Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread

Go down 
+41
Happyhooligan2001
Nin
Ghost in the Machine
Jay/Cris
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Hawaiian Shirt
Arcadia Rose
Maximilia
Dixie
ViewSonic
Nihilist
Lurv
Aggie
Summercorn
Sunatic
Lady Anne
EileenK98
John Marston
grmblfjx
spork
Mikey Go WOOGA
TheHedonist
TheIan
Cyberwulf
Kakashifan727
Reepicheep-chan
Malganis
WD40
oracle
theweirdkind
Reidmar
SirDixonDongs
Penguin
rae
lemmingwriter
the asylum
Chris91
I_Lam_Edhellen
Disco Stu
bleachedblackcat
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
milk is the solution to all of life's problems.
One: Milk only contains significant traces of vitamin D when and where it's 'fortified' with it. I.e., in North America. Fish is where it's at.
Two: I'm lactose intolerant. Colbert
Three: Clearly your 'reading' is just for show.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm

I just take pills.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

I'm going to have to go with Mikey here. I can quite happily survive on coffee, milk, and cereal. Maybe not healthily, but happily.

Bad thing: I have still not heard anything about the person I called 911 about. >_O I got very excited when I saw their tumblr had updated, but it was just a queued post.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Aside from wet socks after a long arduous trek, I went to see a robotics practice competition my little brother is involved in.

I haven't been that bored since I watched AI.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 pm

lemmingwriter wrote:
And me, I'm depressed-but-manageable most of the time, except for the fact that I cannot catch a fucking break lately, which, along with medical issues, has run me into the ground.

Yep, a shitty day of teaching happens. A shitty day of teaching after a string of shitty days in general happens to turn into sobbing misery in my department chair's office, with said chair suggesting that maybe I'm a liiiittle overwhelmed and could possibly need a break.

But hell, depressed grad student. Next we'll find out that water is wet. At least where my department is concerned, anyway.
Have you tried going over to the counseling center?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 8:32 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

One: Milk only contains significant traces of vitamin D when and where it's 'fortified' with it. I.e., in North America. Fish is where it's at.

1.) Fine, fish is milk in solid form. THE SOLUTION TO ALL OF LIFE'S PROBLEMS

Except for Catfish. Catfish is the worst food ever created. It's not even really food, it's genetic garbage that only rednecks are stupid enough to eat.

2a.) There are ways around that. Something about drops of stuff that you can put in the milk to make it okay to drink.
2b.) Don't reproduce. I already have enough people complaining about not being big and strong and not drinking whole milk because "BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I'M A FAILURE AS A HUMAN ON A FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL" without you adding more.

3.) Bitches love a guy who can read. Cool
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

I'M A FAILURE AS A HUMAN ON A FUNDAMENTAL LEVEL" without you adding more.

At least do it right. Lactose intolerance is the default setting for humans. They aren't failures.

We're just more ~evolved~

My mutant power is to eat ALL the cheese
Back to top Go down
Mr.Doobie
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Mr.Doobie

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
I just take pills.

When they're no fun they're called VITAMINS.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Reepicheep-chan wrote:
I just take pills.

When they're no fun they're called VITAMINS.

Oh right, sorry.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 am

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
I just take pills.
So do I, but it gets old after a while. At some point you still start avoiding certain foods and start to appreciate things you know you don't have to worry about.

rae wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

At least do it right. Lactose intolerance is the default setting for humans. They aren't failures.

While this is correct, intolerance to certain foods (lactose, gluten, etc) can be brought on by other things going wrong in your system, such as consistently high stress levels, or untreated allergies. Considering I've had some unidentified allergy for as long as I can remember, and my LI only started maybe four or five years ago, this may well be some after-effect of something else.
Back to top Go down
lemmingwriter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 1:51 am

Lady Anne wrote:
lemmingwriter wrote:
And me, I'm depressed-but-manageable most of the time, except for the fact that I cannot catch a fucking break lately, which, along with medical issues, has run me into the ground.

Yep, a shitty day of teaching happens. A shitty day of teaching after a string of shitty days in general happens to turn into sobbing misery in my department chair's office, with said chair suggesting that maybe I'm a liiiittle overwhelmed and could possibly need a break.

But hell, depressed grad student. Next we'll find out that water is wet. At least where my department is concerned, anyway.
Have you tried going over to the counseling center?

