Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!

Go down 
+9
Melissa
fishstickhater
Glorfindel
myeerah
Verandering
Notomys mordax
Raine
ZoZo
Keith Fraser
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! Empty
PostSubject: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:24 pm

We all love TV Tropes, right? Even if it has Ruined Our Lives. Anyway, this writing challenge was partly inspired by Narwhal's Badfic Challenge and its use of fun combinations of badfic tropes. This is a more general challenge, with every trope on the Wiki up for grabs. To join, proceed as follows:

1. Go to TV Tropes.
2. Hit the 'random item' button repeatedly, and note down the first six actual tropes that come up. i.e. disregarding any works, authors, tropers, index pages, stuff from the DarthWiki and SugarWiki etc. that come up. I'll let people decide for themselves what to use and what to discard, so you could keep something like Memetic Badass if you feel like writing a Mr. T vs. Chuck Norris fic or something, or you could ditch it as it's not really a fiction trope.
3. Come up with an idea for an original story or a fanfic set in a fandom you're familiar with that uses all six tropes. You can play them straight, parody them or play with them, but not subvert or avert them. You can generate a new set if you can't think of anything.
4. (Optional) Write the story!

Variants:

Extreme Version: Note any works of fiction that come up while you're generating tropes. Your story must be a fanfic of all these works.
Hardcore Version: No re-runs. You must accept the first set of tropes that come up.
Xtreme Hardkore Verzion: Combine the two above.

Example:

Tropes - But What About The Astronauts?, Child Hater, Super Strength, Body Swap, Mega Corp, Crossover Punchline
Premise - A group of three astronauts on the International Space Station survive the destruction of 99.999% of humanity by a virus released by an evil Mega Corp. They use their emergency escape vehicle to make a controlled landing on the US eastern seaboard and wander the corpse-strewn cities for a while. When they get attacked by survivors who the virus has turned into insane mutants, they discover that magic space radiation has given them super strength!
Eventually, they find a large mixed group of adorable children who survived at a summer camp in the Midwest (the camp staff went in search of supplies and were never seen again). Realizing that there is hope for humanity, the astronauts decide to stay and protect the camp with their superpowers. However, one of the astronauts hates children because he was bullied at school, and eventually leaves the camp on his own. He finds his way to the evil Mega Corp's hidden mountain bunker, where the company board and their minions are plotting to take over the near-empty world and rule as god-kings. Captured by said minions, the astronaut is subjected to the company's mind-manipulation technology and body-swapped with the company CEO, who wants his superstrength for himself and plans to infiltrate the peaceful camp, which he sees as both a threat and a source of fresh minions.
Stuck in the CEO's ageing body and imprisoned in a maximum security cell, our hero has to trick his way to freedom. Stealing a helicopter, he makes his way to the camp only to find that the CEO has already killed the other two astronauts and captured most of the children. However, a small group of kids, who had tried to befriend him earlier, smelled a rat and managed to escape. Our hero links up with these kids and organizes them to help him take out the CEO and the arriving security forces. Using a device the CEO had with him, our hero is able to transfer back to his old body. He then convinces the Evil Mega Corp board members that he is the CEO long enough to have them all arrested, while assuring the loyalty of their minions. Having learned that kids aren't so bad, he looks forward to using the corporation's resources to assure the camp children a bright future. Oh, and we learn the evil corporation was called Umbrella. THE END!

Last edited by Keith Fraser on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:30 pm

This sounds like fun, I might look into it when I have a spare six hours to lose to TV Tropes.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:16 pm

Hm... I'll post up my initial 6, but I might interchange later.

*Opening Shout Out
*Redundant Rescue
*Still The Eighties
*Liquid Assets
*Something Wicked This Way Comes
*All That Glitters

What an interesting combination. o_o

EDIT: Okay, brainstorming an idea.

The Opening Shout Out catches me out a little, although my first reaction to it is something from Kingdom Hearts. A good number of fics end up re-doing the opening where Sora falls through the sky and that crap - so I know that's horribly cliche. Redundant Rescue isn't too hard to figure out if I do something like make a Mary Sue that can beat everyone's asses, yet needs one of the main characters to rescue her all the time. For a moment I was tempted to say the Mary Sue would use 80s slang, but that's anti-cliche (I think?). So it needs to be assigned to a comedic sidekick. Liquid Assets means someone is trying to steal some sort of energy or something from people, I suppose. Something Wicked this Way Comes - running gag of some sort. And the All that Glitters sounds like a great way to end a troll fic.

Somehow, this sounds a little like the Kingdom Hearts trollfic I already wrote. Maybe I should go for a re-take.

Last edited by Raine on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notomys mordax

Notomys mordax

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Same here, my six...

