Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The badfic challenge: help, advice and support

Go down 
+5
Braigwen
Fitchsticks
Fairlight
Sloth
ZoZo
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

The badfic challenge: help, advice and support Empty
PostSubject: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 10:08 am

In other words, a thread for helping your fics suck more. I'm sure all of us have some questions on how to make our fics worse.

Mine is incredibly convoluted and features Anorexic!Bulimic!Rose (because anorexia and bulimia are the same thing, of course Rolling Eyes ), Secretly!Pregnant!Ianto, who will probably come out to Jack around chapter three. Their Sue-baby is somehow special and must therefore be sent into hiding.

I'm thinking of incorporating the Conniving Ex trope into the fic by having the Sue-baby sent to live with either Gwen or River Song, either of whom will be secretly evil. So my question is, which of these characters do the fanbrats hate more? Which of these characters would they prefer to see inexplicably turned into a moustache-twirling villain? Personally, I'm leaning towards River as that can be an extra source of ANGST for Rose. Also, would it be too much to have Rose cutting, too?
Back to top Go down
Sloth
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sloth

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 10:55 am

I'm not familiar with this fandom, but...

Quote :
would it be too much to have Rose cutting, too?

There's no such thing as 'too much'. As long as the writing is half-way mediocre they'll eat it up.
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:42 pm

ZoZo wrote:
I'm thinking of incorporating the Conniving Ex trope into the fic by having the Sue-baby sent to live with either Gwen or River Song, either of whom will be secretly evil. So my question is, which of these characters do the fanbrats hate more?
I'm not really sure how people feel about Gwen but no one seemed to like River even though she was only in two episodes.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Fairlight wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
I'm thinking of incorporating the Conniving Ex trope into the fic by having the Sue-baby sent to live with either Gwen or River Song, either of whom will be secretly evil. So my question is, which of these characters do the fanbrats hate more?
I'm not really sure how people feel about Gwen but no one seemed to like River even though she was only in two episodes.
I know, poor love.

Oh god... maybe it could even be Reinette. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Fitchsticks
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Fitchsticks

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Fairlight wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
I for one hated River *whistles happily* She was just so sort of... smug. Like 'Yeah, I've totally had a timelord.' And her name was River Song. River. Song.
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Should a sparkly vampire Sue be called Crysta Ebony Moonshine, or is that too much of a parody?
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 5:46 pm

And now, here is a snipit from the first chapter of my crapfic:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 6:06 pm

Fairlight wrote:
Should a sparkly vampire Sue be called Crysta Ebony Moonshine, or is that too much of a parody?
I don't know, most Sue names are so bad that they're almost parodies of themselves. I've decided that Ianto and Jack are calling their assbaby Megane Rose.

Mythandariel, that is impressively terrible. You seem to have got fanbrat style really well.
Back to top Go down
Sloth
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sloth

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:40 am

Okay, I'm not allowed to post this until 5:54 PM, so I'll just post the opening here:

Spoiler:

I was going for incredibly overblow Paolini-style purple prose... But I feel as if it might be a little TOO purple. D'ya think it'll be obvious it's a trollfic?
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 3:26 am

Sloth wrote:
I was going for incredibly overblow Paolini-style purple prose... But I feel as if it might be a little TOO purple. D'ya think it'll be obvious it's a trollfic?
Not at all. I'm sure I've seen worse!
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:09 am

Ok. The first chapter is really nothing special. The SECOND chapter is the massive rape scene. The last chapter will be the healing sexors which will not only heal Buffy of her emotional scars BUT ALSO give Spike back his soul. I have two other chapters to fill. >< One will probably be a huge wangst chapter... but I need some advice on how to make them horrible. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 9:19 am

Maximilia wrote:
Ok. The first chapter is really nothing special. The SECOND chapter is the massive rape scene. The last chapter will be the healing sexors which will not only heal Buffy of her emotional scars BUT ALSO give Spike back his soul. I have two other chapters to fill. >< One will probably be a huge wangst chapter... but I need some advice on how to make them horrible. Any suggestions?
Why not stick in a truly horrible diary entry as one chapter? Lazy writing and you get to stick in another trope as a bonus!
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 5:37 pm

So, I'm writing an HP fic and I was wondering if our British contingent had any advice on which horrible, grating mischaracterizations of their culture(s) I should definitely throw in? I'm already not even bothering to try for avoiding American spelling or phrases. Any other thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 6:33 pm

Tea. Lots of tea, all the fucking time. Apparently we Brits just love tea. Oh, and say bloody every other bloody word.
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 8:37 am

ZoZo wrote:
Tea. Lots of tea, all the fucking time. Apparently we Brits just love tea. Oh, and say bloody every other bloody word.
And call each other "mate" or "love" all the bloody time, except when we're bloody well upset and then we call each other bloody gits and sodding wankers. The badfic challenge: help, advice and support 611762
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 9:35 am

Don't forget Authors Notes mid-chapter. If there's any decent mood building up AT ALL, A/Ns will crush it, rubbing its face into a pile of gigantic turds.

And hey, why not involve song lyrics! I mean, everybody loves MUSIC, so putting in a bunch of song lyrics while your character dances naked can only make your fic BETTER, right?

As for names... why not show your originality by basing them off another character in another fandom you like?
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am

Right, what are the kids listening to these days? I'm considering incorporating some angsty song lyrics into my badfic somewhere, but I am so completely out of touch with pop culture that I have no idea what songs a fourteen year old would find REALLY FUCKING SAD.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 3:32 am

I'm a little worried that my badfic is a tad too over-the-top and would get recognised as trollfic. I was wondering if I could have someone give it a look-see and tell me if you think it's the kind of garbage that a fanbrat would write. Spoiler tagged to prevent people from finding it on Google and to save your eyes.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 5:26 am

Dr Prof, that is absolutely brilliant! By brilliant, I mean it sucks, but it sucks in exactly the right way. I don't think that would get spotted as trollfic.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 5:30 am

Really? I thought the concept alone was bad (cutter + anorexic + abused Rose + vampire) but that maybe I'd harped on a little too much about the blood rain or switched tenses too many times or forgot to capitalize Rose or the Doctor's name too many times. I wrote it while watching TV to add the badness that comes with distraction. Okay, well, I'll take your compliment at face value and call it just bad enough (though Raine said that I could make it worse and still have people not call it a trollfic).

Unfortunately, I can't post it until later today because my account still hasn't been validated. : /
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The badfic challenge: help, advice and support   The badfic challenge: help, advice and support Empty

Back to top Go down

The badfic challenge: help, advice and support
Page 1 of 1