Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stay classy, Japan

Go down 
+8
grmblfjx
Verandering
I_Lam_Edhellen
Mikey Go WOOGA
TheHermit
XLT-100852.0
Lapin
Raine
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

Stay classy, Japan  Empty
PostSubject: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:37 am

Full story here. - Link is possibly NSFW since some of the ads can be a little iffy.

Quote :
The classmates who drove a 12-year-old girl to hang herself with the scarf she knitted as a gift for her mother with their bullying attended her funeral and delivered a tearful eulogy, but made no mention of the cause of her death.

120 people attended the funeral of Akiko Uemura, including her entire class of 38 – the very class which drove her to suicide by excluding her and saying her Filipino mother was a “gorilla” and so was she.

The child selected as class representative gave a tearful address – “I’ll never forget the time we spent together since you transferred in.” His address pointedly avoided mentioning the cause of her death – “It’s very sad when someone suddenly passes away. I hope she rests in peace.”

The principal repeated his innocent platitudes: “We put you through an ordeal at school. I swear to Akiko that this will never happen again.”

Her father was exceptionally gracious where the children were concerned, telling her “You were all alone at school, but today everybody came for you.” He was less restrained when addressing the teachers – he angrily told them “Please give me back my daughter!”

On the full story there's some comments they found on 2ch about it. They use a lot nicer language than what I'm sure many other people would about this. I'm torn between feeling devastated for the girl and her family, and just wishing someone would actually yell at those kids for what they did. The girl's father is possibly one of the most forgiving guys on the planet, given that he didn't take it out on the kids directly like he could have (it must have been really hard to deal with seeing the class there).

Try not to follow the links below the story either unless you want your brain to break from rage.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:48 am

I can definitely understand why he was more angry with the teachers. Twelve-year-olds are mostly just stupid kids who do what everyone else is doing. The teachers, on the other hand, are adults and should have acted like adults by putting a stop to this bullying. The kids were the ones being awful little monsters, but the teachers were the ones who should have stopped them.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:54 am

Lapin wrote:
I can definitely understand why he was more angry with the teachers. Twelve-year-olds are mostly just stupid kids who do what everyone else is doing. The teachers, on the other hand, are adults and should have acted like adults by putting a stop to this bullying. The kids were the ones being awful little monsters, but the teachers were the ones who should have stopped them.

There are so many problems with Japan's education system that's it's almost horrifying. Bullying is simply accepted, teachers ignore it, and if anything ever does happen to do with a school, the staff denies anything to do with it. It's a terribly broken system, and from here you can sorta see why suicide is the leading cause of death amongst young people there.
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:30 am

Raine wrote:
There are so many problems with Japan's education system that's it's almost horrifying. Bullying is simply accepted, teachers ignore it, and if anything ever does happen to do with a school, the staff denies anything to do with it. It's a terribly broken system, and from here you can sorta see why suicide is the leading cause of death amongst young people there.
The same attitude towards bullying gets carried over to the work place. It's normal for people to pretend to be working when the day is done just so their supervisor doesn't bully them for being lazy.
Back to top Go down
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 10:45 am

Raine wrote:
Lapin wrote:

If you want more information on this phenomenon, look up "ijime" on your search engine of choice. If anything, Raine is downplaying the problem.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:20 pm

TheHermit wrote:
If you want more information on this phenomenon, look up "ijime" on your search engine of choice. If anything, Raine is downplaying the problem.

Yeah, I most likely am. D: I haven't really tried to research it, but it's obvious enough just from the way bullying is portrayed in the media/entertainment industry.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Lapin wrote:

This.

I mean, the twelve year olds are retarded. It's to be expected, however, they're twelve. And they had the decency to read some nice little speech someone else wrote them them then forced them to read. More than I'd do. I'd probably be there bragging about it. But then, I'm an asshole.

The teachers are supposed to be authority and order. They clearly weren't.

Rainey wrote:
It's a terribly broken system, and from here you can sorta see why suicide is the leading cause of death amongst young people there.

Or it may be a cultural tendency to off oneself at the slightest provocation that goes back as far as one can remember. Colbert
Back to top Go down
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
I_Lam_Edhellen

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Lapin wrote:

This.

