Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Baby dies of whooping cough

Go down 
+38
rachel
Ellym
Azzandra
myeerah
Penguin
Lapin
Jesus.
Hot Cancer
Reepicheep-chan
TheHedonist
Sutremaine
TheHermit
Sheba
VenusRain
Rabid Badger
Mikey Go WOOGA
rae
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Mr.Doobie
grmblfjx
Jay/Cris
The Unoriginal
Nevvy
vade
pirategrrl
ZoZo
PendragonGirl
Maximilia
Lexin
Cyberwulf
Aggie
Lady Anne
Khajidu
Raine
Saleha
XLT-100852.0
Selenite
Anathema
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 12:28 pm

What I do not understand is this: the term 'homeopathy' was coined for this crazy dilution BS, correct? Why have legit herbal medication taken to calling themselves 'homeopathic'? I have taken lots of meds labeled 'homeopathic' that were perfectly funtional herbal remedies (protip: herbal sleep aides=win).
Back to top Go down
VenusRain

VenusRain

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 pm

I have no damn clue. It actually confuses me a lot, because I'm pretty sure it's a recent development.

...The calling herbal remedies homeopathic, that is. Not the nutjobs who think that water remembers things. I still don't trust herbal remedies, but it's more of a drug interactions thing than a "these just don't fucking work" thing.
Back to top Go down
Hot Cancer
Playwright
Playwright
Hot Cancer

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:
What I do not understand is this: the term 'homeopathy' was coined for this crazy dilution BS, correct? Why have legit herbal medication taken to calling themselves 'homeopathic'? I have taken lots of meds labeled 'homeopathic' that were perfectly funtional herbal remedies (protip: herbal sleep aides=win).

Because:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Marketability. Bandwagon jupming etc.

I would imagine anyway.
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:

I hold the belief their children should be taken away and given to sane, rational people. A Christian Scientist kid caused a minor outbreak of measles at the boys school when they were in 3rd or 4th grade. Most of the kids were okay, having been vaccinated, but there were about a dozen whose parents were either religious nutcases or they'd just been to lazy to get their vaccinations done. Thankfully, nobody died from it, but it's just the thought that ANY parent would let their child go through that sort of pain and suffering and proclaim it 'The will of God' when, in most cases, they could get them vaccinated for free at the local Women and Children's clinic.
I thought children by law are supposed to vaccinated before enrolling in school.
Back to top Go down
TheHedonist
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
TheHedonist

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 pm

XLT-100852.0 wrote:
I thought children by law are supposed to vaccinated before enrolling in school.

I can only speak for the US but here it's done on a school-to-school basis. Between elementary, middle, and high school I changed districts and each time needed a new regimen of vaccinations based on the requirements of each school system. For instance, I had the MMR and Hepatitis B vaccines before elementary school but needed to get the tuberculosis one before middle school and then the whooping cough one before high school. Different districts, different requirements.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I believe parents in the US are also able to skip vaccinations if they claim religious beliefs prevent it.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 10:01 pm

TheHedonist wrote:
Guys I got a vaccine today and my arm hurts is it autism?

Dude, Gardacil (Gardasil?) hurts like a BITCH. I felt like I was punched in the arm each injection. D:
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 11:04 pm

rae wrote:
I believe parents in the US are also able to skip vaccinations if they claim religious beliefs prevent it.
They are allowed to skip them over religious beliefs in my district.

Sutremaine wrote:
But only the clear goop on the inside. The yellow latex directly under the skin is an irritant and a laxative.
I've never found the yellow latex particularly irritating (but I almot never use it for anything but sunburn, and any irritation would probably be mistaken for the sunburn itself), but I have heard of the laxative effect. I've also met people who insist they drink aloe juice all the time and never feel a laxative effect, which probably means they aren't getting that yellow part.

Sticking yourself on the spines of the leaves isn't very pleasant, either.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Jesus. wrote:
TheHedonist wrote:
Guys I got a vaccine today and my arm hurts is it autism?

