Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Inglourious Basterds

Go down 
+22
myeerah
Lady Anne
Mafiosa
kleine_kat
Hot Cancer
Root Admin
Cyberwulf
InkWeaver
Malganis
Epeyon
Jay/Cris
Verandering
KGarrett
Mae Bedlam
Mikey Go WOOGA
Chocho
Maximilia
Fairlight
unskilled78
Penguin
Knorg
Narwhal
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Epeyon

Epeyon

Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 8:20 am

Christoph Waltz was fantastic, he played the character amazingly, as did Melanie Laurent as Shosanna. They made the story portion of the movie, without that I would have said it was simply gore filled Nazi killing, but their part of the story was what kept me from getting bored during it.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 3:02 pm

Epeyon wrote:
You just turn off your brain
If you wind up defending a movie by saying "you just turn off your brain" to enjoy it, that means the movie is fucking shit and you haven't the guts to admit that you enjoyed a shit movie.
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 3:32 pm

I really wanted to like this. The previews looked awesomely violent. So I finally saw it last month, and was let down. The dialogue dragged- all I remember was being bored at the table scene. It was so underwhelming, and I couldn't get into it even after how much everyone else exclaimed "It's a good movie, Nil!" That, and movies about Nazis tend to bore the everloving shit out of me because it's really fucking overdone in Hollywood. Almost as overdone as remakes Razz

And I really, really don't want to watch it again to write a review about why I didn't like it. Just not worth the effort.

EDIT: And I like some seriously shitty movies, myself. Some are even embarrassing to admit that I like them because THEY ARE SUPPOSEDLY JUST THAT BAD. I mean, the Rocky series is crap, but I like it. I don't admit to it being any good. Fuck, I like Star Trek V. And Desperate Housewives before it jumped the shark. And the list goes on and on.

Last edited by Nihilist on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Epeyon

Epeyon

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:

If you wind up defending a movie by saying "you just turn off your brain" to enjoy it, that means the movie is fucking shit and you haven't the guts to admit that you enjoyed a shit movie.
\

Why does everything have to make you think? Things can be good without requiring brain activity. Just because it's not deep and thought provoking doesn't mean it's shit. It was a good film, it was fun to just sit there and watch without having to think.

Which table scene? The one in the bar or in the house at the beginning?
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Epeyon wrote:

Why does everything have to make you think? Things can be good without requiring brain activity. Just because it's not deep and thought provoking doesn't mean it's shit. It was a good film, it was fun to just sit there and watch without having to think.

"He's worse than dead, Jim. His brain is gone."
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Epeyon wrote:
Which table scene? The one in the bar or in the house at the beginning?

All of them, I don't know, they kind of all blurred together.

Last edited by Nihilist on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:20 pm

Epeyon wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

\

Yeah, but if you start thinking about a film at all and it becomes markedly less enjoyable (as your comment about turning your brain off suggests you can't for Inglorious Basterds), then chances are it's not really that good.

A film doesn't have to make you rethink the fundamentals of human existence, it just has to make sense.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Epeyon wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

\

Why does everything have to make you think? Things can be good without requiring brain activity.
That's not what you said. You said "turn off your brain". That's usually what people say when some annoying critic like me points out the raging, nonsensical plotholes in whatever's being defended.

Quote :
It was a good film, it was fun to just sit there and watch without having to think.
OH HEAVEN HELP US ALL IF YOU HAD TO THINK oh my god I can't believe you actually said that
Back to top Go down
Epeyon

Epeyon

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:26 pm

It still makes sense when you think about it, it's still enjoyable when you think about it. It's not history, but it's logical. Suspension of disbelief is kept throughout the movie. Nothing jumps out saying "This wouldn't happen!" If you think of it as a fictional movie and completely disregard your knowledge of WWII it's good.

Don't think of it as a WWII movie, think of it as just another action movie.

I can see how you would think the table scenes dragged, if I was watching it at home I doubt I would've paid as much attention to them. But in the theater it was good, the tense reactions between everybody, the nervousness of the characters, the body language, it was fantastic.

When did I say it was bad to have to think?
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:33 pm

Epeyon wrote:
If you think of it as a fictional movie and completely disregard your knowledge of WWII it's good.

AAAAH HAHA HA HA

Quote :
When did I say it was bad to have to think?

"It was fun to just sit there and watch without having to think" is up there with "Aw, I don't wanna read, it's the weekend!"
Back to top Go down
Epeyon

Epeyon

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:37 pm

What? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] That makes no sense, just because I enjoy being able to go to a movie sometimes and relax my brain doesn't mean that I don't like thinking.
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Epeyon wrote:
What? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] That makes no sense, just because I enjoy being able to go to a movie sometimes and relax my brain doesn't mean that I don't like thinking.

