Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America

Go down 
+21
mluckw
Just Chipper
Saleha
Thanos6
Spotts1701
Tungsten Monk
Raine
Keith Fraser
theromangeneral
Maximilia
Somath Cegem
Delcat
Lysander
Lapin
Mafiosa
Seule
Drabbler
ZoZo
Verandering
gaijinguy
Rabid Badger
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 7:42 pm

They wanted to make a US version of Bad Girls too. Don't know if they did or not.

ETA: Looked it up. FX had it originally, but then they got curb-stomped by HBO. HBO is making it now, with Alan Ball.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 8:45 pm

Reviving this thread because it is coming.

Quote :
Acclaimed British cult TV favorite "Torchwood" is getting a U.S. makeover courtesy of Starz.

The premium cable outlet will share production costs on the show's upcoming season in exchange for domestic distribution rights. The 10-episode run will debut on BBC One and Starz next summer, and take on a more international scope. The bulk of the story will shift from UK to North America and key U.S. actors will join the cast.

Once again, stars John Barrowman and Eve Myles will return.

"This gives 'Torchwood' the chance to feel like a real global drama," said BBC Worldwide Productions executive vp Jane Tranter. "The story of 'Torchwood' will impact worldwide humanity and not just a small area of the UK. This will scale it up."
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm

I'm not sure I WANT it to feel like a real global drama. I was quite fond of the idea that Wales was built on a Rift in space and time, because by and large, everyone just sort've dealt with it in a bemused manner (Bloody Torchwood!) I mean, I know it was posited on the show that there were other Rifts in other places, but America's been invaded by aliens so many fucking times, we've already GOT groups that fight off invading aliens. Or am I the only person who remembers Stargate One?

Also, I see that John and Eve are returning, but there's no mention of Kai Owen, the actor who played Rys. Are they just going to hand-wave away Gwen's pregnancy and marriage? Because I have this awful sneaking suspicion that RTD wants to get Jack and Gwen together as a couple (he admitted in an interview that was his original plan, and it was another writer who introduced the Jack/Ianto storyline, which the fans immediately embraced, but which he never really liked).

Is it possible for a gay man to be homophobic?
Back to top Go down
mluckw

mluckw

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 11:20 am

I've never even seen Torchwood, but I've heard a lot about it and I have a feeling that whenever I find a way to watch it, I'll enjoy it. That being said, I don't want an American version of it. In my experience with TV shows and movies, nothing beats the original.

It would be like making an American version of the show Merlin, starring Colin Morgan and Bradley James. It already airs on SciFi. Why can't something like that happen with Torchwood? Just bring it over to the States and show us the original. It's not like it's a foreign language, like Chinese.
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 12:04 pm

BUT IT WAS AWESOME BECAUSE WALES
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 20, 2010 9:54 pm

mluckw wrote:
It's not like it's a foreign language, like Chinese.

Have you ever heard Welsh?
Or even English with a Welsh accent?
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
mluckw

mluckw

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 7:58 am

Quote :
Have you ever heard Welsh?

Yes. And I've heard English with a Chinese accent and with a Japanese accent.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 9:52 am

Jay/Cris wrote:
What sort of Welsh accent?
Back to top Go down
Vanilla-villa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Vanilla-villa

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 12:09 pm

What? Why does it have to have a remake?
It'll probably end up like that awful American remake of 'Life on Mars' [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to America   Well, Now We Know Why RTD Came to  America - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Some people never learn.