Dude, Gardacil (Gardasil?) hurts like a BITCH. I felt like I was punched in the arm each injection. D:

Fucking hell, that shit felt like a bruise for days. I couldn't even lift my arm all the way the first day.
Back to top Go down
XLT-100852.0
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
XLT-100852.0

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Jesus. wrote:
Yes, yes that shot is the worst fucking thing ever. My arm was hurting for over a week.

But is so that I can be one less, so it's worth it.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 3:37 am

XLT-100852.0 wrote:
But is so that I can be one less

What.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 12:58 pm

I think that's that ovarian cancer shot or whatever. You know, the one with those faggy commercials that just spammed "I WANNA BE ONE LESS ONE LESS ONE LESS" to innocent, unsuspecting viewers.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:22 pm

One less what though?
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Penguin wrote:
One less what though?

Statistic, I think.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 pm

Penguin wrote:
One less what though?
One less woman affected by cervical cancer, one less statistic, one less whatever-the-fuck-they-came-up-with-to-make-it-catchy, yada yada.

Back to top Go down
Azzandra
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Azzandra

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Reepicheep-chan wrote:

I don't think many people even know what "homeopathic" means. For some time, I was under the impression that it reffered to home-brewed remedies.
Back to top Go down
Ellym

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 11:21 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:
Cyberwulf, I'm a bit puzzled. Your profile says you're younger than me, yet you weren't vaccinated against measles and mumps, while I was. What gives? Was the vaccine made available in Ireland later than in the U.S.?

I was def. born in 1981, so it's possible the MMR wasn't made available in Ireland at the same time as the US. I don't know the timetable for the individual vaccines, if there was one. I don't remember having measles (but I did have them), so I was quite young, and my sister and I had mumps at around the same time but I don't remember my younger brother having them. I think he may have had the MMR. I wasn't vaccinated against rubella till I was twelve, and it was done through the school so obviously at the time that was the norm.
I remember that a new strain of measles appeared about 1990 (or at least that's when it appeared here in the U.S.). My parents had my sisters and me re-vaccinated against it, but one sister had already been exposed and came down with measles anyway. Luckily, she had a mild case with no lasting effects, though my mother was worried, because when she herself had measles at age 5 (in 1952, before there was a vaccine) she had a severe case that could have left her blind. Luckily, her new stepmother was a nurse and knew how to treat measles--she made Mom stay in a dark room until she recovered.

I was born in 1989 and received only one round of MMR. My sister (born 4 years later) received it twice. When I was about 16 we were visiting family friends with a son 2 days older than me who had received the same regimen of vaccinations as me at the same GP's surgery at the same time. He had measles, and it was felt to be in everyone's best interests if we were kept apart. Our younger siblings were both considered to be 'safe'. Anyway, later that year I was asked to come to the doctor's for a second dose of the MMR - turns out that until 1991 or 1992 they hadn't done boosters, and there had been a measles epidemic amongst students at a number of schools and universities because, apparently, the single dose wasn't actually sufficient. They'd known this for years, but had only done something because of the outbreak at Easter (made worse by crossover in families due to students returning from uni/boarding school for the hols).
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
The Unoriginal

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Reading these recounts - and admittedly we live in the part of the world that has it made, with central heating and purified water - makes me go "Fuck you" at the people who pretend to cure cancer with injections of Crisco, looking at colored crystals and what was it? "A change in attitude"? I can't force myself to feel sorry for her.

My late aunt got abdominal typhus when she was six. There was nothing that the doctor could do for her, so he recommended my grandparents to feed her a few teaspoons of coffee so that at least her heart would keep going. She survived, but the disease made her sterile. My father's aunt caught polio and for the rest of her life she limped around her tiny house, depending on relatives for pretty much everything.
I could go on with a list of people with similar, chronical condition, who were alive in my times, who had the misfortune of catching the bug a few years before the vaccine and were screwed for life. These people would have given an arm to have the opportunities we enjoy today - and today, people don't vaccinate because they read a webpage that goes against five thousand years of medicine, but fulfills their desire to be the ones Who Know Better...
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 pm

How can people claim vaccinations are against their religion?

