Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Ansem Man

The Ansem Man

I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy Empty
PostSubject: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyFri May 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Yes, long time, no see, nobody knows who I am and all that.

I don't think this has been done too often, so I want to make a vibrant story about this... though I can't seem to organize the thoughts on it. I've got a summary, though.

Okay, humanity has been in space for a good while now, living in colonies (think any sort of Gundam, Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, et al.) The main character is young researcher who's life goal is to keep order and maintain the colony she lives on (built by her family/ancestors). She likes exploring every nook and cranny and keeping order, so imagine her surprise when she's touring one of the science facilities when she finds a... hidden jail. Locked up in it is a supernatural demonish girl... she sets her free by pure curiosity, and it goes to hell from there.

Turns out humans hadn't been used to the supernatural since they've been to space. Monsters and such have been hiding for years, and freeing this woman has inspired some of them to come out of hiding. A person who upholds law, the main character finds herself tasked with dealing with the freed 'threat' and supernatural creatures running around and overtaking technology, and most of all, figuring out what exactly that girl she freed is really up to.

I'm trying to figure out some specifics, such as a good focusing point/endpoint, the details of how 'hard' the sci-fi should be, how culture might be affected from a 300 year time skip, things like that. I know this is vague, but figuring out what direction I should aim for would help me a lot.

You may now send the hounds to tear this apart.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyFri May 28, 2010 5:13 pm

so basically system shock with demons instead of an insane computer
Back to top Go down
AngryRobotsInc
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
AngryRobotsInc

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyFri May 28, 2010 5:40 pm

I'd think you need a better reason for freeing the creature. Because "for curiosity" is....not exactly intelligent. So unless the girl is supposed to have all the common sense of a particularly stupid rock, it doesn't really work.
Back to top Go down
The Ansem Man

The Ansem Man

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyFri May 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Hmmm, good point... there is, for instance, a security robot going haywire, or some other force who's aim was to free the demon the whole time and tricked her... still, she should feel responsible in some way.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyFri May 28, 2010 9:12 pm

are you going with judeochristian demons or eastern weeaboo demons or what because that will make a huge difference
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptySat May 29, 2010 3:28 am

Needs more bolter rounds.
Back to top Go down
The Ansem Man

The Ansem Man

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptySun May 30, 2010 11:28 am

Uh, I'm not interested in making the story grimdark, kthnx. Plus I haven't been exposed to Warhammer 40k aside from some fans and an rp that had a character in it.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptySun May 30, 2010 8:07 pm

if it's not going to be grimdark how the fuck are you going to deal with demons screwing around with a spaceship

also you never answered my previous question
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyMon May 31, 2010 3:47 am

These are obviously going to be happy demons that fart rainbows and give delicious candy to passing children.
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyMon May 31, 2010 10:03 am

The basics of the story is urban fantasy, which means you need to get your fantasy down first. Dongs was right (that's so weird saying that) in asking what kind of demon... you need to get your legends, myths, and monsters down right, and then have a convincing reason why they were hiding. And then a convincing reason why this one act spurred them to reveal themselves.

Some of the other urban fantasies deal with these in different ways. In Kim Harrison's books, the humans had genetically engineered Too Much and Bad Things Happened which knocked down the human population by quite a lot. The supernatural community took that tragedy as an opportunity to reveal themselves and to help humanity--at least on the surface. In Charlaine Harris' books (and the True Blood TV series), the Japanese had perfected making synthetic blood which gave all the sustenance a vampire would need, so they "came out of the coffin". The others in the supernatural community did NOT, however, and some factions are thinking they might, but waiting and seeing how the vampires do first. Not only that, some groups of vampires think it was a bad idea and don't want to "mainstream". In the world of Buffy, demons are around every corner, yet even when faced with evidence, people go screaming the other way in denial. Even if they wanted to "come out" in that world, I rather doubt they could. And then the government started doing experiments on demons, which went awry.

So, first determine what's in your supernatural world, and then come up with a compelling reason for them to "come out".

The second task is to determine how hard of sci-fi you want it. The harder it is, the better theories and research you'll need. Even being three hundred years in the future, I have a hard time believing we'll have colonized anything. It's fucking expensive and holy megafuckton dangerous. The answer to this is some technology that makes it "relatively inexpensive" and relatively safe. Again, though, depending on how "hard" you make the science, you'll need at least something sounding reasonable to back it up. A good series to look at for this would be Bio of a Space Tyrant by Piers Anthony (even though I hate him). He had this bubble technology that made space travel possible within the solar system, and the world expanded from Earth in a relatively short amount of time, splitting the solar system up according to power and population of the countries. It was an allegory for the Cold War and how fucked up our world was, but it might serve to give you some examples.

Another series to check out which also deals with Strange Things and People Colonizing the UNIVERSE would be Dan Simmon's Hyperion series. IIRC, there it was a combination of factors that enabled mass colonization centering around two bits of technology. One was a hyperspace gate that had to be set up first by workman (who went to the planet in cold sleep), and the second was the "Fatline", which was sub-hyperspace communications, which enabled real time talk over light years.

Get some ideas in those directions and come back, then we'll talk about plot and stuff. Sounds like first you've got to world-build.
Back to top Go down
The Ansem Man

The Ansem Man

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyMon May 31, 2010 8:40 pm

A little thanks for pointing that stuff out.

I feel that this world would be a little more blended culturally. The earth's environment deteriorated, and as people saw this as inevitable, they pooled their strengths in coming up with space colonies. Soem parts of earth were so beautiful that they sought to replicate them on colonies, right down to the weather, or even lift them from the planet wholesale. 300 years was just an arbitrary number--any long period of time would do. I admit that I hadn't thought too hard about the sci-fi beyond setting and technology. So I guess I'd rather have my sci-fi soft. I still don't want to be looked back upon and laughed at because I had some technology that functioned like crap. tl;dr: going for soft so long as I can avoid Zeerust.

As far as what I was gunning for, computers play a large part--many of the technologies are run by a few supercomputers, connected such that if one encounters problems, the others aren't screwed over. However, they function better when all are in sync. However, it is learned that, as far as the power source for these things go, they don't distinguish between good old science based electricity and magic, only the power behind them. Meaning if say, the normal way failed, someone could provide a magical battery.

Speaking of which, I want a blend of all sorts of creatures from all sorts of creatures--not all of them, but a good variety, like in a Castlevania game (I did express I might make this into a video game plot, but writing it like a traditional story might help me flesh it out). They'd follow the western style a bit more than they would most other cultures, e.g vampires, demons, mythical beasts, spirits, etc.

As far as why they showed up, I'd was aiming towards a more law vs. chaos thing, with the supernatural being more chaos creatures. I'm still trying to hone down the details, but I'd imagine man did in fact use magic alongside science, but eventually focused fully on the science. The magical creatures used magic as a life blood, while man didn't need them. Now that the demon girl is free, she set about looking for her non-human friends by rewiring the machines to unearth the long forgotten magic used to keep their friends awake. Some more humanoid creatures, like say a werewolf or a demon wouldn't fall asleep--they'd just be almost human in every way. Magic is what caused them to awaken their true forms.

As you said I still need more research to hone out those details, but this is helping me out so far.
Back to top Go down
SirDixonDongs
SirDixonDongs

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyMon May 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Maximilia wrote:
Dongs was right (that's so weird saying that)

I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy 896582 get used to it, im a free bitch baby I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy 896582
Back to top Go down
The Ansem Man

The Ansem Man

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 pm

You get what you pay for?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy   I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy Empty

Back to top Go down

I Want to build a Sci-Fi Urban Fantasy
Page 1 of 1