Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Historical travesties

Go down 
+12
Disco Stu
Summercorn
TheHedonist
rae
bleachedblackcat
Maximilia
Lady Anne
Mikey Go WOOGA
Cyberwulf
Penguin
Mouse
Cunovendus
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cunovendus

Historical travesties - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 2:54 am

Summercorn wrote:
'This is the Earth, sixty-five million years ago'.

That's hilarious! I ave seen that film but I don't remember the start.

Quote :
speaking of gladiator i am p sure commodus didnt get stabbed to death in the arena by some spanish guy

That's true, he didn't. In fact, while I love that film to death, that end scene does spoil it. Although, interestingly, apparently Commodus did used to fight in the gladitorial ring - apparently he was very good at it (which had nothing to do with the fact that most people won't dare to actually hurt the Emperor). But he is not known to have died in any gladiator battle.

I have also read that Commodus was a shite Emperor, so that part was also true. Lucillia's conspiracy against him is also true. He was, however, eventually murdered by his own praetorians, and not in a duel.

For some reason, I don't mind the "killing Marcus Aurelius" part, because - in my mind - it's conceivable that it could have happened, given his character. Since nobody witnessed it except for one general who was executed as a traitor, it wouldn't have been recorded.

Or maybe I'm just biased because I love that film! Razz 
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 3:09 am

I hate you so much
Back to top Go down
Summercorn
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Summercorn

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 8:12 am

During the Second World War, the Nazi's had a code machine, named Enigma. They claimed it was unbreakable. An earlier version was captured in 1928 by the Polish and it took until 1932 that the Polish Cipher Bureau could break it. The PCB gave their findings to the French and British in 1939, just before The Nazi invasion of Poland.

The first capture of the newer, harder Enigma machine came from a U-boat, the U-110 in May 1941. The Royal Naval ship HMS Bulldog captured a naval Enigma machine and associated cipher keys. In 1942, the British seized the U-559 and captured additional codebooks. Alan Turing and his team of cryptographers broke the code at Bletchley Park.

In 2000, a film, U-571 about these heroic events was made. Except in the movie a bunch of Americans, in a disguised submarine, capture the Enigma machine.

This movie contains:

America getting the first Enigma machine.

- The newer Enigma machine was captured by the British in May 1941

- America enters the second world war on December 8th 1941.

- Out of some 15 captures of naval Enigma material during World War II, all but two were by the British – the Royal Canadian Navy captured U-774 and the U.S. Navy seized U-505 in June 1944. By this time the Allies were already reading naval Enigma traffic routinely.

The Americans sinking the German U-boat with both vessels underwater.

- The only instance of a submerged submarine's sinking another submerged vessel was the Action of 9 February 1945 when HMS Venturer sank the U-864 with torpedoes.

A Messerschmitt 109 is referred to as a 'long range reconnaissance' aircraft.

- The 109 was a short range plane.

The Americans capture the U-571.

- Not at all. The U-571 was the only U-boat to be sunk by an aircraft. This was a Short Sunderland Mk.3 flying boat belonging to the Royal Australian Air Force. Dropped depth charges sank the U-Boat west of Ireland. All hands were lost.

The Americans capture the U-571 from a disguised sub the USS S-33.

- The USS S-33 spent the entire war from her commission in 1942 in the Pacific. She wasn't sunk in the war and was sold for scrap in 1946.

Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 am

Cyberwulf wrote:

a friend of a friend walked out of a screening of gladiator at the very beginning where russell crowe is walking through the fields running his hands through the crops

because that particular kind of crop didn't exist at the time the movie is set

Make sure they never see an episode of Xena. The shock could kill them.
Back to top Go down
Dixie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Dixie

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Knorg wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

a friend of a friend walked out of a screening of gladiator at the very beginning where russell crowe is walking through the fields running his hands through the crops

because that particular kind of crop didn't exist at the time the movie is set

Make sure they never see an episode of Xena. The shock could kill them.
I was fine with all the anachronisms in 'Xena', until Julius Caesar made an appearance.  That pretty much sprained my brain for the rest of the run.
Back to top Go down
Summercorn
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Summercorn

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 14, 2013 6:06 am

I think that most of us can tell the difference between a film or TV show that is just make believe:  Xena, Stargate, Game of Thrones, and real events that pilfer the deaths of real people to claim the credit that isn't theirs, like U-571.

