Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire Empty
PostSubject: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:55 pm

I actually think this is pretty funny, but the NZ Branch of the Catholic Church is not amused:

God Is a Hard Act to Follow

Quote :
A billboard sponsored by a local Anglican church that shows Joseph and Mary in bed has set tongues wagging in New Zealand, with the Catholic Church condemning it as others found it funny.

The controversial billboard, erected by St Matthew-in-the-City Church in Auckland, shows a dejected-looking Joseph under bedcovers beside a sad Mary. Underneath the image, a caption reads: "Poor Joseph. God is a hard act to follow."

I find myself wanting to contact this chap and tell him Mary wasn't impregnated by God, she was impregnated by the Holy Spirit, which is a whole nother matter. Still, I
suppose that would be nitpicking.

Quote :
The billboard has so far drawn the ire of the Catholic Church in New Zealand, which called it "inappropriate" and "disrespectful." It was also condemned as offensive by family values group Family First.

Anyone surprised by this has obviously not been paying attention the last 500 years

Quote :
"The church can have its debate on the Virgin birth and its spiritual significance inside the church building, but to confront children and families with the concept as a street billboard is completely irresponsible and unnecessary," Family First director Bob McCoskrie told news website stuff.co.nz.

I'd assumed they'd already taught their children that Jesus was fathered by a part of the triune God? How is reminding them that Joseph went ahead and wed Mary, despite knowing he wasn't Jesus's actual father, irresponsible? He could've easily accused her of adultery and had her stoned. By marrying her, he was essentially saying the child was his and they'd had sex before marriage, which people took a LOT more seriously back then.

Oh religion, why do you have to be so lulzy hidebound?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 8:28 pm

I loled at this. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Actually, I once asked my sister, who is a minister, if she thought Jesus was really born to a virgin. She said she didn't think so, because it was physically impossible, but what she thought happened instead was that Joseph was Jesus' father, and Jesus was conceived in a pre-marriage ritual.

Doesn't make Jesus any less of a revolutionary religious figure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 3:49 am

Why are Catholics so persistently not fun?
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 5:32 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
Mary wasn't impregnated by God, she was impregnated by the Holy Spirit, which is a whole nother matter.

...no, it's not.
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
ZoZo

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:02 am

The God/Holy Spirit thing: I'd liken it to the difference between boning Miley Cyrus or Hannah Montana. They're the same person, but different, and you're probably going to be happy either way.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:05 am

Coincidentally, "Wiley Miley" is a running gag between some people at work.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 10:29 am

Penguin wrote:
What does Wiley Miley mean?
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 6:55 pm

ZoZo wrote:
Why are Catholics so persistently not fun?

I dunno. I think it has something to do with belonging to a church that pretty much dictates every single thing you do from the moment of your birth.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman
InkWeaver

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 10:16 pm

Good goddamn, religion, loosen the fuck up.

(heh, I made a funny)
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 8:12 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Penguin wrote:
What does Wiley Miley mean?

Vague sexual connotations?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire   Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire Empty

Back to top Go down

Biblical Bedroom Billboard Rouses Ire
Page 1 of 1