Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Google goes Evil

Go down 
+13
The Unoriginal
Lady Anne
Sutremaine
Malganis
Verandering
TheHermit
Lapin
Dr. Quinzel
Seule
Raine
Anathema
Dr. Professor Science
Spacecatx
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Spacecatx

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 11:31 am

This is one article out of many that explains it all.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Google wasn't evil before?
Back to top Go down
Anathema

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Dr. Professor Science wrote:

But they let you take a year maternity leave with full pay and they pay benefits for same-sex couples!

But yeah, no, now they're just... evil.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 3:10 pm

The interesting and depressing thing about Google is that, despite all evidence to the contrary, they achieved a reputation for not being evil simply by saying that they weren't.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Quinzel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dr. Quinzel

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah, after I heard that they essentially remember and store whatever search you make on their engine for a long, long time, I started to use Yahoo a lot more (not sure if they do the same thing, though Upset)

And it's not like I search really creepy, terrible things, it just tweaks me out that they do that.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Seule wrote:

The interesting and depressing thing about Google is that, despite all evidence to the contrary, they achieved a reputation for not being evil simply by saying that they weren't.
This is true and it hurts me inside.

I need to go find that blog by the guy who used to work at Google who's cutting apart their policies and explaining what's scary about them.

Admittedly, their going against China was technically a Good Thing, though it did show that Google is more powerful than China. Or, at least, they're powerful enough to completely disregard them. Brr.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 5:19 pm

See, I just want to work for them.

What?

I want to be the power, not fight it.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Admittedly, their going against China was technically a Good Thing, though it did show that Google is more powerful than China. Or, at least, they're powerful enough to completely disregard them. Brr.

I admit I'm not terribly familiar with the aftermath of the whole Google vs. China debacle, but my understanding was that it ended in a near-miss by both companies; China renewed Google's license, and in turn Google agreed to continue censoring its search queries (though they kept a link which allows users to redirect to the unrestricted Hong Kong Google website) and to not provide "lawbreaking content". That doesn't quite sound like Google was able to "completely disregard" China, though making China flinch may be a small victory in itself.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 9:19 pm

What's with all these hos wanting my internets in their slimey fingers GTFO HOS MY INTERNETS MINE
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:04 am

TheHermit wrote:

I admit I'm not terribly familiar with the aftermath of the whole Google vs. China debacle, but my understanding was that it ended in a near-miss by both companies; China renewed Google's license, and in turn Google agreed to continue censoring its search queries (though they kept a link which allows users to redirect to the unrestricted Hong Kong Google website) and to not provide "lawbreaking content". That doesn't quite sound like Google was able to "completely disregard" China, though making China flinch may be a small victory in itself.

Hush, you, I decided I needed to sound more like Cracked.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:34 am

Dr. Quinzel wrote:
Yeah, after I heard that they essentially remember and store whatever search you make on their engine for a long, long time, I started to use Yahoo a lot more (not sure if they do the same thing, though Upset)

And it's not like I search really creepy, terrible things, it just tweaks me out that they do that.

...well, then.

Hmmm.

... I shall also start using Yahoo, then.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 11:47 am

Verandering wrote:
GTFO HOS MY INTERNETS MINE
ES IST MEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIN NETS

Anyway, do they store it on the servers without any ID attached, or can searches be tracked back to individual users? I don't really care either way (plus, starting a search on google and seeing what disturbing crap sometimes comes up is funny) since nobody on Google's end probably cares either, and even if it does get leaked like that one time with AOL I can't be tracked down by my searches alone.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Sutremaine wrote:
Verandering wrote:
GTFO HOS MY INTERNETS MINE
ES IST MEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIN NETS

Anyway, do they store it on the servers without any ID attached, or can searches be tracked back to individual users? I don't really care either way (plus, starting a search on google and seeing what disturbing crap sometimes comes up is funny) since nobody on Google's end probably cares either, and even if it does get leaked like that one time with AOL I can't be tracked down by my searches alone.
I don't know if the searcher can be IDed, but I don't trust it in the slightest. People can come up with the craziest reasons for persecuting others over what they search for, even if it harms absolutely no one (for example, suppose you looked up stuff on your employer's rival from the privacy of your own home, and they got that information from Google and decided to fire you for it).
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
People can come up with the craziest reasons for persecuting others over what they search for, even if it harms absolutely no one (for example, suppose you looked up stuff on your employer's rival from the privacy of your own home, and they got that information from Google and decided to fire you for it).
Weird example. Usually, we surf the competition's websites overtly - just as they are all over our own. Know thy enemy and all that.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 3:39 pm

The Unoriginal wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
People can come up with the craziest reasons for persecuting others over what they search for, even if it harms absolutely no one (for example, suppose you looked up stuff on your employer's rival from the privacy of your own home, and they got that information from Google and decided to fire you for it).
Weird example. Usually, we surf the competition's websites overtly - just as they are all over our own. Know thy enemy and all that.
I used to work for a company that made us sign contracts saying we wouldn't buy from their competitors--which as far as they were concerned was everyone (for example, even though they weren't in the grocery business, they considered grocery stores their competitors). Now, suppose an employer like this caught you buying something over the Internet.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
The Unoriginal wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

I used to work for a company that made us sign contracts saying we wouldn't buy from their competitors--which as far as they were concerned was everyone (for example, even though they weren't in the grocery business, they considered grocery stores their competitors). Now, suppose an employer like this caught you buying something over the Internet.

You're the retard who's so unbelievably useless you can only get work at a place like that. People who actually PASS college algebra will always have a job as algebra tutor if nothing else. Razz
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 4:17 pm

Lady Anne wrote:

Most of those kinds of provisions in a employment contract aren't enforceable.
Back to top Go down
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:27 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Most of those kinds of provisions in a employment contract aren't enforceable.

Conversely though, if you live in an at-will state, they can kick you out regardless, can't they?
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 5:54 pm

I don't know why aren't the conspiracy theory nutjobs all talking about Google. It's an unbelievably rich, mysterious company that controls the flow of information and already showed to be willing to participate in censorship.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Exodia's Right Leg wrote:
I don't know why aren't the conspiracy theory nutjobs all talking about Google. It's an unbelievably rich, mysterious company that controls the flow of information and already showed to be willing to participate in censorship.
Google is conspiring to censor anything the conspiracy theorists say about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Google goes Evil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Google goes Evil   Google goes Evil Empty

Back to top Go down

Google goes Evil
Page 1 of 1