I haven't, just because they're really not particularly helpful. I've been over there before; they're good with the usual stuff, but they've been less than useful in regard to cancer survivor topics (right now, the disability stuff is causing a significant part of my problems). That, and they're a little pushy about pills, but I'm really trying to avoid more medication right now.

I may have to go over there, though, if my department chair thinks I'm still not functioning well.
Back to top Go down
Sunatic

Sunatic

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 am

Dislocated knee. Well, it's been a whole decade since that last happened, about time, amirite? Also it happened right before I was about to make breakfast. I left for the doctor right away, so no breakfast. Now I'm finally home and fucking ravenous, hurry up eggs.

If I'm ever offered the chance to robotize some part of me, it's the legs. They've been nothing but trouble my whole life.

Last edited by Sunatic on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typoes, hands shaking too much.)
Back to top Go down
http://nerdywitches.net
Reidmar
Reidmar

Location : A string of Code in the Interwebz( IF living = true input ragequit)

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:44 am

Sorry, just had this moment where Doob turned into Hank Hill and started saying "I sell vitamens and vitamen related accessories"
Back to top Go down
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
I_Lam_Edhellen

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 4:53 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Reepicheep-chan wrote:
I just take pills.
So do I, but it gets old after a while. At some point you still start avoiding certain foods and start to appreciate things you know you don't have to worry about.
I've got Lactose Intolerance, and it's pretty awful sometimes. So much of Western food is cow-milk based that I pretty much have to stay away from it all. Gravy, salad-dressing, soup, mashed potatoes, anything with the word "creamy" in it. I'm so sensitive to milk that the slightest bit can flatten me, and I somehow managed to get the worst symptoms too. I get dizzy, light-headed, nauseous, sharp pain in my stomach... I've almost passed out a few times. Sometimes it feels like I've been paralyzed, because I can't move for a while. I once ate a spoonful of cream with a slice of pie and ended up collapsed on the couch for an hour, barely able to speak. It scared my poor Nonna. I can take a mouthful of milk pills and it won't get rid of all the symptoms.

grmblfjx wrote:
rae wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

While this is correct, intolerance to certain foods (lactose, gluten, etc) can be brought on by other things going wrong in your system, such as consistently high stress levels, or untreated allergies. Considering I've had some unidentified allergy for as long as I can remember, and my LI only started maybe four or five years ago, this may well be some after-effect of something else.
That is correct. More specifically, everyone is Lactose Intolerant to a degree. It has to do with your ability to produce an enzyme that breaks down milk. If you drink more milk than your body can produce the enzyme for, then you'll feel the effects. For most people, after about 4 or 5 years old, your ability to drink milk starts to decrease. It normally isn't noticeable until your twenties, and just goes downhill from there.

I'm an extremely lucky person that started out barely able to handle milk (if my mom drank milk, then breast-fed me, I'd get sick.) and it's only gotten worse. Stupid Western cooking and the need to put milk, cheese, and cream in flipping EVERYTHING. It's to the point where if I go to a western food restaurant I have to interrogate the waitress (and cook) to make sure there isn't any milk in the food I order. You'd be amazed at how many people don't know that Mayonnaise isn't made with milk.

So, yeah, it sucks. My sympathies, fellow LI peoples in the Western world.

Oh yeah, I originally came here to whine about something else. Just went 44 hours without sleeping. Slept only 6 hours after that. The insomnia is getting way out of hand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 5:35 pm

Caught my toe in a gap between the mats at jujutsu tonight. It's really throbbing now.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 pm

At least you can eat the alternatives. Me, I can't even stomach the soy or almond milk because I am allergic to those, too. Gluten free bread? Nope, made with almond flour and coconut oil. I can't eat either of those unless I want to be numb from the neck up and so swollen I can't move for about five hours.

And I found most of this out the hard way. My parents always wondered why I was always sick to the point of puking for days. It wasn't until I was already an adult that they figured out why.

And don't get me started on skin care, make up and laundry detergent. Anything with zinc oxide in it makes my skin inflamed.

Oh, and most artificial sweeteners are off the table, too. A few years ago I had a reaction to aspartame so bad that I could not walk for three months. Not a single step for three months. I was in so much pain I could barely sleep and I had finished off a 12 pack of Diet Cokes in about a week. That was all it took to nearly kill me.

