Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

France debates to ban burqa

Go down 
+29
Sloth
KGarrett
Penguin
anangrychocobo
Lysander
KelinciHutan
Ceres
Avari
Miss Prince
Salamas
Lapin
Maximilia
Verandering
Somath Cegem
ZoZo
Ihasacookie
Lexin
DeeDee
Aggie
Narwhal
Spotts1701
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Bamshalam
Lady Anne
Psy-4
gaijinguy
Mikey Go WOOGA
grmblfjx
quamp
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
quamp
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
quamp

France debates to ban burqa Empty
PostSubject: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Story here

Quote :
PARIS - French legislators took up the touchy subject of face-covering, body-length Muslim veils such as the burqa Wednesday, as a leading lawmaker softened his calls for an outright ban by suggesting the garments could be forbidden gradually.

Banning the garment is supported by the French president Nicolas Sarkozy.

Quote :
France's questioning of the veils has raised hackles among some Muslim groups abroad and prompted threats from an al-Qaida affiliate based in Algeria.

Will we see a 9-11 type attack in France? Who knows...

Quote :
Instead, he suggested a two-stage effort, "a ban preceded by six months to a year of dialogue, explanation and warnings."

Most of this, of course, will be coming from radical Muslims.
Can't we all get along here? Whatever happened to "live and let live?"
Back to top Go down
http://quamp.deviantart.com
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Well. I do think that the burqa is not so much part of a culture as it is a tool to suppress women (not even show your eyes? Come on), so I wouldn't be sad to see it go.

On the other hand, women who are used to it will feel awfully naked without. I wouldn't be comfortable going outside in just underwear, either, so I don't know if this is the right way of going about it.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Mikey to France: DO IT FAGGOTS!

Also, I can understand walking around in the street with them on. But if you want to take a picture for a drivers license, or go inside a bank, or government building, SHOW YOUR FACE!
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 6:32 pm

/me waits for Psy-4 and company to show up and voice their support for this "freedom from religion."
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 6:40 pm

Funny you should say that, Mikey, because all that is needed for this is to make facial concealment illegal, with no exceptions for cultural or religious reasons. It could be even under pretense of security risk. I'm not savvy in legal codex's, but I think that in some States facial concealment is illegal.

Quote :
burqa is not so much part of a culture as it is a tool to suppress women
Suppression of women is part of Islamic culture. Or is it 'was'? Or 'still getting there'? Or only in certain parts? There is no consistency there, and it's too much of a pain in the ass to say properly.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 6:52 pm

To wear the burqa or not to wear the burqa? That is the question.

Seriously, how about letting people make their own choices about what they wear?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
Seriously, how about letting people make their own choices about what they wear?
That would require getting rid of culture, tradition, and religion.
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 7:48 pm

quamp wrote:

Most of this, of course, will be coming from radical Muslims.
...Or Algerian Muslims that are sick of being treated like crap by the French government. France's relationship with its Muslim population is far different from the one we have with ours.
That said, I think the ban is bullshit.

*waits patiently for Avari*
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 8:05 pm

I wouldn't miss the burqa. But I suspect a lot of Muslims would not feel at all comfortable without it, whether men or women, and the non-radicals too.

It was originally a tool for the suppression of women. Trouble is that it's become so very effective that it is also part of their culture.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
Funny you should say that, Mikey, because all that is needed for this is to make facial concealment illegal, with no exceptions for cultural or religious reasons. It could be even under pretense of security risk. I'm not savvy in legal codex's, but I think that in some States facial concealment is illegal.

It is in most respects - there are some very narrow exceptions, but for the most part you have to have a bona fide medical or religious reason for it.

Even then, new technology is slowly phasing out these exceptions (in some states you can't even wear prescription glasses in your driver's license photo because it will be used for facial recognition purposes).
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 9:34 pm

All this does is confirm my piss-poor opinion of the French government.
Back to top Go down
Aggie
Aggie

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 10:18 pm

If this ban goes through, will Muslim women be forced to remain in their home at all times?
Back to top Go down
DeeDee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
DeeDee

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 pm

My problem: I don't see how banning women from wearing burqas is essentially any different than making them wear the burqas. Either way, the woman doesn't get much say, and her decision is made for her. Not to mention, it's very subjective territory. If a particular woman doesn't feel she's being suppressed by her burqa, and chooses to wear it, then is it anyone's business?

That said, there are some practical considerations, such as public safety. And I think there does need to be a limit to how much exception there is for religious practices.
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 4:31 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Well. I do think that the burqa is not so much part of a culture as it is a tool to suppress women (not even show your eyes? Come on), so I wouldn't be sad to see it go.

On the other hand, women who are used to it will feel awfully naked without. I wouldn't be comfortable going outside in just underwear, either, so I don't know if this is the right way of going about it.
This.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 5:35 am

Psy-4 wrote:
Quote :
burqa is not so much part of a culture as it is a tool to suppress women
Suppression of women is part of Islamic culture. Or is it 'was'? Or 'still getting there'? Or only in certain parts? There is no consistency there, and it's too much of a pain in the ass to say properly.

