Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sequels That Sucked

Go down 
+30
Parallax
kleine_kat
Penguin
TheHermit
Mikey Go WOOGA
slinkythecynic
Electron Blue
Lysander
theweirdkind
Miss Prince
Ceres
saeku
Knorg
anangrychocobo
Mafiosa
Thanos6
Manny
DarthDarthington
InkWeaver
Delcat
Theaphelia
Spanish Ninja
Kitbug
Notomys mordax
myeerah
Saleha
Chalchihuitlicue
Rydain
AngryRobotsInc
Freezer
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DarthDarthington
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DarthDarthington

Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 9:45 am

Ceres wrote:
Oh, I liked FFX-II too. Fun music, playing dress up, ect. I really iked the dress system.

As for sequels that suck, Sonic. I'd never own a Sega Genesis, so I bought the Sonic pack for the PS2 a few years ago. You could really feel the degradation with each game. I remember they included this Mario Kart knock-off for Game Gear or something, and it was just painful.

I'm not sure that I'd consider the Game Gear games 'sequels'. They all sucked. Yeah, the games have gotten progressively worse and have been pretty awful for like the past decade, but the 'main series' (which, for me, is Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic CD) is just golden.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 am

Your mileage may vary,but Kingdom Hearts 2.

"Wow the first game wasn't bad guess I'll checkout the next onCUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE FIVE HOUR TUTORIAL CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CANON FUCKAGE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE"
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Mafiosa wrote:

"Wow the first game wasn't bad guess I'll checkout the next onCUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE FIVE HOUR TUTORIAL CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CANON FUCKAGE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE CUTSCENE"

You know, I actually don't mind lots and lots of cutscenes (I made it through Xenosaga, for Christ's sake), but Kingdom Hearts II was disappointing to me because of its convoluted, muddy plot that didn't know where it was going and confused the mythology of the series (even further).

But no one cares. Pretty sure the fangirls, at least, weren't playing for the plot.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Mafiosa wrote:

At least you could skip the damn cutscenes, unlike Kingdom Hearts 1. Dry
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 7:16 pm

I have a scared feeling that Supreme Commander 2 will be like this. I'm not sure if I trust a Square-developed character-driven sequel to a western-style strategy game. They keep talking about "divided friendships." I don't care about "divided friendships."

I care about rather or not I can crash a giant flying saucer into a huge enemy robot and cause a nuclear explosion that takes out their entire army in one blow. I care about building an artillery piece the size of a small town that blows up buildings on another continent. I care about sending my giant robot to build a colossal robot that strides across the ocean floor, walks up the beach, and erases an enemy coastal base with a single sweep of it's death ray.

I CARE ABOUT :lolinsane: NOT CHARACTERS, GODDAMMIT!
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Unreal II was...not Unreal II. It was more like Halo: Now with no vehicles and Unreal flavoring! It was very linear, had a very uninteresting set of weapons ( a CRIME for an Unreal game) though it did have the spider launcher and singularity generator. But it just didn't have the story, the sprawling levels, the cool aesthetic (despite having better graphics, most of the design is uninventive, aside from the H.R. Giger inspired level) or THE GODDAMN SKAARJ OR NALI. The Skaarj make a total of two appearances if I remember correctly, and the Nali aren't even mentioned. Even when the Skaarj do show up, they have these blue space monkeys as mercenaries instead of the Mercenaries, Behemoths, Brutes, Krall and Titans of the first game. In their place we are given...human opponents and a whole fucking level full of SPIDERS. SPIDERS ARE NOT COOL ANYMORE. So goddamn generic it hurt. Unreal was original, close to nonlinear and explorative, with enemies that were fun to fight and looked great for the time. Unreal II was about as forgettable as it gets.
Back to top Go down
slinkythecynic

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:28 am

Resident Evil 4&5 BUG THE PISS OUT OF ME. The whole 'parasites' thing was done by Parasite Eve, which I enjoyed. Resident Evil just doesn't feel the same. Bugs me.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:56 am

slinkythecynic wrote:
Resident Evil 4&5 BUG THE PISS OUT OF ME. The whole 'parasites' thing was done by Parasite Eve, which I enjoyed. Resident Evil just doesn't feel the same. [/b]Bugs me.[/b]

I see what you did there. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:56 pm

slinkythecynic wrote:
Resident Evil 4&5 BUG THE PISS OUT OF ME. The whole 'parasites' thing was done by Parasite Eve, which I enjoyed. Resident Evil just doesn't feel the same. Bugs me.

Resident Evil 4 is one of the better games of the series. It's campy and silly and stupid and it just totally rolls with it. I didn't think the parasites were out of place at all; it isn't that much different from a virus in terms of story power and allowed for more varied zombie types (different weapons, head-exploding monsters, etc).

Plus, wasn't Parasite Eve about mitochondria?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 4:21 am

slinkythecynic wrote:

You stay the hell away from my co-op and laser-aimed weapons of all kinds.
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
kleine_kat

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 am

Gabriel Knight was great. The Beast Within, GK2, with real actors and movies--I don't even know what you call that technique--was a bit crappy, but still fun. The opera scene is awesome. The third Gabriel Knight, however, was pretty much fail on all accounts.

'Oh, let's do 3D!' Sierra must've thought. 'Everybody does it! It doesn't matter that we don't have a good engine or anything, so let's just do it!'

The result: Block-like and pixely people and a terrible camera view. The story was somewhat ok, and it is kind of cool that you can eavesdrop on people with a glass, but...no.

