Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords

Go down 
+2
Psy-4
Aggie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Aggie
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Aggie

Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords Empty
PostSubject: Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords   Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 10:24 pm

Link

Quote :
The anonymous viewer emailed the news station recently to express concern with a component of the city's background check policy, which states that to be considered for a job applicants must provide log-in information and passwords for social network sites in which they participate.

Quote :
"Please list any and all, current personal or business websites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.," the City form states. There are then three lines where applicants can list the Web sites, their user names and log-in information and their passwords.

Does this or does this not seem like they're grossly exceeding their authority in what kind of information they can request from job applicants here?

Quote :
"So, we have positions ranging from fire and police, which require people of high integrity for those positions, all the way down to the lifeguards and the folks that work in city hall here. So we do those types of investigations to make sure the people that we hire have the highest moral character and are a good fit for the City," Sullivan said.

On the one hand I can kind of, sort of see why they're asking for the social network names but the passwords as well? Fuck that.

Quote :
Another concern the applicant raised was that by providing the City with a Facebook user name and password the City not only has access to the applicant's page but also to the pages belonging to all of the applicant's Facebook "friends."

Excellent point made. Their response?

Quote :
"You know, I can understand that concern. One thing that's important for folks to understand about what we look for is none of the things that the federal constitution lists as protected things, we don't use those. We're not putting out this broad brush stroke of trying to find out all kinds of information about the person that we're not able to use or shouldn't use in the hiring process," Sullivan said.

Naturally there has never, ever been an instance of where applications and/or information gleaned from them has gotten lost. Never ever, nope, not once. :redangry:
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords   Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 11:10 pm

And the password requirement is dropped. That was fast. Happy ending. Not. Because I was right and they are trying to kill internet anonymity already.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords   Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Imagine if the applicant was on something like the SA forums or even here. That would suck. I'm glad it cleared up, though.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords   Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords EmptySun Jun 21, 2009 11:50 pm

So... How would anyone even know you're actually on those sites? How could anyone even prove you're not listing all the places you trawl on the internet?

Pretty pointless really. I'd leave it blank.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords   Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 3:35 am

Verandering wrote:
So... How would anyone even know you're actually on those sites? How could anyone even prove you're not listing all the places you trawl on the internet?

Pretty pointless really. I'd leave it blank.
I was thinking that too; I can only conclude that if they stumble across your drunken Facebook pictures at a later date, they have an excuse to fire you.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords   Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 5:26 am

This is why I don't use pictures of myself on Facebook or MySpace. I use the same pic as I have for my avatar here. My lj userpic is of Peyton and Tony. My journalfen userpic is a Colts logo.
And I still get guys hitting on me on MySpace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords   Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords Empty

Back to top Go down

Want a job? Please give us your name, address, SSN and all of your passwords
Page 1 of 1