Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

You are all my subjects now!

Go down 
+14
KelinciHutan
Penguin
Dr. Professor Science
Mafiosa
Seule
Snoof
Jay/Cris
KGarrett
Raine
InkWeaver
saeku
Generic Thirteen
rae
Thanos6
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

You are all my subjects now! Empty
PostSubject: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:59 am

Backstory: In seventh grade (for those outside of the American education system, I was 11/12), fed up with the state of the world and the fact that adults weren't taking the "blindingly obvious" steps needed to make everything paradise, I wrote a book in my spare time, in which I (and some of my friends), through quite a few Di Ex Machina, conquer the world and proceed to Make Things Better (until Things Go Wrong and the entire human race dies in a nuclear holocaust).

Not one week after finishing the book, cue the hard drive crash that taught me once and for all why you save important documents on multiple discs.

Nowadays, I want to essentially redo the book, slotting it into my original superhero comicbook series. But I like to think I've matured as a person, so this book won't be an action-adventure polimic about why I should rule the world and why, if people just let me be in charge, everything will be fine.

I want to make it more an examination of what would happen if someone took over the world who had my seventh-grade-self's complete belief that he SHOULD be ruler and that paradise would result, and especially how other people would react.

The World Emperor, yes, is essentially my younger self grown-up to roughly my current age, but with no willingness to even consider for a second that someone with an alternative viewpoint can possibly be right about how to Make Things Better. (Also, thanks to being in a superhero universe, he has vast power that lets him do basically anything and prevents him from simply being thrown out of office.)

Here's where you come in. Aside from the powers, I want this to be as realistic as possible. I want to use you as sample subjects. You will essentially be playing yourself living in this other universe, I will guide you through the story and tell you various things the World Emperor does, and you will give me your reactions. Hopefully this can help me spot things I missed and make this a better story.

Anyone up for it? Please? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Yeah, I'll give it a shot. Sounds like a nifty idea.
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Thanks. I hope you're not my only subject. Smile
Back to top Go down
Generic Thirteen

Generic Thirteen

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:02 pm

Sounds like it could be interesting, I'm in.

...Do we get superpowers too? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:03 pm

This sounds pretty cool. I'd do it.
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm

Generic Thirteen wrote:
Sounds like it could be interesting, I'm in.

...Do we get superpowers too? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I might pick one or two of you, though one of the "rules" of this universe is that if you get powers, you immediately take up a career as a hero or villain. No "empowered bystanders," if that's OK.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:10 pm

I might give this a shot.
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:30 pm

I'm here because every take over the world scheme involves a Shiny New Australia. :D
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Hm. I could give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 10:49 pm

OK, I think we have enough to start with. Anyone else "late to the party" that wants to join in is free to do so at anytime.

Remember: this is a world that has established superheroes and supervillains, several hundred at least. You might be surprised by what the new super on the block's powers ARE, but not that they EXIST.

To start:

Scenario #1:

Tuning into the news (or reading it on the Internet) one morning, you hear about a new super on the scene, an American male, young-to-mid-20s, with some psychic powers, mainly low-or-mid-scale telekinesis and telepathy (the original film version of CARRIE should be what you think of as his absolute peak, at this point). He uses these powers to find a factory in a Third World country (just for the sake of argument, let's say Cambodia) where the workers are kept in virtual servitude and are barely paid, if at all. He liberates the workers and imprisions/humiliates the managers. He then attacks an enclave in Phnom Penh where some of the ruling class lives, forcibly evicting them and setting the workers in there instead, getting them properly fed and rested.

At the time of the report, troops have surrounded the enclave, and at the moment it's a bit of a seige, as they can't make it past his psychic defenses but he can't really get out, either.
Back to top Go down
rae
Contributor
Contributor
rae

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Presuming I am an ordinary citizen, then probably I will be furiously writing letters to my congress person / MP / whatev to try to get him some help, blithely ignorant that one rescue of these workers solves nothing, and likely helps them only a short period of time.
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 11:13 pm

*nods* Good, good...you're ("you" being the you who's typing in this thread, not in the other universe) is already thinking further ahead than he/me is, which is just what I was hoping for. I definitely want him/me to come across in the early stages of this as a well-meaning idealist who doesn't always think everything through.

(The you in the other universe is just like the "you" here; you live in the same place, same job, etc, etc)
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!
Raine

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 12:40 am

The funny thing about Australians is that we have a problem taking things seriously if they're in a country other than our own. I would presume my government knows about the situation, and that the most they'll do is say "we'll support the US in anything they decide to do".

However, I would try to do a little research into the news about it, before posting some form of opinion up on the internet. Most likely I would sit on fence between wondering if it was right or wrong to do such a thing.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 6:14 am

Depending on how often this sort of thing happened, I´d doubt it even register with me. It´d probably only be a small footnote in the European news, considering that the impact of tragedies is proportional to how Western that country is and especially considering that it involves one crazy American and a few Cambodians.

(Also, time is a huge factor here. The whole thing might be resolved in less than 24 hours, which would mean it'd feature on the news maybe a day or two. Chances are, the reactions in Europe would be jaded.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Snoof
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Snoof

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 6:40 am

Wait, hang on. Superpowers? How long have there been metas around for, anyway? Is this the first documented instance of metahuman activity, or has Captain Patriot been saving kitties from trees since 1935, or what?
Back to top Go down
Seule
My Mescaline
My Mescaline
Seule

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 7:54 am

Similar to Jay. If I saw the article, I'd probably :3 then forget about it. I might look at the whole "forcibly evicted" thing and think 'ahh, dem crazy americans, always forcibly something'... but that would be about it, I wouldn't think much about it beyond that.
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 8:38 am

Snoof wrote:
Wait, hang on. Superpowers? How long have there been metas around for, anyway? Is this the first documented instance of metahuman activity, or has Captain Patriot been saving kitties from trees since 1935, or what?

Approximately five to ten years.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 am

I would post about it in the bad news forum. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 9:29 am

I'd probably take a look at the article and talk about it with a few friends (possibly debate how much it matters with the one friend I always debate news with - I'd be taking the side that it's a good step in raising awareness here but is a drop in an ocean) but otherwise wouldn't think about it too much. I'd probably remember it and possibly bring it up as an example in an argument or a conversation but I wouldn't actually do anything because of it.

... this is, of course, if I remembered to check the news that day or if this is the kind of news that manages to be everywhere at once.
Back to top Go down
saeku
Fapmaster
Fapmaster

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 am

Thanos6 wrote:
Tuning into the news (or reading it on the Internet) one morning, you hear about a new super on the scene, an American male, young-to-mid-20s, with some psychic powers, mainly low-or-mid-scale telekinesis and telepathy (the original film version of CARRIE should be what you think of as his absolute peak, at this point). He uses these powers to find a factory in a Third World country (just for the sake of argument, let's say Cambodia) where the workers are kept in virtual servitude and are barely paid, if at all. He liberates the workers and imprisions/humiliates the managers. He then attacks an enclave in Phnom Penh where some of the ruling class lives, forcibly evicting them and setting the workers in there instead, getting them properly fed and rested.

At the time of the report, troops have surrounded the enclave, and at the moment it's a bit of a seige, as they can't make it past his psychic defenses but he can't really get out, either.

Wow, only an American. What does he think this is going to accomplish? As soon as he leaves things'll just go back to normal, except the people he's trying to save who co-operated with him will probably have a lot of more powerful people mad at them... like their bosses, or the guys whose houses he took over. All that he's doing is making himself feel like a hero.

Assuming I heard about it, I would probably end up talking about this in the dining hall or possibly one of the forums I go on, because it provokes bitterness in me.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 1:15 pm

I would look it up more, so I have more of an idea of what's going on, then probably have a similar reaction to Saeku. Stupid Yank's not going to accomplish anything but getting himself killed and making everything in the region a whole lot worse, and honestly? I'd probably root for the soldiers that've got him under siege.
Back to top Go down
Generic Thirteen

Generic Thirteen

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 3:54 pm

KGarrett wrote:
I would look it up more, so I have more of an idea of what's going on, then probably have a similar reaction to Saeku. Stupid Yank's not going to accomplish anything but getting himself killed and making everything in the region a whole lot worse, and honestly? I'd probably root for the soldiers that've got him under siege.

This. I'd probably give a thought to why the government isn't bringing any supers from that area or the surrounding areas to help out the soldiers, if there are any. I'd read the thread on WGW or where ever I first saw it. Then I'd drink some tea, and go about my day, forgetting about it till I checked the news thread again.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:43 pm

I think I might decry this as overall pretty damn dumb, and say something along the lines of, "I'm glad these people are getting some sort of help, but this isn't what they need. The only positive in this is that maybe now the gubbmint will take some action to help them, since it's clear they need some aid and we've been neglecting them."

Well... not that eloquently, but you get the picture.
Back to top Go down
Thanos6
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Thanos6

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Good, good...really liking all these reactions.

Scenario #2:

On the news later that day/the next day, update: the "Yank" has discovered that a lot of the workers he has with him are related to many of the soldiers surrounding them. Using his telepathy to speak in Khmer, he takes advantage of these family ties and delivers a speech to the sieging forces. Enough of the troops switch sides that the siege breaks, and he's able to burst out, battling and defeating the forces. He, the workers, and the defected troops arm themselves with the weaponry, then begin what could almost be defined as a blitzkrieg, or perhaps "island-hopping": they rush one sweatshop, free it, use the additional manpower and resources gained to take the next one in line even faster, rinse and repeat. Even as you read/hear the report, he's cutting a swathe through the country.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 10:31 pm

Okay, so what are the negatives of this? Why aren't other supers getting involved?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You are all my subjects now!   You are all my subjects now! Empty

Back to top Go down

You are all my subjects now!
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: New Releases-
Jump to: