Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.

Go down 
+22
Miss Prince
Maximilia
Lapin
Spotts1701
Just Chipper
Mikey Go WOOGA
Cyberwulf
KelinciHutan
The Alien from Uranus
Lady Anne
Sutremaine
Exodia's Right Leg
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Mr.Doobie
Malganis
the asylum
KGarrett
Drabbler
Chris91
gaijinguy
Jesus.
ZoZo
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.   Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
Are you high-fiving a rapist right now, Spotts? Because I think you are high-fiving a rapist.

I am simply pointing out the legal minefield that the media would be walking into should they do what Cy and numerous others suggest.

Yes, they could add "alleged" or "accused". But then you run into other legal problems in this circumstance (mainly that you can't say someone who's pleaded guilty to one crime is alleged to have committed another crime based upon the exact same fact pattern).
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.   Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
An adult CAN'T 'have sex with' a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD, dumbasses.

No, he can't. But in the context of a newspaper article rape is a legal term, and the press CANNOT call someone a rapist if they haven't been convicted of rape. Just like they cannot call Kobe Bryant or Ben Roethlisberger rapists, or OJ Simpson a murderer. That's libel, and they can be sued for it. They do not have the fallback of "truth as a defense" because it hasn't been PROVEN true in a court of law.

Wikipedia wrote:
On 8 August 1977[65], Polanski entered a plea of guilty to Charge III of the indictment, Unlawful Sexual Intercourse, in violation of California Penal Code § 261.5, a charge which is synonymous under California law with statutory rape.

[...]

the judge "suggested to Polanski's attorneys" that more jail time and possible deportation were in order.[66][70] Upon learning of the judge's plans Polanski fled to France on 1 February 1978, hours before he was to be formally sentenced.[62]

He pleaded guilty of Unlawful Sexual Intercourse. It may be synonymous with statutory rape in a lay sense, but in the legal world the terms are not fully interchangeable.

But what do I know, I've only spent the last eight years of my life studying the law...it's not like I don't know what I'm taking about.

As much as I'm on your side here, I'd like to say that I've played golf religiously for eight years, and still suck at it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.   Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 7:58 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Mikey Go WOOGA wrote:

We've been over this before, you putz. Considering he was never convicted of rape, the newspaper could get into trouble by calling him a rapist or saying he raped the girl. At least in America, where we at least pretend to value freedom of speech/press. Swiss probably have hate speech and libel laws coming out of their hole filled asses.
As far as I understand libel law (which isn't brilliantly, I admit, as I come from a country where our libel laws are completely fucked) he'd need to go over to the USA to pursue the case. Or the UK, where he'd stand a better chance of winning due to aforementioned completely fucked libel laws. I can't really see him doing either.
That still doesn't make it ethically ok for a newspaper to pin a crime to someone who wasn't convicted of it. Look beyond this case and think of the precedent an action like that would set for future defendants who may be written about.

Also, in b4 I get told I love rapists.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.   Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 8:19 pm

Bamshalam wrote:
No, but you are a traitor to your gender.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.   Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 4:07 am

Bamshalam wrote:

That still doesn't make it ethically ok for a newspaper to pin a crime to someone who wasn't convicted of it. Look beyond this case and think of the precedent an action like that would set for future defendants who may be written about.

If I'm reading you right then you mean the following in simple people speak.
Man did bad thing, but all the papers shouldn't have said he had definitely done bad thing (only said he was accused of doing a bad thing) until it was proven legally that he had done the bad thing. That cover it?

Sounds fair enough to me.
Back to top Go down
Jesus.
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Jesus.

PostSubject: Re: Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.   Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 4:20 am

Somath Cegem wrote:
Bamshalam wrote:

If I'm reading you right then you mean the following in simple people speak.
Man did bad thing, but all the papers shouldn't have said he had definitely done bad thing (only said he was accused of doing a bad thing) until it was proven legally that he had done the bad thing. That cover it?

Sounds fair enough to me.

This is a case where we *know* he did the crime. But this can set a precedent where people not convicted and with some uncertainty as to their actual guilt get labeled under the legal terms they are accused of, and that's where it becomes a problem. You know he did it? How do you know? Doesn't matter, in my eyes, he's a rapist. See the problem here? The press has enough to shit up our papers with.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.   Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2010 9:26 am

Cyberwulf wrote:
Don't bother, Max, asylum just loves rapists.

Stay classy, Cy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.   Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Polanski's free without serving any real time for the rape of a minor.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3