I mean, the twelve year olds are retarded. It's to be expected, however, they're twelve. And they had the decency to read some nice little speech someone else wrote them them then forced them to read. More than I'd do. I'd probably be there bragging about it. But then, I'm an asshole.

The teachers are supposed to be authority and order. They clearly weren't.
It's worse than this, actually. One reason that students find it so easy to do this and get away with it is that the teachers themselves do it to students. One of my friends went to Japan on a English-teaching internship. She assisted teachers in the classroom by reading examples so they could listen to good pronunciation, stuff like that. She told me about one incident at a school called Nagawachuu where a student couldn't answer a question, and the teacher spent half the class period yelling at the kid, telling him how useless he was, and encouraging other students to "discipline" him. My friend was so horrified that she went to the school principle and her boss, but they told her that there was nothing that could be done, and that the teacher had tenure. Once that teacher even turned her wrath on my friend, because she corrected the teacher's pronunciation. She complained again, and they told her that she didn't have to put in an effort at that school.

It's not just the students. It's the teachers too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 1:26 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Rainey wrote:
It's a terribly broken system, and from here you can sorta see why suicide is the leading cause of death amongst young people there.

Or it may be a cultural tendency to off oneself at the slightest provocation that goes back as far as one can remember. Colbert

You need to work on your long-term memory.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 6:58 am

Verandering wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Rainey wrote:

I believe he's referring to Harakiri/ Seppuku, which started some time in the 12th century. I certainly can't remember that far back Razz
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Lexin

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 8:37 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Verandering wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Rainey wrote:

I believe he's referring to Harakiri/ Seppuku, which started some time in the 12th century. I certainly can't remember that far back Razz
Even I can't remember that far back, and I'm one of the oldest people on this board.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk
Kitsune-chan

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

The point is that just because Japan has cultural tendencies that have led to a higher suicide rate than most countries does not mean that there isn't a huge problem with bullying there.
Back to top Go down
Verandering
The Gender Offender
The Gender Offender
Verandering

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:39 pm

I wouldn't give Mikey too much credit. I'm also not sure how "honourable suicide" has much to do with "killing oneself at the slightest provocation." I took it to mean something about World War 2.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 10:08 pm

World War 2 was what I was specifically thinking about. Though I knew some form of suicide was something of a cultural norm before then.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 am

Again, I overestimated Mikey's brainpower.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 9:12 am

If this had happened in America, somebody would be getting sued by now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 pm

grmblfjx wrote:
Again, I overestimated Mikey's brainpower.

Are you implying blindly rushing US Marines over open fields isn't simply assisted suicide?

You're just mad because you lost. Razz

Also, the Germans seemed fond of killing themselves around that time as well.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
Are you implying blindly rushing US Marines over open fields isn't simply assisted suicide?

No. I'm implying that I gave you too much credit when I assumed you knew anything about pre-WW2 Japan.

Quote :
Also, the Germans seemed fond of killing themselves around that time as well.

Hey, it wasn't the Germans who put their own soldiers in penal battalions and made them clear mine fields by running across them. Hint: Russians are crazier than anyone.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Gumball wrote:
No. I'm implying that I gave you too much credit when I assumed you knew anything about pre-WW2 Japan.

I know vague crap about it. D8 And how their peculiar fighting traditions would have caused their doom at the hands of slightly less disciplined Mongols had a inordinately strong storm not occurred at a very unlikely time of year and sunk the Mongols little fleet.

Gumball wrote:
Hint: Russians are crazier than anyone.

Crazy like a fox. I bet they got all of those minefields cleared. Cool
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer
grmblfjx

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 8:11 am

Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:
I know vague crap about it. D8 And how their peculiar fighting traditions would have caused their doom at the hands of slightly less disciplined Mongols had a inordinately strong storm not occurred at a very unlikely time of year and sunk the Mongols little fleet.

That just means you read Cracked.

Back to top Go down
KylarStern

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 6:46 pm

This reminds me very much of this. When i read about this one i was wondering how the hell they're allowed to get away with these things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stay classy, Japan    Stay classy, Japan  Empty

Back to top Go down

Stay classy, Japan
Page 1 of 1