Lemmings 3D was another horror.

Simon the Sorcerer 3D, too. Almost all those early 3D games that suffered from the Ohgodeverybody's3Dsososhouldwe! plague.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 9:08 am

kleine_kat wrote:
Gabriel Knight was great. The Beast Within, GK2, with real actors and movies--I don't even know what you call that technique--was a bit crappy, but still fun. The opera scene is awesome. The third Gabriel Knight, however, was pretty much fail on all accounts.

'Oh, let's do 3D!' Sierra must've thought. 'Everybody does it! It doesn't matter that we don't have a good engine or anything, so let's just do it!'

The result: Block-like and pixely people and a terrible camera view. The story was somewhat ok, and it is kind of cool that you can eavesdrop on people with a glass, but...no.

Aside from graphics, I'd say the biggest flop was characterization. No decent anti-villain, I don't know what the hell happened to Grace, Gabriel worse than he had been in the first game, the side characters of terrible stereotypes, and inexplicable CIA!Mosely? What the hell?

Aside from the cat fur mustache and the Indiana Jones-esque ending, though, I really did like the puzzles.

I'll grant that a lot of the crap came from the team creating their own engine rather than using one already made, then being told that, as soon as they were done, they were all fired. That would put a crimp in anyone's style.
Back to top Go down
Parallax

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 11:35 am

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight.

EA really screwed that one up.
Back to top Go down
Vilecat

Vilecat

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 8:59 pm

Miss Prince wrote:
You know, I actually don't mind lots and lots of cutscenes (I made it through Xenosaga, for Christ's sake), but Kingdom Hearts II was disappointing to me because of its convoluted, muddy plot that didn't know where it was going and confused the mythology of the series (even further).

But no one cares. Pretty sure the fangirls, at least, weren't playing for the plot.
KHII is proly one of the games that gave me the most lulz because of how bad/predictable/muddy the whole story was (closely followed by Baten Kaitos for dialogues). It's like watching a bad fic. I rented it for a weekend and played it on Easy mode to see the story. I thought I'd die from laughter before I killed the final boss, I just couldn't breath at some point. THE HEARTS!!! HEEEAAARTS!!!11!11one. I can't even remember if I bought the game or no, but if I do it'd be for the gummi ship mini-game. I'm a sucker for shmups. I almost forgot: a good part of the plot is related to the GBA game that came out after KH1 (Chain of Memories if I recall). Anyone who hasn't read and/or played the GBA game ends up being even more confused when playing KHII.

Legend of Legaia 2 was a big disappointment, I never finished the game.

Devil May Cry 2 is only good for teaching you the basic game mechanics of the serie. Everything in that game is disappointing, and the extra costumes you first unlock for Dante and that emo chick are terrible. You can also unlock his DMC1 costume, but you might as well play the first game instead.

Super Pitfall was terrible and had pratically nothing to do with Pitfall, but that might just go too far back for most people.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 9:17 pm

^re: Chain of Memories

The worst part about it was, even when Chain of Memories came out on Playstation, it was unplayable as all hell. Did anyone try it? I could not, for the life of me, get past the fucking card battle system. No Goofy or Donald unless you found their cards bouncing around! You can't hit someone until you activate the card that allows you to hit someone! Oh, you can only restock your deck a few times per round!

What a shit-tastic battle system. I played for one hour before quitting out of complete frustration.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 10:57 pm

InkWeaver wrote:
^re: Chain of Memories

The worst part about it was, even when Chain of Memories came out on Playstation, it was unplayable as all hell. Did anyone try it? I could not, for the life of me, get past the fucking card battle system. No Goofy or Donald unless you found their cards bouncing around! You can't hit someone until you activate the card that allows you to hit someone! Oh, you can only restock your deck a few times per round!

What a shit-tastic battle system. I played for one hour before quitting out of complete frustration.
I played the GBA version and didn't find it that bad. Sure, you had to run around while reloading, but you could that forever, unless you spammed sleights and card stocks, which eliminates the first card permanently; and even those can be recovered with item and enemy cards.

Sure it was annoying to keep resynthesizing rooms to get the moogle shop to give you good stuff, but still.

Also, try using a bunch of zero cards on a boss without picturing Sora with the biggest trollface.
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 11:25 pm

One word, two Roman numerals: Ultima IX.

That game killed the franchise. No
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
relevant stuff
I may not have given it enough of a chance. Playing it on the Playstation, it felt like I was playing a normal KH game with the good ol' Hit Shit to Your Heart's Content battle system, and the fact that it wasn't really grated on my nerves.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 26, 2010 7:23 pm

How about a game that was a sequel to a movie?

Matrix Online was one hell of a disappointment. The whole premise of the Matrix was turned into a lame shooter RPG with no soul of its own. The battle system was basically turn based button pushing with little or no strategy. The beginning of the game is just every fanboy's fantasy of being the spechul one whisked away to adventure.

And then all it was was a grind. Discover telephone booths, walk the streets, get calls from your contacts every twenty seconds to be their gofer. The whole story felt like it was taking place somewhere else and you were left just grinding away in your 9-5.

There was nothing going on outside the Matrix. When you logged out of the Matrix you didn't come back to your ship to maybe take orders from your captain or progress the story. No, when you logged out you ceased to exist in game until you logged in again.

And then they fucking killed Morpheus! And what was he killed by? A horde of flies wielding a gun. LAME!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sequels That Sucked   Sequels That Sucked - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sequels That Sucked
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: GodAwful Bullshit-
Jump to: