Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Majin Gojira
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Majin Gojira

Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept Empty
PostSubject: Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept   Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Yeah, I'm totally gonna get reamed for this...

This is not so much of a fanfic for concrit (I know it sucks--to the point where every time I review it I find something to correct), but a concept for discussion. I am in the midst of writing a mega-crossover done in the style of a Super Robot Wars game. In keeping with the style, I hit upon an idea.

In those games, each character/machine has its own music to go along with it (or even with events that occur). So, I hit upon the idea that, during certain moments, I could link to the appropriate music to simualte the effect.

I like music, what can I say.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't (to much overlap, the temptation to link to videos of action recently described is beyond my ability to resist for very long). But that's just my opinion on the concept in execution, I'd like to hear thoughts on the basic concept itself.

I ask this because one recent comment seemed to be absolutely repulsed by the very idea of linking anything in a fanfic.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept   Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 pm

Solution = podfic.

It'd really only work in audio form, honestly. I'm not opposed to the idea of multimedia fanfic, but I think just linking to music really doesn't work; it throws people out of the story to click away and let it load, and it's really difficult/impossible to sync music with text because people read at different speeds. Same with videos, which frankly sounds pretty stupid the way you're presenting it. Describe the action and then link a video of it? Really? Because your prose is so terrible people need a video supplement?

So yeah, your theme music idea might work well in podfic (audiobook) form, but I can't see it working in text.
Back to top Go down
Majin Gojira
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Majin Gojira

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept   Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:22 pm

That's what I was afraid of.

Also, "Podfic?"

I assume its some sort of audiobook format/MP3/IPOD type thing.

This is the first I've heard of it.
Back to top Go down
Miss Prince
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Miss Prince

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept   Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 9:26 pm

Yeah, it's the hip new thing in those crazy enormous fandoms I avoid but can't avoid hearing about. It's just making an audiobook-style reading of a fanfic.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept   Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Multimedia fanfic is not an inherently bad idea, but you need to pic whether it's an audible or visual medium. Music will work better with a podfic, but if it's text, then you'd be better off going with pictures.

If you want music AND visual elements, then you're probably gonna wanna go all out and make it a fan-film.
Back to top Go down
Majin Gojira
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Majin Gojira

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept   Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 8:36 am

Hm, I'm not sure Pictures along for a text fic is that good of an idea, largely due to the necessities of the fic itself and the risk of skimping on description and letting the images do it for you.

Of course, books with pictures exist, so I'm largely worrying for naught.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept   Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept Empty

Back to top Go down

Evaluation of a Multimedia Concept
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: New Releases-
Jump to: