Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

It's the end of the "World" as we know it....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... Empty
PostSubject: It's the end of the "World" as we know it....   It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 11:26 am

For those of you who haven't heard about it already, the infamous London tabloid "News Of The World" is shutting down for good next Sunday after 168 years. Apparently that phone hacking business was too much for even Fleet Street to take.

Further details(and some on-the-spot reactions) courtesy of Reuters:

Quote :
(Reuters) - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation will close its tabloid News of the World after this Sunday's edition, as a result of an escalating phone hacking scandal, James Murdoch said on Thursday.

Following are reactions to the news:

ZAC GOLDSMITH, MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT, GOVERNING CONSERVATIVE PARTY

"It's got to be a good day for Britain," he told BBC Radio. "I think the News of the World as an organization is toxic on almost every level. I think the country after Sunday will be a better place. I think it's an organization which has corrupted our political system, made it impossible for people to have faith in our police."

STEVE HEWLETT, MEDIA CONSULTANT

"It's very big and unexpected. But I'm not sure it's going to solve the problem while the chief executive and ex-editor of the paper in some of its darkest days is still the chief executive of the company."

CHARLIE BECKETT, FOUNDING DIRECTOR, POLIS THINK TANK AT THE LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS

"This is one of the most remarkable public relations moves of modern times. To close a massive profit-making business because it has become a reputational black hole is both bold and a gamble.

"It seems that News Corp have finally caught up with the public mood and are trying to get a grip on the narrative of this crisis. Yes, the advertising boycott meant that it would be worth less but no-one really thought that would be permanent.

"This is obviously a drastic attempt to show real contrition and clear the ethical decks. Of course, that's scant consolation to anyone working there, but we won't be surprised to see a Sunday Sun rise at some point."

EDIT: The Sun also has quite a bit to say on the matter:

Quote :
THE News of the World has been closed down, it was sensationally announced today.

This Sunday's edition will be the last ever after private eyes hired by the paper were accused of hacking thousands of phones including those of murder victims and the relatives of dead war heroes.

News International — which owns the tabloid — announced the decision to close after 168 years describing the allegations as "inhuman" and as having "no place in our Company".

News International chairman James Murdoch revealed the news to shocked staff at the papers' offices in London this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Quijotesca
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Quijotesca

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the "World" as we know it....   It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 12:07 pm

This is less saddening than when Weekly World News stopped printing. Razz
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the "World" as we know it....   It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Well, Weekly World News was only invented to keep the National Enquirer's old black & white printing press from going to waste. It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... 961878
Back to top Go down
CaptainMcNeil
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
CaptainMcNeil

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the "World" as we know it....   It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Was Weekly Word News the one that said aliens were invading every week? I can vaguely remember it.
Back to top Go down
Braigwen
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Why yes, I am a Rocket Scientist!
Braigwen

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the "World" as we know it....   It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 5:33 pm

CaptainMcNeil wrote:
Was Weekly Word News the one that said aliens were invading every week? I can vaguely remember it.

Aliens were invading with Bat Boy sightings and Angels being shot by duck hunters with barely two brain cells to rub together, the Kennedy assassin was always one step ahead of the authorities who had no idea they were even chasing him and Elvis was leading the whole thing with Jesus in tow because of the sheer awesome of a Rhinestone Apocalypse.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the "World" as we know it....   It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... EmptyThu Jul 07, 2011 6:05 pm

...I loved Weekly World News. It was funny.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's the end of the "World" as we know it....   It's the end of the "World" as we know it.... Empty

Back to top Go down

It's the end of the "World" as we know it....
Page 1 of 1