Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hurricane Irene

Go down 
+25
KGarrett
rae
TheIan
The Unoriginal
Nihilist
Rageful Jewel
WD40
Howithurts
TheHedonist
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
EileenK98
Sparrow
grmblfjx
William Shakespeare
Jesus.
Mr.Doobie
Lapin
Miss Misery
Penguin
Mikey Go WOOGA
Drabbler
Lady Anne
the asylum
bleachedblackcat
Cactus Wren
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 3:39 pm

We should give them their own thread and let them duke it out.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 4:36 pm

It was pretty anticlimactic here too, though I know the Hudson flooded. Some rain and a couple power outages, that was really it for me.
Back to top Go down
TheIan
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheIan

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Mr.Doobie wrote:
Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:
Wow, America makes a calamity of everything.

Christ, you should have seen yourselves wetting yourselves over this a few days ago! You were bitching about batteries and bottled water like you were all gonna die tomorrow.

You're all pathetic!

Ooooooooo, Harley's gettin' feisty.
Careful, Doob, Harley's proven to be rabid when she gets riled up.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm glad it didn't turn out as bad as it was predicted (still, 18 people dead is a terrible thing). I noticed there's been a lot of talk about how the precautions were overkill and it was a waste of government money. What's wrong with them? There's nothing bad about being Batman-level prepared in case something happened. It's just a good thing that nothing bad did.
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 12:55 am

34 dead as of this report.

Quote :
New York - 8
New Jersey - 7
North Carolina - 6
Pennsylvania - 5
Virginia - 4
Vermont - 3
Connecticut - 2
Delaware - 2
Maryland - 2
Florida - 2
Massachusetts - 1
New Hampshire - 1

Authorities are trying to determine whether an additional death reported in New York is connected to the storm.
Back to top Go down
WD40
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
WD40

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:18 am

Raine wrote:
I'm glad it didn't turn out as bad as it was predicted (still, 18 people dead is a terrible thing). I noticed there's been a lot of talk about how the precautions were overkill and it was a waste of government money. What's wrong with them? There's nothing bad about being Batman-level prepared in case something happened. It's just a good thing that nothing bad did.
I remember that argument. I think the last time I saw it was in relation to swine flu...

I mean, it's not as though all those precautions might have possibly helped prevent any injuries, deaths or damage, right? Gawd, why do we have them? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, everyone knows all that if you want to avoid earthquakes and hurricanes what you need to do is stop those gay people marrying.

Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:00 am

Raine wrote:
I noticed there's been a lot of talk about how the precautions were overkill and it was a waste of government money. What's wrong with them? There's nothing bad about being Batman-level prepared in case something happened.
Yeah, too bad our government was not as prepared when all those black people were the ones in danger of being flooded out.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:20 am

I don't know, D.C. was hella prepared and D.C. is 51% minority. Well, D.C. is also hella paranoid about every single thing. Especially things involving nature.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:41 am

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
Raine wrote:
I noticed there's been a lot of talk about how the precautions were overkill and it was a waste of government money. What's wrong with them? There's nothing bad about being Batman-level prepared in case something happened.

Yeah, too bad our government was not as prepared when all those black people were the ones in danger of being flooded out.

Exactly. There are no black people in DC or New York or New Jersey.
Back to top Go down
Miss Misery
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Miss Misery

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Exactly. There are no black people in DC or New York or New Jersey.

Oh, Mikey, you're such a nut. Hurricane Irene - Page 3 961878
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 10:52 am

EileenK98 wrote:
We should give them their own thread and let them duke it out.

"Harley vs. Penguin, live only on pay-per-view!" Hurricane Irene - Page 3 611762
Back to top Go down
Cactus Wren
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cactus Wren

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 pm

WD40 wrote:
Raine wrote:
I remember that argument. I think the last time I saw it was in relation to swine flu...

I mean, it's not as though all those precautions might have possibly helped prevent any injuries, deaths or damage, right? Gawd, why do we have them? Rolling Eyes

Amanda Marcotte had a great response to the "overkill" complaints:
Pandagon wrote:
Mayor Bloomberg evacuated to a Cat 1 hurricane. And until literally a few hours before it hit, Irene was a Cat 1 hurricane heading for New York City. His response was exactly what it should have been: no more, no less. People who weren't in immediate danger weren't evacuated unnecesssarily. But people who were in danger were. Balancing the need not to displace people unnecessarily with the need to keep people from drowning to death isn't an easy thing to do, and one should err on the side of caution. With what looked like a 50/50 chance of a Cat 1 hitting the city, Bloomberg evacuated the Cat 1 areas. It was the correct decision. That we got lucky doesn't change this.

I get why assholes enjoy screaming "overreaction". It makes you feel superior, like somehow you have magical powers and just know better than scientists and experts that Irene was absolutely not going to be any worse than it was. But your pleasure at feeling like you magically knew before what you know now is toxic. It feeds the narrative Republicans are trying to shape up, that we don't actually need government to prepare for extreme weather events like hurricanes. But I would argue Republicans got their chance to try that theory out, and Katrina demonstrated that they are completely fucking wrong. Obviously, Irene wasn't as bad as Katrina. But the problem with Katrina was that the conservative philosophy was in play---which is to assume the best possible outcome---and the worst happened. The liberal solution, to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, was in play here, and the result is that the death toll and damage was minimal. And if the storm had been worse, it would have still been minimal because we were prepared.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 5:49 pm

So hey, the Red Cross called. They are desperate for blood, plasma, and platelet donation right now. The supply was really messed up by the earthquake/storm, and they need to replenish. Remember that blood donations are not just for injuries, some people need it for chronic medical conditions. (Especially platelets) Anyone who can donate, please do. Even if you can just toss them $5, they'll be grateful.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 10:28 am

Urgh, I want to Lapin. Every time I give blood I have a worse reaction to it, and no amount of hydration seems to help >.< And no, that is not me making excuses, I am actually bummed out because I want to give blood. I only need one more donation to make a gallon!! IDK, I may do it anyway, if my iron is high enough for them to accept.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Irene   Hurricane Irene - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Irene
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3