High Octane Nightmare Fuel
I am He as You are He
Fiction 500
Falling Chandelier of Doom
Loyal Animal Companion
If I Do Not Return
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Hmm, it has caught my interest! I will have a proper look into TV Tropes when I get home.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 3:36 am

OK, I think I'm in. I have these six:
L Is For Dyslexia
Innocence Virgin On Stupidity
Everyone is Jesus in Purgatory
Proud Warrior Race Guy
One Letter Name
Naked People Trapped Outside

Er, right. It's like the internet wants me to write truly horrid stories.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:16 am

Interesting.

Sand Bridge at Low Tide
Hero Harasses Helpers
Chewbacca Defense
Someone Has to Die
In the Hood
Clarke's Third Law

I smell parody. :face:
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 4:19 pm

1. The Smart Guy
2. Deus ex Machina
3. Bishounen
4. Black Eyes of Evil
5. Kansas City Shuffle
6. Mother Nature Father Science

AUGH WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS D:
I need a non sleepy brain to work it out.
Back to top Go down
Glorfindel

Glorfindel

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 4:59 pm

I am intrigued. Are we allowed to play about trying to subvert the tropes or do we actually have to have the tropes in their pure form?

1. Despair Event Horizon
2. Honour Before Reason
3. Attention Whore
4. Erotic Dream
5. People Jars
6. Dead Little Sister
Back to top Go down
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Verandering: I'm thinking a story about a genius bishounen scientist who goes too far and acquires Black Eyes of Evil when he experiments with pure concentrated evil. This is the result of lots of different people plotting fiendishly. He is eventually saved by the sparkly power of nature in a deus ex machina.

Glorfindel: You can muck about with them a bit by putting an original spin on them or play them straight in a deliberately hilarious fashion, but you can't avoid them or invert them.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Just for the lulz here:

~ Jet Pack
~ First Law Of Metafictional Thermodynamics
~ Fashion Victim Villain
~ National Anthem
~ Techno Wreckage
~ He Didn't Make It

wut is this i dont even... Now that seems impossible to put together.
Back to top Go down
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:42 am

You might want to replace the First Law of Metafictional Thermodynamics with something else, it seems to relate mainly to TV series that change over time.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:56 am

I just noticed now that accepting the first six tropes to come up is the hardcore version. Wellp. XD

@Keith: Ahaha hey not a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 1:22 am

Keith Fraser wrote:
You might want to replace the First Law of Metafictional Thermodynamics with something else, it seems to relate mainly to TV series that change over time.

I think I'll stick with my first lot anyway. Shocked
Back to top Go down
fishstickhater
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
fishstickhater

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Denouement
Narrator All Along
Gondor Calls for Aid
Long Lost Relative
Hollywood Nerd
News Travels Fast

Wow, that just seems like a recipe for badfic. I really need to write it.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 6:16 pm

Sorry, I'm not good at making links. I keep getting an error message. But, I've got:
Bankruptcy Barrel
Ironic Hell
Some Anvils Need to be Dropped
Animal Jingoism
Circling Birdies
Bob Dylan

I know Bob Dylan isn't a trope, but I think I could write him in somehow. SANTBD fits so well with Ironic Hell. The Anvil is- Don't be an asshole! I have an OC that I've been keeping on the sidelines of some fics, but never put as a main character. I'll get to work!
Back to top Go down
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 12:05 pm

Another one, just for fun:

Tropes: I Lied, Common Place Rare, Someday This Will Come In Handy, Hassle Free Hotwire, No Exit, Everything Breaks

Premise: A stereotypical man who is a fan of an obscure form of car racing is very unhappily married to a stereotypical woman. He desperately wants out of the marriage, but somehow can't pluck up the courage to ask his wife for a divorce. One day, he runs into a famous (male) movie star in a bar and pours out his woes to him. The movie star sympathetically offers to seduce our hero's wife and therefore give him a cast-iron excuse to get a divorce. In return, he wants only one thing: a Super Size McDonald's Big Mac Meal (which, being on a strict diet enforced by a sadistic trainer, he isn't able to get for himself).

Our hero readily agrees, but discovers that every McDonald's in town is closed for staff training. He drives over to the next town, only to find it inhabited by hippies who have forced every fast food joint in the place to close. This pattern is repeated in several other towns. Finally, our hero manages to secure the meal, but oh noes! His car breaks down. The local garage can't help him with a replacement car for a couple of days...but wait! They have a racing car in the shop that's just finished being repaired. They don't have the keys as the owner is picking it up the next day, and no-one really knows how to drive it anyway.

Except our hero, for the car is just the type he is obsessed with! He hotwires the car and heads for home (planning to return the car later). On the way, he is spotted by some of the aforementioned hippies, who are horrified at the thought of McDonald's food being transported through their town. They try to head our hero off in their hydrogen-fuelled SUVs, electric cars and other weird zero-pollution vehicles. A spectacular car chase sequence ensues, in which most of the hippie town is destroyed by cars ploughing through buildings and hydrogen tanks cooking off in massive fireballs.

Finally, our hero makes it home, bruised and battered, and finds the movie star in his kitchen making coffee. Assuming that he's fulfilled his promise and seduced his wife, he presents him with the somewhat bedraggled meal. As he is devouring it, the movie star casually says: "Your daughter's great in bed!"