The mention of the plate tectonics thing in Armageddon was because it's right there in the first few seconds of the movie and told me that the scientific fail in the thing was going to be total.  Which it was.  If it matters, the opening shot is of the moon,  when the shot moves to the not-different-from-now Earth, we see parts of the Moon that we see from Earth.  The Moon is facing the wrong way.  After the not-different-from-now Earth, we see the asteroid hit at the right place, just off the coast of Mexico, but the fireball comes up in the centre of South America.  We are told by Charlton Heston that it hit with 'the force of ten thousand nuclear bombs'.  The first nuclear bomb, detonated at White Sands was twenty kilotons.  The biggest was a Soviet weapon.  The Tsar Bomba was a three-stage Teller–Ulam design hydrogen bomb with a yield of 50 to 58 megatons of TNT (210 to 240 PJ). This is equivalent to 1,400 times the combined power of the bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Using either or any bomb as your generic 'nuclear bombs,'  the film underestimated the impact by a staggering amount.

From Wikipedia

Quote :
The impactor had an estimated diameter of 10 km (6.2 mi) and delivered an estimated energy equivalent of 100 teratons of TNT (4.2×1023 J). By contrast, the most powerful man-made explosive device ever detonated, the Tsar Bomba, had a yield of only 57 megatons of TNT (2.4×1017 ),making the Chicxulub impact 2 million times more powerful. Even the most energetic known volcanic eruption, which released an estimated energy equivalent of approximately 240 gigatons of TNT(1.0×1021 ) and created the La Garita Caldera was substantially less powerful than the Chicxulub impact.

This is one shot and two sentences into the movie.  It didn't get better.  The whole not-different-from-now Earth thing was just part of the epic, epic fail.
Back to top Go down
Arcadia Rose

Arcadia Rose

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 22, 2014 1:11 am

Things I learned from Alexander (the Great):

*Olympia, Alexander's mother, is uber hawt
* Alexander was secretly Irish Wink
* Everything was clean, neat, and brightly colored (even though they were in the desert)
* There was absolutely no hot man-love between Alexander and his 'bestie' Hephestion

It IS a pretty film...in spite of everything, though.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2014 8:18 pm

It feels funny to see the Spartans, who historically made themselves into military hardasses because they had to keep the 90% (or so) of their population who had no rights at all under control, screaming about FREEDOM!

It's also extra funny to see them mocking the Athenians, when they were the ones who saved Greece's ass from the Persians ten years before, while the Spartans were too late to do anything - and were ultimately the ones who actually won the damn war AGAIN after Leonidas got himself killed.
Back to top Go down
Cunovendus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cunovendus

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2014 3:49 am

Exodia's Right Leg wrote:
It feels funny to see the Spartans, who historically made themselves into military hardasses because they had to keep the 90% (or so) of their population who had no rights at all under control, screaming about FREEDOM!

Oh, didn't you know? Every battle in the history of humankind has been about freedom! Surely it's historical fact that the Persians were evil dictators who wanted to enslave the world, while Sparta was a free, peace loving state...

...yeah. They often feel the need to make these films black and white so that everybody knows who the good guys are. "See those guys? They're the ones shouting 'Freedom!', that means they're the ones you're supposed to root for. Got it?"  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2014 8:42 am

I've ruined many a person's day by pointing out that the MURICAN Spartans in 300 bear no resemblance to the slave-owning pederasts that existed in reality.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Historical travesties   Historical travesties - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Historical travesties
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2