No, I mean to cover your hair and stuff like that is "culture", and not just islamic. Just like you're not supposed to go into churches half-naked in some places (on our class trip to Italy the girls had to -at least- either wear a modest shirt or long pants/skirts, preferably both). Some muslim women choose to wear a head scarf just like some christian women choose to dress modestly, because they believe it is appropriate for them as religious people.

Making her wear a cheese-grater in front of her face, that's a bit over the top.

Do you remember feminism? Are you aware that women still often get paid less for the same job? Islamic culture doesn't have the monopoly on suppressing women, we've just made a little more progress here.
Back to top Go down
Ihasacookie

Ihasacookie

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 5:37 am

I'm not getting the logic of banning the burqa: "We think it is oppresive to women so we will take away their choice of wearing it."

scratch
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 5:49 am

Aggie wrote:
If this ban goes through, will Muslim women be forced to remain in their home at all times?
That's what I'm worried about. This ban may actually be increasing the suppression of these women.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Islamic culture doesn't have the monopoly on suppressing women, we've just made a little more progress here.
We did, but you're going on a tangent that is unrelated to my post, which did not counter my point, and is, therefore, confusing to me about its purpose.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 am

You know, I can see exactly hoe this was decided upon.

"Women covering up there entire bodies? That is not the French way!"
"But these are Muslim women, it is part of their religion."
"Are we not France! Religion be damned, the Berqa must go!"
"Viva la France!"
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 am

Psy-4 wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
Islamic culture doesn't have the monopoly on suppressing women, we've just made a little more progress here.
We did, but you're going on a tangent that is unrelated to my post, which did not counter my point, and is, therefore, confusing to me about its purpose.
I did, yeah. I tried to make two points at once, only one related to your post.

My point was that saying "suppression of women is part of Islamic culture" comes across as ignorant both ways, towards muslims because it is a sweeping generalization, and towards the West because that implies that suppression of women is not happening here.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 6:52 am

lmfao Somath.

In any case, I agree completely with Grumbles and DeeDee. If the concern is suppressing women, that must be taken up on an individual level first, and even then it's not like every single woman feels the same way about their traditions. The government has no place in deciding that kind of thing in such a fashion.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 7:30 am

grmblfjx wrote:
My point was that saying "suppression of women is part of Islamic culture" comes across as ignorant both ways, towards muslims because it is a sweeping generalization,
Psy-4 wrote:
Or is it 'was'? Or 'still getting there'? Or only in certain parts? There is no consistency there, and it's too much of a
pain in the ass to say properly.
Reading! It does your points good.

grmblfjx wrote:
and towards the West because that implies that suppression of women is not happening
here.
After doing a double take and checking my post for saying that Islamic culture was the only one to have suppression of women, and not finding any, I say that you are full of crap and need to stop reading too much into posts with ass-backwards logic.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 7:52 am

I'd be kinda pissed if I were Muslim there. After all, it's not prohibiting all facial concealment, and not even pretending it was. It seems a direct attack on one particular piece of clothing worn by one particular segment of the population. Whether the burqa itself is right or wrong is largely irrelevant here. The French government is picking out one part of the population to pass laws about... of course, I'm not French, so maybe that's just how they roll there. In America, people would be having screaming fits about being told what they could or could not wear... even if it's a piece of clothing that aids in suppressing women.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 8:13 am

I'm not comfortable with this idea at all. I work with and see a lot of Muslim women every day, and most wear the full outfit. Not the burqa, but more often the two piece head covering/face veil and dress. (Which, frankly, I think looks pretty cool) (What? It does)

I don't think it is a tool of oppression in the Western world. Not really. A lot of the women I meet choose to wear the burqa, just like I choose to wear a dress. They honestly think that being modest is a part of Allah's will, and will follow it. And when I see their husbands, their husbands dress just as modestly. Shapeless clothing and head covering. (Shrugs) I don't know, none of this bothers me. It's not my religion, its theirs. This is how they choose to show their love and devotion to Islam.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa EmptyFri Jul 17, 2009 8:26 am

Maximilia wrote:
In America, people would be having screaming fits about being told what they could or could not wear...
While not grasping the irony that wearing a burqa is part of an Islamic tradition and not an independently made decision? Touche.

Lapin wrote:
I don't think it is a tool of oppression in the Western world. Not really. A lot of the women I meet choose to wear the burqa, just like I choose to wear a dress.
But do you believe that a higher being wants you to wear a dress? At what point does obeying tradition ends and making personal decisions starts?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: France debates to ban burqa   France debates to ban burqa Empty

Back to top Go down

France debates to ban burqa
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: GodAwful Bullshit-
Jump to: