Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough

Go down 
+45
Runcible_Spoon
tim gueguen
zootie
Mikey Go WOOGA
I_Lam_Edhellen
Reidmar
Owlish
Disco Stu
Penguin
Azzandra
artsigirl90
littledorrit
Mr. Comic Book
Lady Anne
EricD
Nonsense Words
Cactus Wren
Gamma Vector
Kari Izumi
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Ugly Swan
Trioculus
Reepicheep-chan
Raine
Jay/Cris
Just Chipper
Knorg
slinkythecynic
kleine_kat
Maximilia
Bad Luck Charm
Jesus.
Sutremaine
gaijinguy
Salamas
Drabbler
Chris91
Lexin
Malganis
Cyberwulf
EileenK98
ZoZo
Spotts1701
Braigwen
Keith Fraser
49 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
slinkythecynic

Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:52 am

Malganis wrote:
slinkythecynic wrote:
My number one on the list of shows that weren't canceled soon enough would have to be 24. I don't even have a reason other than Kiefer kind of looks like his face is made of leather and I really don't know how it's feasible to stretch eight days over eight (almost 9) years.

What? The show itself makes it pretty clear that the days don't happen consecutively. I haven't seriously watched 24 in years and even I know that.

I last watched 24 on May 24th of 2010 when the final episode aired. Perhaps it was because it was so repetitive that it was unclear. All eight seasons seemed to mesh together in one ball of terrorist activity where the main protagonist can be likened to George JR with his inability to pronounce words that are central to his role. My father enjoys the show and I tease him endlessly for it.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 12:44 pm

It was very clear that the days were years apart. If nothing else, surely you noticed the multiple presidential administrations?
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 pm

slinkythecynic wrote:
I last watched 24 on May 24th of 2010 when the final episode aired. Perhaps it was because it was so repetitive that it was unclear. All eight seasons seemed to mesh together in one ball of terrorist activity

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Drabbler wrote:
If nothing else, surely you noticed the multiple presidential administrations?

Apparently not! Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 961878
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:01 pm

Malganis wrote:
Throwing one out there that I haven't watched, but have heard that it had a steady decline in quality after it was brought back from cancellation: Family Guy. I can't even watch it because I find the characters' voices annoying.
Family Guy have basically run with South Park's suggestion that the cutaway gags are "written" by manatees pushing idea-balls into a Joke Combine, which is Matt and Trey's convoluted way of saying "madlibs". The characters are all thoroughly unlikeable and every episode is rounded out with some nice rape jokes. American Dad, the show MacFarlane created when Family Guy was cancelled, is far better. I don't know why The Cleveland Show even exists.
Back to top Go down
Knorg
Behind Blue Eyes
Behind Blue Eyes
Knorg

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 2:52 pm

Sliders. Just because.
Back to top Go down
Malganis
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Malganis

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 3:37 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
American Dad, the show MacFarlane created when Family Guy was cancelled, is far better.

I heard that one was even worse.
Back to top Go down
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Keith Fraser

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Bad Luck Charm wrote:
Grey's Anatomy was cancelled? About frakkin' time. It jumped the shark when it introduced that sex with a ghost thing.

Wait, what? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

("Shagging the ghost" should be the new "jumping the shark" or "nuking the fridge". Star Trek: The Next Generation had a terrible ghost-shagging episode too.)
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Malganis wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
American Dad, the show MacFarlane created when Family Guy was cancelled, is far better.

No, I agree with Cyberwulf here--American Dad is far better than Family Guy, at least IMO.
Back to top Go down
Just Chipper
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Just Chipper

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
I don't know why The Cleveland Show even exists.
Because FOX have a hard-on for Seth McFarlene and are idiots.

nthing Family Guy. Wasn't there a post on the GAFF by somebody who basically took the show apart? My memory's a little foggy, so I can't remember who it was, but it was great.
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:15 pm

Lexin wrote:
With Dr Who, old Who jumped the shark with Colin Baker's doctor. It should have stopped then, because after that it was not even funny any more. It was just sad what it had become. New Who started off on a high note with Christopher Ecclestone's Doctor, but I never took to Tenant. I was never really that convinced that he could save the universe and the new one has had some good episodes (the Van Gogh one was good, IMO) but hasn't really convinced me either that he could stand up to evil.

I did like Rory, though. I preferred Rory to Amy.
I never did take to Seven. I've only seen Time and the Rani ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] , but still thought Timeflight was worse), Survival, and the five minutes he was in the movie, but he didn't seem to be very Doctor-ish. Maybe it was the jumper and the fussiness? Six could have been good, but by then the show was being strangled. Despite the general badness of Trial of a Time Lord (and that they spent like their whole budget for the season on that shot of the spaceship) I liked the Doctor's more mellow character.

I like Eleven just because he's so sane compared to Ten. He hasn't committed a single atrocity the whole season or had a manic flip-out even once. He also seems a lot more in control and accepting of his dark side, which was (imo) Ten's major failing. Regarding his convincingness as a saviour of the universe... I don't mind, he's more quietly confident than his predecessor. Usually he sounds as though he has everything under control even when he's being forced to think on his feet and telling everyone how he doesn't have anything under control (yeah right).

Rory could have been good had he been allowed to be more than 'Amy's boyfriend'. Seriously, how many of his lines weren't about his relationship with Amy? But yeah, I liked him. So nice to have a companion with so much support in her life.
Back to top Go down
Bad Luck Charm
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Bad Luck Charm

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:
Bad Luck Charm wrote:
Chris91 wrote:
Grey's Anatomy DEFINITELY wasn't cancelled quick enough. It was crap from day one and has gone steadily downhill ever since. For some inexplicable reason my dad seems to like it-- which doesn't say much for his viewing tastes. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Grey's Anatomy was cancelled? About frakkin' time. It jumped the shark when it introduced that sex with a ghost thing. Uh, no. That only worked on Ghostbusters. And it was actually funny. Plus it seemed the whole lot of characters just would rather feel each other up in the storage closet than do actual work.

I wish - Season 7 will start airing in September.

Aw FUCK! Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 846489
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 7:33 am

Bad Luck Charm wrote:
Spotts1701 wrote:
Bad Luck Charm wrote:
Chris91 wrote:
Grey's Anatomy DEFINITELY wasn't cancelled quick enough. It was crap from day one and has gone steadily downhill ever since. For some inexplicable reason my dad seems to like it-- which doesn't say much for his viewing tastes. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Grey's Anatomy was cancelled? About frakkin' time. It jumped the shark when it introduced that sex with a ghost thing. Uh, no. That only worked on Ghostbusters. And it was actually funny. Plus it seemed the whole lot of characters just would rather feel each other up in the storage closet than do actual work.

I wish - Season 7 will start airing in September.

Aw FUCK! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not to nuance this or anything, but I gave up on Grey's Anatomy in season 3 (or 4? Anyway) after the whole Izzy/George/Ghost of Danny thing. Basically, I was done with it - something that took ER 9 seasons to accomplish. (The helicopter goes for the same guy again? COME ON) Buuut I've recently watched the last half of season 6 and it actually seemed to be getting good again? Seriously: watch the last 2 episodes - the season finale - of season 6. That's actually good telly, even though the doctors are still annoyingly self-absorbed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 7:42 am

Maximilia wrote:
Malganis wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:

No, I agree with Cyberwulf here--American Dad is far better than Family Guy, at least IMO.

There's nothing to choose between either of them. They both suck.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 8:20 am

Knorg wrote:
Sliders. Just because.

You know, I remember being quite a fan of that show for a while. Eventually I forgot about it and when I finally saw one of the later episodes it just seemed stupid.

Oh, and here's another obvious one - THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

...I really have no idea why my parents watch it, let alone why I occasionally watch it too. It's like I haven't even lost a single point in the plot if I miss a couple months.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am

^ Haha, you may as well say GENERAL HOSPITAL.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 9:30 am

Or any soap opera, really.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 am

Dragging on forver is basically part of the genre. If it does not last 20 seasons it is not a soap opera.
Back to top Go down
Trioculus
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Trioculus

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 10:32 am

Maximilia wrote:
Or any soap opera, really.

I can attest to this. My late Grandmother watched Days of Our Lives from sometime before I could remember until about six or seven years ago, when they started killing off half the cast. Anyway, when I went to work at K-Mart, the TV in the lounge was always turned on to the CBS soaps, and I was pretty amazed to discover that regardless of the name, it was all the exact same shit.
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Soaps, especially the long-runners, are pretty much immune to this, because they go through cycles of quality, but even at their best and worst, they're still soaps. They're cranking out more than ten times as many episodes as primetime series, so they don't follow the same rules. Storylines end and new storylines start, and the shows keep on going. They aren't dependent on one or two or a handful of characters, so anyone's expendable, and the shows keep on going. There's a reason why, instead of screaming, "This show should've been canned!" the fans scream, "The head writer should've been canned!"

And I've known a few people who've said American Dad is better than Family Guy. I probably agree with them; it certainly doesn't have most of FG's biggest problems. When the show first started, the fans' biggest complaint was that it was more traditional, without the wild asides and general anarchy of Family Guy. Now, that doesn't seem like such a negative, does it?
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 pm

American Dad is better in the sense that:

- there's a linear story without eight minutes of cutaway gags, most of which involve a fucking chicken fight or Peter shouting the same word over and over

- the zany elements make sense within the show because Stan (the dad) is in the CIA; that's how he met Roger, the alien that lives with them

- the characters are likeable

- Haley (the daughter) isn't a joke-butt who's hated by everyone in the cast

- faaaaar fewer rape jokes (although the odd one gets through)

- Patrick Stewart stars as Stan's boss

That doesn't mean it's a great show, but it's better than Family Guy.
Back to top Go down
Ugly Swan

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 am

Sutremaine wrote:
Lexin wrote:
Probably going to make myself really
unpopular with this one, but I think Dr Who has gone way beyond it's
sell-by date, and Torchwood wasn't cancelled quickly enough. I note
with dread plans to resurrect Torchwood.

