Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I saw District 9 last night

Go down 
+5
KGarrett
Lapin
Penguin
Raine
fishstickhater
9 posters
AuthorMessage
fishstickhater
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fishstickhater

I saw District 9 last night Empty
PostSubject: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:35 am

It was fantastic. I haven't seen a sci-fi movie that engaging in a very long time.

Has anyone else seen it?

Last edited by fishstickhater on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Thread was moved so everything's good)
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:40 am

Why is this in the awful section then?

But thankfully, I'm glad it's not crap. I really want to see this.
Back to top Go down
fishstickhater
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fishstickhater

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 9:42 am

I dunno. Good question.
I guess I could request to have it moved. Yay for my brain not being awake.

But yeah, I would definitely recommend this movie. There are a few parts that may make you squirm, but they pass quickly enough. Then again, everyone here is jaded enough to handle a little blood, guts, and dismemberment.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 10:46 am

I saw a poster for it on the base theater, but know nothing about it. Care to elaborate?
Back to top Go down
fishstickhater
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fishstickhater

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 11:00 am

"An extraterrestrial race forced to live in slum-like conditions on
Earth suddenly find a kindred spirit in a government agent that is
exposed to their biotechnology."

That's the official IMDB summary. It takes place in South Africa, which I thought was pretty cool. In the movie they even reference the fact that it was surprising that the aliens didn't make contact somewhere in America. There aren't really any crazy plot twists, but it's very well done. The movie really made me empathize with the characters, especially the aliens. I would definitely say that it's more than your average slash 'em up action/sci fi movie. I definitely appreciated the fact that the main character, the government agent, was more human and realistic than a big buff action hero would have been. It's a very dark movie. For people who don't like "shaky cam" movies, don't despair. The beginning is filmed that way, but the rest of it is filmed normally.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:43 am

I saw this last night! (And partly early this morning) It was pretty awesome. I love the subtitles that showed up for the prawns, especially during the eviction.

Spoiler:

It was just so funny the way he deadpanned, even though it was all in clicks.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:57 am

I was wondering if anyone else had seen this; I was going to add it if nobody else did. Saw it the other day, and even though I'd been wary about hoping it'd be a good film I ended up being very pleasantly surprised. Most of all, I liked the acting, and especially the apartheid metaphor, and the realistic handling of it all just improved it. There were a couple plotholes I thought, like Wikus having a bit too much skill with weapons and the like for someone I assumed didn't have any military training (
Spoiler:
), but overall it was a solid piece. The CGI was especially impressive, especially once you realise every prawn and piece of alien tech is CG.

Spoiler:

If I would've improved on anything, it would've been the character development. While some, like Wikus, were nicely fleshed out, others could've done with a lot more. For example, I don't think I even knew the PMC leader's name was Koobus until the credits- he was never even named in the film as far as I saw. The film also felt like it ended a bit abruptly, but that might've just been because I was getting really into it. It didn't seem all that necessary to have quite as much swearing as the film did -- it seemed like an f-bomb or two was dropped every other minute -- but it wasn't taken quite to Tarantino-esque levels. Overall, though, an excellent film.
Back to top Go down
Ceres
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Ceres

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 pm

I loved it! But Koobus' name was mentioned several times. Wilkur even shouts his name near the end.
Back to top Go down
T.S.Orr
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
T.S.Orr

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 pm

I want to see this movie. I was told by a friend that it sucked but then again, he likes Twilight. So his opinion doesn't count. Now I may go to the football game or to the movies....decisions, decisions.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 11:51 pm

Ceres wrote:
I loved it! But Koobus' name was mentioned several times. Wilkur even shouts his name near the end.
Weird. Maybe I didn't hear it, or forgot it. I kept thinking of him as "the merc that looks a bit like my wrestling coach". Sorry, then.
Back to top Go down
Miraba
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miraba

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 9:25 pm

I just saw got back from my second viewing, and I had to go into the pit. Why do I subject myself to such things? WHY?

Some of the summaries indicated that the fics could be decent (character studies), but I also saw the following: Wikus/Christophert, Wikus/OC, Christopher/OC, and What-if-Wikus-was-female? (gag).

I'd applaud anyone who went in there and brought something back for us. I just don't think I'm the one.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 12:41 am

At least there's nothing between Wikus and Chris Jr. yet...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I saw District 9 last night   I saw District 9 last night Empty

Back to top Go down

I saw District 9 last night
Page 1 of 1