Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Educational 'waterboarding'?

Go down 
+14
Cyberwulf
Seule
Chris91
Penguin
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
tachikoma01
Ezri Dax
ZoZo
The Unoriginal
Azzandra
Lysander
Chaltab
Rabid Badger
rachel
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

Educational 'waterboarding'? Empty
PostSubject: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:13 pm

I don't think that it's technically waterboarding, but it's still a shitty thing for him to have done.

Quote :
A soldier waterboarded his four-year-old daughter because she was unable to recite her alphabet.

Joshua Tabor admitted to police he had used the CIA torture technique because he was so angry.

As his daughter 'squirmed' to get away, Tabor said he submerged her face three or four times until the water was lapping around her forehead and jawline.

Tabor, 27, who had won custody of his daughter only four weeks earlier, admitted choosing the punishment because the girl was terrified of water.

And this from the parent that the court awarded custody to. I wonder if that was before or after this:

Quote :
Tabor, a soldier at the Lewis-McChord base in Tacoma, Washington, was arrested after being seen walking around his neighbourhood wearing a Kevlar military helmet and threatening to break windows.

I think maybe this guy needs treatment. The daughter definitely needs a new parent.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:25 pm

There isn't enough PTSD in the world to be blamed for this.

One wonders what his wife did to the kid for him to gain custody of her.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:00 pm

That's what I was thinking, Badger. If the father was awarded custody, what's the mother like? O_O
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Welcome to life in the Bauer household.
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:23 am

Why do I get the feeling this asshole joined the military just so he could indulge in more power-trips? He's a bully. Giving him a gun and combat training is only going to end in trouble.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 1:09 am

Azzandra wrote:
Why do I get the feeling this asshole joined the military just so he could indulge in more power-trips? He's a bully. Giving him a gun and combat training is only going to end in trouble.

Yeah, but with any luck, he could be the one stepping into an IED instead of a kid-loving, locals-friendly grunt.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 am

Lysander wrote:
Nah, that's bollocks. If it was chez Bauer, the little girl would have got kidnapped. Three times. In a day.

The question that springs to mind for me was, was she better at the alphabet after this?
Back to top Go down
Ezri Dax
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ezri Dax

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 am

ZoZo wrote:
Lysander wrote:
Nah, that's bollocks. If it was chez Bauer, the little girl would have got kidnapped. Three times. In a day.

The question that springs to mind for me was, was she better at the alphabet after this?

If anything the trauma would make her LESS able to recite the alphabet due to nervousness, and very likely even more afraid of the water. WTF was this arsehole thinking? How can anyone get THAT angry that their child hasn't perfected the alphabet yet? I think that this man is a potential psychopath and should be in the dock for this... it's child abuse.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 am

Ah, Daily Mash says it nicely.
Back to top Go down
tachikoma01
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
tachikoma01

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 am

Sometimes you can be surprised how lawyers can swing things in custody cases. At least, I'm *hoping* it was sleezy lawyers rather than both of them being barely able to call themselves human, let alone parents.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 am

How could he think this would help her learn her alphabet? If he wanted her to learn her alphabet why couldn't he sit down with her and an alphabet book and read it together?
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 9:02 am

That's not waterboarding.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 am

The WTF factor of this story is so far off the charts it's almost in another solar system.

I mean, how warped do you have to be to waterboard your own kids? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Chris91 wrote:
The WTF factor of this story is so far off the charts it's almost in another solar system.

I mean, how warped do you have to be to waterboard your own kids? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What did I just fucking say? This isn't waterboarding.

Having said that, this is clearly a disturbed individual and needs his parental rights revoked immediately, and the lockup with intensive treatment. PTSD? No. The fact that he was wandering around in his Kevlar annoying the neighbors is well beyond that. There's something else at play here and he needs to be isolated before he can hurt anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 1:01 pm

Quote :
Tabor, a soldier at the Lewis-McChord base in Tacoma, Washington, was arrested after being seen walking around his neighbourhood wearing a Kevlar military helmet and threatening to break windows.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 2:04 pm

The Unoriginal wrote:
Azzandra wrote:

Yeah, but with any luck, he could be the one stepping into an IED instead of a kid-loving, locals-friendly grunt.

Pfft. Given his record so far, he'd probably push that kid-loving, locals-friendly grunt onto one.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 3:49 pm

Daily Fail? Seriously?
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 5:57 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Daily Fail? Seriously?
I didn't even click the link. Now I'm completely disinclined to believe it.

So yeah, did she improve at her ABCs?
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 6:31 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Daily Fail? Seriously?

I doubt it, given that when the police found her, she was huddled in a corner of the bathroom at 2 a.m., trying to hide from her father.
Back to top Go down
theromangeneral

theromangeneral

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 6:54 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Daily Fail? Seriously?

If it helps credibility any From SHM Australia.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyTue Feb 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Here are some US sources as well. A local news agency and USA Today. This one is true, it seems. Educational 'waterboarding'? 309696
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 7:43 am

ZoZo wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Daily Fail? Seriously?

That was my initial reaction until other news sources picked it up.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 8:14 am

Considering the method my granny used to teach my mother the difference between "m's" and "n's" (read: one good smack upside the head), I never doubted this could happen.
BTW, reportedly my mother was suddenly able to discern m's from n's with unprecedented clarity, and now she tells the story as if it was funny. Go figure. I was also taught to read/write by my granny, but I don't recall such accidents. Perhaps she had mellowed with age.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 pm

The Unoriginal wrote:
Considering the method my granny used to teach my mother the difference between "m's" and "n's" (read: one good smack upside the head), I never doubted this could happen.
BTW, reportedly my mother was suddenly able to discern m's from n's with unprecedented clarity, and now she tells the story as if it was funny. Go figure. I was also taught to read/write by my granny, but I don't recall such accidents. Perhaps she had mellowed with age.

It took a good bop upside the head to make me understand that multiplying two negatives made a positive when I was taking algebra. But a gentle bop is not even remotely equivalent to attempted drowning.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? EmptyWed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Ezri Dax wrote:
If anything the trauma would make her LESS able to recite the alphabet due to nervousness, and very likely even more afraid of the water.

Actually, fear is a big incentive for learning. Studies have shown that fear is a bigger incentive than reward, in any case. It makes sense, too; tell your kid not to go near the lions and it might forget. Tell your kid the lions will eat it and it won't forget. Have your kid see another kid get eaten and he'll be thinking about nothing but for a while.

So unfortunately, fucked up as it is, parents who take this route in teaching their children (beatings for bad grades or what have you) will actually see results and feel justified.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Educational 'waterboarding'?   Educational 'waterboarding'? Empty

Back to top Go down

Educational 'waterboarding'?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next