Agreed on
Buffy, very very much. I choose to ignore anything past Season 3.
Although 4 and 5 weren't too bad, 4 was disjointed and 5 had Dawn. I
also thought that Glory was too 'big' an opponent for the show. The
previous villains of the series were a lot more domestic in their scope,
which I thought was a better fit with the tone of the show.

I didn't even mind the other seasons, I even thought season five was pretty good, but I definitely feel it was a different show after season three and may as well have become a spin-off like Angel. Plus, the initial premise of the show was for it to be a "high school horror filk", and when they weren't in high school anymore, that premise was lost.

Heroes should have just stayed one season. Or alternatively, been less bent on pleasing its fans and just kept Sylar dead - or at least evil. It sucks that as soon as the show started going somewhere halfway decent again, it got canceled.

How about the US version of The Office? I find it very hard to believe that nobody has fired Michael Scott and that nobody has quit. I understand that it's a comedy (and therefore not serious business), and that Michael is supposed to be that boss everyone expected to be fired a long time ago, and I understand that even in the real world "just get a new job" is much easier said than done, but I find it hard to believe that someone as clueless as Michael would still be a boss, and that not one person has left. Again, I know it's a comedy, but they should be at least slightly believable.
Back to top Go down
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:22 am

Ugly Swan wrote:
Heroes should have just stayed one season. Or alternatively, been less bent on pleasing its fans and just kept Sylar dead
IAWTC. Sooooo much. I just flat out did not watch the 2nd season because I heard Skylar was not dead. I really wanted him to be dead. I guess that means I do not have first hand 'proof' that the rest of the show sucked, but I have no reason to doubt that it did if you all say it did.
Back to top Go down
Harley Quinn hyenaholic
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Harley Quinn hyenaholic

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 10:58 am

I agree with Family Guy haters SO much. The way they treated Meg stopped being entertaining and started being more and more disgusting. Brian stopped being clever and became an alcoholic with self-righteous-git syndrome. And I preferred it when it was suggested that only Brian could understand Stewie's crazed ramblings.

American Dad is far from the BTE but at least it's comprehensible. They knew Stan was a crazy patriot and played him like that from the start. Roger helps add general insanity without the show straining itself. And Stan loves his family. Even if he is nuts.

Sonic X. It should have stopped when Sonic and his pals finally got back home. Hell, it was a bit too late then, but we did NOT need Chris Thorndyke spending 30 years of his life working to get back to Sonic, and then when he got there finding his age magically rewound or something.
Back to top Go down
https://www.fanfiction.net/~breechloader
Kari Izumi
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 9:05 am

Drabbler wrote:
[Soaps] aren't dependent on one or two or a handful of characters, so anyone's expendable, and the shows keep on going. There's a reason why, instead of screaming, "This show should've been canned!" the fans scream, "The head writer should've been canned!"
1)Tell that to the writers of the Young and the Restless. I swear, most of their stories these day revolve around that selfish egomaniac Victor Newman, and I was sorry that show hired the actor back after he pitched a fit last year about having too little pay (He's the second-highest paid soap actor next to Susan Lucci).

2)Especially if that headwriter is Jean Passante, whose been headwiter on two soaps that have gotten cancelled under her watch and fired from a third when ratings took a sharp nosedive.

The whole genre's gonna die, and it's due to apathetic writers and/or those who think the audience is stupid and will accept any old rubbish that's passed as "Good" drama. Trek fans didn't put up with Enterprise because it's Trek, and neither did longtime viewers of "As The World Turns when it was obvious that no one cared about that show.
Back to top Go down
Gamma Vector

Gamma Vector

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Buffy, as many people have said, pretty much ran out of steam after the third season. Then it ended with Buffy's death, and we all cried, and agreed that the show was indeed good and loveable and...
and...
...Wait, it's not over?
...We're gonna bring Buffy back from the dead?
WTF R U DOIN JOSSMAN? D8

As for Angel, I have one word for you: Jasmine.
The only reason anyone likes season five is because, after the shitstorm that was season four, anything was entertaining.
Actually, I really didn't like much of anything beyond the Darla mess. Especially anything involving Connor, who pretty much makes me want to shoot JW in the face.

Also, Charmed. Holy Mother of God.
I just...No. The whole thing with the canon shift and the Avatar fuckery and Leo is an Elder and the canon shift and Wyatt is a godmanthing and then there was Billy-Sue and..and...*cries*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough   Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Shows that weren't cancelled soon enough
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next