan wrote:
I never thought I'd see the day someone take Romeo and Juliet and just fag it up.
On another note, if you take his "fag it up" content out of context, it sounds like a hip, new popular dance craze. Just fag it up, uh uh, just fag it up, yeah uh, just fag it up, yeah yeah, just fag it up, uh yeah, just fag it up. I'll stop now.

Shaggin' on the boulevard!! Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! 831506
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 3:41 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Slide to the left
Slide to the right
Fag it up, now, y'all
Fag it up, now, y'all

...Okay, back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Quote :
[Name] is a man and he is a very hansome and manly man.He likes women a lot and women like him too but men think he is compitishion.He has very long brown shiny hair everywhere and a little blue eyes that are mostly green but very hansome anywya.You can tell a lot of things from his eyes.He has a very big bulge in his jeans where the dick would be and it is not a sock because it makes all women almost orgasm with desire.Behind him is a very firm muscled ass that makes you wantto slap it and play with it in lots of ways but only if your a women.If you area man you will die if you touch it because [Name] is strong and very not Gay.If you are a women he winks and smiles at you and thinks you have a nice personality.If you are a man again he frowns at you and it makes you not hit on him or on any women when hes here.He likes lots of women very much and likes very few men but not as boyfriends.And he has a shitr which is nice and blue.I mean shirt sorry.
From a page of horrible RP character descriptions here, home of Ishtar, whose description I can't post due to the one rule. It's the one labeled "her body unable to keep them all inside."
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 pm

Quote :
He has very long brown shiny hair everywhere

Um.
Like, everywhere everywhere?
Even under his toes and inside his ears and, y'know, that place where the sun don't shine? (viz. inside his stomach.) Even if the rest of the description sounds like something I'd hit on - oh, yeah, I love a good bulge on a man - that hairy bit... eh. Bears ain't my thing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 4:27 pm

saeku wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:
Slide to the left
Slide to the right
Fag it up, now, y'all
Fag it up, now, y'all

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I am so sorry.
Back to top Go down
Gamma Vector

Gamma Vector

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyFri Sep 24, 2010 6:34 pm

TheHermit wrote:
saeku wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:
Slide to the left
Slide to the right
Fag it up, now, y'all
Fag it up, now, y'all

I am so sorry.

*falls off of bed laughing*
*sleeps in a loft bed*

Owwie...
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 8:24 am

Dammit Hermit! Don't make me laugh so hard while I'm at work!
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 9:18 am

TheHermit wrote:
saeku wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:
Slide to the left
Slide to the right
Fag it up, now, y'all
Fag it up, now, y'all

I am so sorry.

Oh god damnit I know there's a "registration act" joke here, but I just can't think of it.

On topic: Leaving aside for the moment the question of Shakespeare's sexual orientation (I think there's a law somewhere, "for every historical figure there will be at least one academic saying they were gay") I'm really confused as to why anyone would chose this as a setting for this kind of RP. Even if you restrict yourselves to the works of Shakespeare, there's a ton of better places to set this sort of thing while not removing any resemblance to the original product.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 2:03 pm

My main problem with it is that it's just boring. If Romeo and Juliet had ended happily, it would've been boring. Why make it boring like that? Why not pick something that had a happy ending and was entertaining because of that ending?
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 9:56 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
[quote=

Oh god damnit I know there's a "registration act" joke here, but I just can't think of it.

On topic: Leaving aside for the moment the question of Shakespeare's sexual orientation (I think there's a law somewhere, "for every historical figure there will be at least one academic saying they were gay") I'm really confused as to why anyone would chose this as a setting for this kind of RP. Even if you restrict yourselves to the works of Shakespeare, there's a ton of better places to set this sort of thing while not removing any resemblance to the original product.

I'd point you towards West Side Story for how the idea can be moved somewhere else and still remove interesting. It probably helped that the stage version I saw had Latinos playing The Sharks (including Maria), so it rang true in a way the movie version didn't
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 8:40 am

saeku wrote:
Quote :
And he has a shitr which is nice and blue.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Dr. Quinzel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dr. Quinzel

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 4:01 pm

While these are only ideas (at this point) I couldn't help but laugh (bolding mine):
Quote :
So I've been toying with two ideas for new RPs for a while. Toying mainly because I don't like to have more than one RP running at a time, and my current one takes up a lot of my time and is successfully still going at two years old. These ideas appeal to me really badly though, so what do you guys think? Would there be any interest in either of them?

Idea One: A Sabre Tooth Tiger Roleplay.

There could be packs, a general storyline, humans. Maybe other prehistoric mammals as the site grows (like wooly mammoths).

Idea Two: A Riders' RP with a difference - mounts are large cats with wings, various species. No plot yet.

Very basic ideas. Maybe I'll do both. Like I said, really like the ideas, but do you? Would there be any interest?

I try not to be judgmental about someone's ideas of a good roleplay, but really? There's actually an entire discussion somewhere else on that board talking about how the roleplay world is going downhill. I wonder why. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
TheIan
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Dr. Quinzel wrote:
While these are only ideas (at this point) I couldn't help but laugh (bolding mine):
Quote :
So I've been toying with two ideas for new RPs for a while. Toying mainly because I don't like to have more than one RP running at a time, and my current one takes up a lot of my time and is successfully still going at two years old. These ideas appeal to me really badly though, so what do you guys think? Would there be any interest in either of them?

Idea One: A Sabre Tooth Tiger Roleplay.

There could be packs, a general storyline, humans. Maybe other prehistoric mammals as the site grows (like wooly mammoths).

Idea Two: A Riders' RP with a difference - mounts are large cats with wings, various species. No plot yet.

Very basic ideas. Maybe I'll do both. Like I said, really like the ideas, but do you? Would there be any interest?

I try not to be judgmental about someone's ideas of a good roleplay, but really? There's actually an entire discussion somewhere else on that board talking about how the roleplay world is going downhill. I wonder why. Rolling Eyes
Maybe because no one can come up with something original anymore?

And I've been in the RP circuit a few times, I joined a chatsite that let people RP as their own Mary-Sues and Gary-Stus. There were Wolf-pack RPers, there were Catgirls, Slaves, mercenaries, plushies, femboys,vampires, demons, a zombie (Which was kinda cool, actually), and more Anime stereotypes than you could find at Otakon.

The fact was all these people would stylize their fights as flashy as possible and let their presumptuous ego get teh better of whoever they chose to attack and kill in the first paragraph they typed out. I left after a few months after taking too much of that bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 4:44 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Quote :

SETTING

PLOT

It...

It IS. I am floored by your insight.
Back to top Go down
Tungsten Monk
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Tungsten Monk

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Miss Prince wrote:
Mr.Doobie wrote:
Quote :

SETTING

PLOT

It...

It IS. I am floored by your insight.

I think the difference here is that Roger Debris would actually make it entertaining. Roleplay . . . not so much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!   Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse! Empty

Back to top Go down

Roleplaying: Kind of like writing stories, but sometimes worse!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next