If anyone wants to make fun of food allergies, be my guest. I just hope you never have to deal with what we do on a daily basis.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Braigwen wrote:
At least you can eat the alternatives. Me, I can't even stomach the soy or almond milk because I am allergic to those, too. Gluten free bread? Nope, made with almond flour and coconut oil. I can't eat either of those unless I want to be numb from the neck up and so swollen I can't move for about five hours.

And I found most of this out the hard way. My parents always wondered why I was always sick to the point of puking for days. It wasn't until I was already an adult that they figured out why.

And don't get me started on skin care, make up and laundry detergent. Anything with zinc oxide in it makes my skin inflamed.

Oh, and most artificial sweeteners are off the table, too. A few years ago I had a reaction to aspartame so bad that I could not walk for three months. Not a single step for three months. I was in so much pain I could barely sleep and I had finished off a 12 pack of Diet Cokes in about a week. That was all it took to nearly kill me.

If anyone wants to make fun of food allergies, be my guest. I just hope you never have to deal with what we do on a daily basis.

How did you get so fat when you're allergic to food? Colbert
Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 am

I can't eat pizza anymore because last time, I ate a couple pieces and fell asleep, only to wake up unable to inhale or exhale. It causes acid reflux so bad that this happens. I'm not fat. I just have a genetic history of problems like this, and I'm scared if I eat too much meat and have too much untreated mental illness (depression, anxiety) that ill be one of the many to panic attack, then die of multiple heart attacks.

So it's why I try to be a vegan and make my own food. There's a way to ghetto rig veganism without going to whole foods. Oatmeal, beans, potatoes, oranges, seasonal fruits and vegetables.

I'm mildly lactose intolerant but right now only at the level where drinking about 4oz will make me sick. Cheese, about the same dealy. But I generally don't cook with it, unless its lasagna or an enchilada, and even then it's a big deal. Shit fucks me up worse than a pabst session.

Back to top Go down
Disco Stu
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Disco Stu

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 1:21 am

I've gone without breathing for almost two minutes before. I have an inhaler for this but one of these days, I may either be dead or on daily Omeprazole tablets. BUT thankfully it's solved by staying away from pizza and other assorted similar crap. For now.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 4:17 am

I_Lam_Edhellen wrote:
I once ate a spoonful of cream with a slice of pie and ended up collapsed on the couch for an hour, barely able to speak. It scared my poor Nonna. I can take a mouthful of milk pills and it won't get rid of all the symptoms.
Jesus, are you sure that's actually lactose intolerance and not flat out an allergy?

Quote :
Stupid Western cooking and the need to put milk, cheese, and cream in flipping EVERYTHING.
There is lactose in my birth control pills. Dry
Back to top Go down
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
I_Lam_Edhellen

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 5:54 am

grmblfjx wrote:
I_Lam_Edhellen wrote:
I once ate a spoonful of cream with a slice of pie and ended up collapsed on the couch for an hour, barely able to speak. It scared my poor Nonna. I can take a mouthful of milk pills and it won't get rid of all the symptoms.
Jesus, are you sure that's actually lactose intolerance and not flat out an allergy?
It might be a bit of both. It's hard to tell where one would end and the other begin.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 7:43 am

My uncle's wife is severely allergic to dairy products. She neglected to tell my grandmother that when they came to dinner, and so she wasn't able to eat anything but plain salad and ham. My grandmother felt terrible--if she'd known, she would have cooked a meal her daughter-in-law could eat.

My brother-in-law was born lactose intolerant--he couldn't even digest his mother's milk. He lost three pounds (a great deal for a newborn) before he was put on a type of prescription formula that was pre-digested. Fortunately, he outgrew it.

My mother's first fiance was lactose intolerant at birth, and at that time a lot of the alternative formulas hadn't yet been developed (mid-1940's). His parents fed him beer instead of milk, which possibly explains a whole lot about why my mother remembers him as such a strange person.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 4:23 pm

OK just for the record I was talking about vitamin D pills. I am sorry you guys have shitty allergies and food intolerances though, that really sucks.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Braigwen wrote:

I am going to assume you are intelligent enough to look up the why on your own and continue to ignore you.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 pm

Braigwen wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Braigwen wrote:

I am going to assume you are intelligent enough to look up the why on your own and continue to ignore you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread   The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Something Bad Happened to Me Today Thread
Page 4 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next