What religion has the rule "Thou shalt not protect thineself against disease" or something?

I suppose they thought if they prayed hard enough the baby wouldn't get it or something.

I hate to say it, but those parents practically DESERVED to lose their baby.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Harley Quinn hyenaholic wrote:

What religion has the rule "Thou shalt not protect thineself against disease" or something?

I suppose they thought if they prayed hard enough the baby wouldn't get it or something.

But the baby didn't deserve to die for having stupid parents.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
TheHermit
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
TheHermit

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:24 pm

The idea is that God is the one who decides who lives or dies, and humans can (should) do nothing to prevent that. Vaccination/medical treatment takes that power away from God, and is therefore evil and a tool of corruption.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 11:58 pm

TheHermit wrote:

The idea is that God is the one who decides who lives or dies, and humans can (should) do nothing to prevent that. Vaccination/medical treatment takes that power away from God, and is therefore evil and a tool of corruption.

If you follow this to it's logical conclusion, that means ALL medical care is against God's will, and then you get people like Christian Scientist's and Jehova's Witnesses who refuse to undergo medical treatment of any sort. This doesn't bother me where adults are concerned, but then they insist on making the same illogical decisions for their children, who have no say so in the matter.

My father believed that God was the one who gave Doctors the knowledge to do surgery, create vaccines and treat disease. That didn't mean you couldn't pray to God for healing, but, as he was fond of saying "God helps those who help themselves." I saw first-hand growing up the sort of damage that refusing to accept traditional medicine could cause a person; the talking behind your back about how God didn't save your baby because you didn't pray hard enough or believe hard enough.

In the end, death is tied not into God's divine decision, but was caused by your lack of faith and effort. At least that's how it seemed to go about 99.9% of the time.

Last edited by Rabid Badger on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:24 am

TheHermit wrote:

The funny thing is that I can't think of a religion that has a God so feeble he can't overwhelm a little vaccination with a lightning bolt. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 6:43 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
TheHermit wrote:

If you follow this to it's logical conclusion, that means ALL medical care is against God's will, and then you get people like Christian Scientist's and Jehova's Witnesses who refuse to undergo medical treatment of any sort. This doesn't bother me where adults are concerned, but then they insist on making the same illogical decisions for their children, who have no say so in the matter.

My father believed that God was the one who gave Doctors the knowledge to do surgery, create vaccines and treat disease. That didn't mean you couldn't pray to God for healing, but, as he was fond of saying "God helps those who help themselves." I saw first-hand growing up the sort of damage that refusing to accept traditional medicine could cause a person; the talking behind your back about how God didn't save your baby because you didn't pray hard enough or believe hard enough.

In the end, death is tied not into God's divine decision, but was caused by your lack of faith and effort. At least that's how it seemed to go about 99.9% of the time.

That's the cop-out excuse for prayer. It's like when Jesus said something about if you believed enough, a mountain would pick itself up and replant itself. If you pray and it doesn't work out, it's because you didn't believe enough. Next time you just need to pray harder, and it'll all work out.

Except it DOESN'T. And this isn't because God isn't strong enough or flat out doesn't exist, but because YOU didn't believe enough. I've known people who DID believe that enough belief will provide. Genuinely believing that enough belief will make God provide should be belief enough in itself. My mum agrees with me on that but neither of us have been smote yet.

But don't worry. I'm sure that God taking a 17 month old baby out of the world had a damn good reason.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 7:35 am

From the article:
Quote :
"Infants are most vulnerable to complications from this disease because they are too young to get vaccinated,'' he said.
This baby was one month old. He was too young to be vaccinated even if the parents had wanted him to be because vaccinations start at two months.

Are you, perhaps, an idiot? I think maybe you are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby dies of whooping cough   Baby dies of whooping cough - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Baby dies of whooping cough
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next