"You said you were going to seduce my wife!" our hero points out.

"I lied," says the movie star, and departs. Our hero's wife then comes down and starts nagging him about doing something about their daughter's unsuitable new boyfriend. Then the police and a group of enraged hippies knock at the door, along with the owner of the racing car and several other people our hero pissed off along the way. He breaks down and begins to cry with despair.

Wow, I enjoyed that way too much. Cool
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm

Well, I finally finished the story I was working on! It uses the tropes Bankruptcy Barrel, Ironic Hell, Some Anvils Need to be Dropped, Animal Jingoism, Circling Birdies and Bob Dylan. There's probably others. See how many you can find! Fluffy Cloud Heaven is mentioned (not shown) and there's a subverted trope near the end.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Delcat

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Keith, be honest. You just made a deal with the dark Lovecraftian entity that devours all time through TV Tropes and we're the promised sacrifices.

We don't blame you. Trope-Tan is a powerful mistress. But we can't be led like lambs with such a...such a simple pl...OH MY GOD IT'S BEEN LIKE TWO WHOLE HOURS SINCE I TRAWLED FOR NEW EDITS IN NIGHTMARE FUEL: WESTERN ANIMATION

curse yooooou
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:04 pm

Your story's page doesn't load, Melissa.
Back to top Go down
Lurv
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lurv

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 4:12 pm

I think this is it?

Crap, I was thinking of trying this challenge, but then I forgot all about it. I could still try, I guess.

The tropes I got this time:

Blade On A Stick
Cute Monster Girl
Money For Nothing (it's a video game trope, but still considering it)
Scannable Man
Hero Ball
Kangaroo Court
The Kobayashi Maru

Well, I don't know, maybe I'll get inspired.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:52 pm

That looks like it. Her original link didn't work.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 5:59 am

Whoops! Sorry. Didn't realize you had to be logged in to see that link. I thought the layout of the link I originally posted looked better. Thanks for posting a working link, Lurv. Unfortunately, FictionPress doesn't recognize Italics, so just pretend One Life to Live is Italicized.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 6:20 am

It didn't work even when I was logged in.
Back to top Go down
Nerdanel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! EmptySat Nov 30, 2013 6:30 am

I decided before getting the random tropes that I would make a Kuroshitsuji fanfic, no matter what. The first set had Mascot Mook which just isn't there in Kuroshitsuji, so I ended up using the third set I generated.

Larynx Dissonance
Rose Tinted Narrative
Carrying the Antidote
Heroism Incentive
Parental Substitute
The Music Meister

Warning: The world itself is OOC thanks to Rose Tinted Narrative.

It was an ordinary, pleasant day at the Phantomhive manor when Charles Phipps walked in, carrying a letter from the Queen. The servants all greeted him cheerfully, having gotten accustomed to his unscheduled visits. Phipps himself had also gradually opened up and learned to not always be so serious.

"A strange person is making the citizens of London burst out in song for no conceivable reason?" Ciel stared at the letter and read it again to be sure he hadn't imagined it. "These cases just keep getting stranger."

And so on the next evening Ciel and Sebastian were patrolling London and checking for sources of music. Sebastian's excellent hearing made pinpointing singing a breeze. It wasn't too long before he spotted what they were looking for.

A beautiful woman singing a duetto by herself, changing her voice to match male and female parts. Her baritone wasn't quite perfect, but Ciel had to admit her singing was overall very good, as would be expected from a professional opera singer. She was surrounded by a crowd of people who joined in the rousing chorus parts. It looked like everyone was having a good time.

"It's you!" Ciel exclaimed, stopping himself from singing by the force of his will. "Irene Diaz, what do you think you're doing?" Meanwhile Sebastian had already grabbed Irene and poured his special anti-magic potion down her throat. The compulsion to sing disappeared immediately.

"I only wanted to make people happy," Irene said. "What's wrong with that? When I learned the magical ability to share songs I decided I wanted to spread the joy of music to all the world, even to the people who lack the confidence to sing."

"That's not a bad motivation," Ciel said. "You should however consider that people might have something urgent to do and can't afford to stop to sing. I think you should use your magic in singing halls where people can go with full knowledge." Irene promised to so that in the future, and Sebastian gave Irene the antidote to his anti-magic potion.

Afterwards Lord Randall came with the check from the Scotland Yard. Ciel smiled. It was a good bribe for an evening's work. Lord Randall also smiled. He had learned to trust Ciel and his desire to do good, at least if there was money in it. Sebastian too was in a good mood. He had raised his Young Master well, and seeing him put his etiquette teachings flawlessly in practice made Sebastian feel fatherly pride over his young charge. Sebastian knew that he could never take the Ciels soul, but that wasn't really a bad thing, was it? A good life with a purpose was better than any soul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!   The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes! Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tropefic Challenge - create a story using randomly generated tropes!
Page 1 of 1