My, you're defensive. Got something to prove? Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 896582
Back to top Go down
Epeyon

Epeyon

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Natural to be defensive when I'm being accused of not wanting to think, which implies I'm an idiot.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Hey, you're the one who outright said it; don't blame us.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Wow, this thread is very quickly turning dumb.

Nihilist wrote:
Epeyon wrote:

My, you're defensive. Got something to prove? Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 896582

I... don't really see how anyone could have picked up defensiveness from that.
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 10:56 pm

Yes, yes, you're all vastly superior for staring down your nose at a movie. etc. We get the point, mostly because everyone here does that about everything. Being snobs about stupid shit is kind of our job.
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
kleine_kat

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 3:44 am

I don't see the problem with the historical inaccuracy. Everyone knew way before actually watching the movie that it was a WOII fairy tale, and in combination with Tarantino that means loads of over the top violence, 'deep' dialogs, insane situations and a more or less happy ending. If that's your cup of tea, have a cookie and dip. If it isn't, well shit.

With all the movies that HAVE been presented as 'historically correct', like Alexander (vomit), King Arthur (retch), and all that other shite out there, I was pleasantly surprised to see Hitler blown to bits, amused to see Michael Fassbender, who is half British and half German, play a British, weird-German-speaking spy, and vastly entertained by Brat Pitt claiming to speak Italian. Even if all the bits with Shoshanna bored me to tears and some of the scenes dragged, I liked it, and yes, I agree that you should watch this movie without thinking too much about whether it's correct or logical.

It's Tarantino. I don't agree with the more rabid fans among us that he's a genius, but I've definitely seen worse.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 4:53 am

The "turn your brain off" argument would be valid if the movie was viscerally stimulating in any way whatsoever.

It's not.
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
kleine_kat

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 5:06 am

Penguin wrote:
The "turn your brain off" argument would be valid if the movie was viscerally stimulating in any way whatsoever.

It's not.

Says you. Tea, cookie, etc.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 5:10 am

Maybe if you never watch any movies with violence in them and only watched this one because your friends pressured you into it.
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
kleine_kat

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 6:56 am

Ah, yeah, but then blame the friends but not the movie! Razz

Then again, I never understood the charm of Pulp Fiction, so I do see your point. I thought the movie was boring in the extreme. My cousin glanced at me disdainfully and claimed I didn't understand the movie. If there is one thing I hate it is when people tell me I don't like something because I don't get it.

Which brings me back to Alexander, of which I recently saw two hours and then turned off. In my opinion, Alexander as played by Colin Farrel is a terrible bitchy wuss whom I wouldn't trust to lead me to the bathroom, let alone into battle, with a horrid hairdo, a whiny disposition, no charisma whatsoever, whose accent proved so stubborn the director decided to give all the Greeks that accent because it would look rather silly if Alex was the only one warbling Irish.

A fan protested that I obviously didn't get the homage to actor so and so with the hairdo, and the tribute to director such and so with the terrible speeches, etc. etc. When apparently the only charm of a movie is that it's pointing at other people and other movies (as Tarantino is also wont to do), and the movie itself stinks to high heaven, yeah, I get pissed when people tell me off because all the tribute doesn't make it a good movie.

Unfortunately, what some people consider to be great movies is what I consider glorious crap, sometimes. Hence the tea and cookie thing Razz
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 7:18 am

Penguin wrote:

It's not.

In your opinion. I like Tarantino's sense of humor, his dialogue, and his use of color and music. His films are visually interesting to me. I know this may be hard to comprehend, but, ah, you're actually not the final authority on what people can and should find interesting. For instance, I thought that Guren Laggan was a hideously shitty anime but there are other people who swear that it's the second coming of Cowboy Bebop. Different strokes, different folks. I can understand why other people like it. It's really not hard to see why people enjoy Tarantino's films. They're visually interesting and a damn good time.

You can piss and moan and take things like "turn your brain off" out of context until the cows come home, but it's not as if you're going to convince people who liked the movie to hate it as this is a matter of taste, so what's the point?
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 8:27 am

Because if you don't win an argument on the internet, your penis shrinks.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 1:17 pm

I liked Inglourious Basterds. No, it wasn't historically accurate, but it was very entertaining, and I have to agree that Christoph Waltz was great.

Sometimes, it's okay to watch a movie just for fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Lady Anne wrote:

Sometimes, it's okay to watch a movie just for fun.

O.o

It's always ok to watch a movie just for fun.
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
kleine_kat

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
Because if you don't win an argument on the internet, your penis shrinks.

I don't have a penis. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Does that mean my clit will shrink? Or my boobs? If you do win an argument, will they get bigger?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inglourious Basterds   Inglourious Basterds - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Inglourious Basterds
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: New Releases :: Antidotes-
Jump to: