Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)

Go down 
+34
Lembech
unskilled78
Delcat
Mr.Doobie
Hot Cancer
Exodia's Right Leg
TheHermit
kleine_kat
Thanos6
Snoof
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Wolf
Penguin
gaijinguy
myeerah
Mikey Go WOOGA
Manny
Somath Cegem
Animir
AngryRobotsInc
Kitbug
Azraelswing
LeeLee
KGarrett
anangrychocobo
Mae Bedlam
Aggie
Notomys mordax
Toe Tap
Miss Prince
Mafiosa
the asylum
Electron Blue
Lysander
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) Empty
PostSubject: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 4:24 pm

I'll start by nominating the boss that I'm fighting right fucking now:
Spoiler:

from Prototype.

You fight her in the middle of a three-way battle in Times Square between you, the army, and hundreds her mutants. In order to damage her, you first have to cripple her with your ultimate attacks.

In order to use those attacks, you have to have FULL HEALTH. In the middle of this hugemongous shitstorm, with mutants and missiles flying everywhere. Did I mention that the best way to recover your health is to kill the giant enemies that can combo you? They come in packs, and can all combo you at once. And, they're really only vulnerable after doing their combo.

So, when you get enough health to attack her, you have to target one of her parts. If you're too far, then you'll miss, and lose your health, and have to go recharge again. If you're too close, she'll drop a nuclear fucking explosion on your face, which is insta-kill if you don't have armor on.

To use the attack, you have to charge for a few seconds. Since I have only one attack that can make the distance, I have to hold still while charging. I have to do this with zero cover, in the middle of her army, while she throws shit at me and the army's tanks unload in my ass.

And you have to do this about EIGHT TIMES just to make her vulnerable for a short while, where you can attack her while her mutants run interference.

Who ever heard of a boss that requires you to be at full health for most of the battle?
Back to top Go down
Electron Blue
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Electron Blue

PostSubject: Re: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 9:22 am

Actually, Lysander, Drop Attacks are the most useful thing during that encounter, especially Bulletdive. They do tons of damage at decent range and don't require you to hang around ground level for a long time. And you can do this over and over. Later, the military shows up, so you can hijack their vehicles as well to damage her.

As far as boss fights that sucked, Quake 4 takes the fucking cake. The Strydent processing creature takes all of two button presses to kill, like they were tryingto replicate the Tentacle fight from Half-Life but forgot the 'challenge' aspect. The Makron is weak and dull to fight, mostly circle strafing, and the Nexus is just stupid, a room filled with annoying enemies and a shield around it, and then you just circle-strafe and shoot the shit out of it because it doesn't attack. Pretty fucking boring.

Crysis, both original and Warhead, had piss-easy final bosses because they gave you a superweapon to fight it with, ruining the entire point.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 am

If I may, Ashera from FE10. Yeah, you thought Deghinsea was a bitch to fight with his 120 HP and OP attack, but at least he had a type weakness. Ashera? 120 HP and super-powered attack all the same but with no weakness at all. And oh yeah, once you finally kill her, guess what she does? RESSSURECT. YOU HAVE TO KILL HER ALL OVER AGAIN.

It's a miracle I made it out without any of my guys dying.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:02 am

Final Fantasy's 18 hour boss fight.
Back to top Go down
the asylum
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
the asylum

PostSubject: Re: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:09 am

Another one of my "favorites" is the skeleton gunship from Super C. Yeah Contra games are all hard as shit but this boss really takes it. Not only is the thing going from side to side as it divebombs you, but it's dropping homing mines and ankle-biting skulls all over the damn place. And you gotta hit that ONE SPOT right in the middle.

If you lost the Spread gun before or during the boss fight, you may as well just reset your game.

ETA: Of course I've beaten it with just the pea-shooter but that's because I am a turbonerd.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 11:35 am

Electron Blue wrote:
Actually, Lysander, Drop Attacks are the most useful thing during that encounter, especially Bulletdive.

I honestly wouldn't know. The above is simply what I could find out through experimentation. The game gives you zero indication of what you should be doing.

Also, the final boss of this game was a lot easier than the level right before it. You go from fighting a literal army, with an entrenched tank battalion and infinitely respawning supersoldiers, to fighting a single guy, and the guy is weak to missiles, and you're on the deck of an aircraft carrier.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 12:15 pm

the asylum wrote:
If I may, Ashera from FE10. Yeah, you thought Deghinsea was a bitch to fight with his 120 HP and OP attack, but at least he had a type weakness. Ashera? 120 HP and super-powered attack all the same but with no weakness at all. And oh yeah, once you finally kill her, guess what she does? RESSSURECT. YOU HAVE TO KILL HER ALL OVER AGAIN.

It's a miracle I made it out without any of my guys dying.

It's been a while, but I thought she only resurrected if you killed her with someone other than Ike. Knowing that Ike has to deal the finishing blow beforehand will likely save everyone a lot of grief.

I didn't have nearly as much trouble with her as I did with the dragons. Damn dragons. I actually thought she was fairly easy compared to some of the shit we'd been through.
Back to top Go down
Toe Tap

Toe Tap

PostSubject: Re: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Lysander wrote:
Electron Blue wrote:
Actually, Lysander, Drop Attacks are the most useful thing during that encounter, especially Bulletdive.

I honestly wouldn't know. The above is simply what I could find out through experimentation. The game gives you zero indication of what you should be doing.

Also, the final boss of this game was a lot easier than the level right before it. You go from fighting a literal army, with an entrenched tank battalion and infinitely respawning supersoldiers, to fighting a single guy, and the guy is weak to missiles, and you're on the deck of an aircraft carrier.

I elbow dropped Elizabeth to get her down. Before that I started doing that I was dying so much that I almost put the game down for a month. And I totally agree with you about the final boss and the level before that. I finished fighting him and sat there for a minute going "That was it? I died ten times shutting down those damn anti-virus things and I kill him in one go?" It just didn't make sense to me. I expected the final boss fight to be like Elizabeth, not like the first hunter battle.

The Wesker/Jill fight in Resident Evil 5 on professional. I was only doing this to get the achievement, and my dad (who is pretty good at the game and loves it) decided to help me out since the AI is utterly incompetent on pro. We died maybe 3 times on the level getting up to the bosses. Then the bosses... One hit kills from Wesker, a sniper that you cannot kill who is deadly accurate and even with a bulletproof vest brings you down to Dying in only a few hits, and that's only the first half of the fight. The second half you have to watch out for Jill's slide tackle that will more or less kill you in one hit, the two hits and you die gun, oh, and you can't kill her because she's the partner of one of the main characters.

My dad and I died 62 times during this boss fight. I almost cried when we finally beat it, and we both developed an aversion to quick time events when fighting Jill.
Back to top Go down
Notomys mordax

Notomys mordax

PostSubject: Re: The Boss Fight Thread (Continued)   The Boss Fight Thread (Continued) EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Let's get old school on this. Modern bosses don't hold up against the bosses in older games.

Exhibit A