I have a male character who is 16 and dancing ballet at a pre-professional level. He has been dancing for 8 years in my timeline and he aspires to dance as a career. Thing is, I haven't personally taken a dance class since 1998 and I've never taken a ballet class on the level I want to write about, and I'm a woman. I'm hoping someone here can give me information or resources.
What I know so far:
- Intimately familiar with proper men's dance attire including tights and the dance belt
- Basic positions of the feet, port de bras, turnout, and pulling up
- Basic positions and how they're done such as plié, relevé, tendu
What I need:
- A proper progression of a typical advanced technique class, with special attention on center work and combinations (just a list of techniques/positions are fine)
- A proper progression of a typical men's class, with combinations and suggestions on jumps (again, a list would be greatly loved)
- Information on pointe work for young men (I am aware boys on pointe are extremely atypical)
If you can deliver the above in either a post or a link or a helpful book suggestion, I would be very grateful. I've been working off a few specialized men's dance blogs and general library books about ballet, as well as lots and lots of YouTube videos. The story I'm working on is a sort of slice-of-life and I need to have more background information so that I can write what I feel is a correct and engaging ballet practice for my character.