Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

On references within fanfiction

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thebonerules

thebonerules

On references within fanfiction Empty
PostSubject: On references within fanfiction   On references within fanfiction EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:15 pm

The short of it: Is it too terribly conceited of me to reference (albeit subtly) Moby-Dick in my fanfiction?

The long: I'm writing this series of interrelated one-shots for Bleach, and in the chapter I'm writing at the moment they're fighting some hollows. The relevant paragraph is as follows:
Spoiler:
Specifically, it refers to where Ishmael discusses his fear of the color white, which I though was relevant. Or am I just being pretentious?
Back to top Go down
Snoof
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snoof

PostSubject: Re: On references within fanfiction   On references within fanfiction EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 am

thebonerules wrote:
The short of it: Is it too terribly conceited of me to reference (albeit subtly) Moby-Dick in my fanfiction?

The long: I'm writing this series of interrelated one-shots for Bleach, and in the chapter I'm writing at the moment they're fighting some hollows. The relevant paragraph is as follows:
Spoiler:
Specifically, it refers to where Ishmael discusses his fear of the color white, which I though was relevant. Or am I just being pretentious?
Fairly pretentious, yes. Though a little pretension never hurt anyone. Smile

I'd say leaving it in isn't a problem unless you feel the urge to use it to point out how smart you are. As a little Easter egg for those familiar with Melville's work, it should be fine.

(That is, of course, assuming the style fits the rest of the story. If a reader who's not familiar with Melville can pick it out, distinct from the rest of the text, then it's probably out of place and should be cut.)
Back to top Go down
thebonerules

thebonerules

PostSubject: Re: On references within fanfiction   On references within fanfiction EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 pm

No, it certainly fits in with the rest of the chapter (though each chapter is its own style). But then there's my other concern. Is it unbearably purple?
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: On references within fanfiction   On references within fanfiction EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 pm

I quite like Easter Egg stuff in fanfiction, so as long as you don't go boasting about it, you should be okay. Smile
Back to top Go down
Blooferlady
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Blooferlady

PostSubject: Re: On references within fanfiction   On references within fanfiction EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:51 pm

I also like little references, so I think it's fine. But it is getting a little bit purple.
Back to top Go down
http://blooferblog.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On references within fanfiction   On references within fanfiction Empty

Back to top Go down

On references within fanfiction
Page 1 of 1