Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Twilight: The Death of Feminism

Go down 
+116
Merrrrrr
Drabbler
mluckw
WD40
alexis
PendragonGirl
Lurv
Adagio
kelley28
Aggie
Kirby
theromangeneral
SirDixonDongs
Raine
Xervexagon
DarthDarthington
KeyserSoze
Jesus.
Reidmar
TheHedonist
Kitbug
Yorokobi
Glen
Shingzyl
Mr.Doobie
Spooky
Sarin
Sheba
Cyberwulf
Sutremaine
Obskeree
Mikey Go WOOGA
Jay/Cris
frostflowers
Bamshalam
Knight
Nevvy
Mafiosa
Anon_Lurker
Little Egypt
Exodia's Right Leg
Braigwen
kleine_kat
Reepicheep-chan
Spotts1701
Snoof
Notomys mordax
Mr. Comic Book
Yattara
Dr. Professor Science
Q
Kevin M
Jocelyn
EileenK98
Princess Muse
Manny
Tungsten Monk
grmblfjx
moonyprof
Cactus Wren
Waffles
The Unoriginal
InkWeaver
I_Lam_Edhellen
Chaltab
gaijinguy
KGarrett
Avari
Dick Powers
Penguin
Seule
Mae Bedlam
DaiLinn
Miss Prince
Psy-4
Saleha
Tillian
szaleniec
unskilled78
bad_idea_bear
ZoZo
NastyHobbitses
Ceres
SokMunkie
Blooferlady
Fairlight
Pixi
fishstickhater
Snake Bandage
Deutschtard
Chris91
VB
Somath Cegem
KelinciHutan
anangrychocobo
Keith Fraser
Narwhal
Anathema
Verandering
Lexin
Salamas
Inciter
Sparrow
Root Admin
theweirdkind
Solitia
rae
DeeDee
Lapin
Nurvingiel
Rabid Badger
Maximilia
myeerah
Trioculus
Miss Misery
Lysander
120 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Saleha
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Saleha

Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:26 pm

In other news: Virulent anti-Twihardism now plumbing depths unknown even to Twitards.
Back to top Go down
http://diva-urd.livejournal.com/
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 1:47 pm

Saleha wrote:
In other news: Virulent anti-Twihardism now plumbing depths unknown even to Twitards.

The people from Twlightsucks are fucking idiots.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:22 pm

Tangentially related: Twilight backlash is sexist.

After reading, I begin to think that the author has a point.
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Mafiosa wrote:
Saleha wrote:

Not really too terribly surprised by that, actually. But why must 5% of the people who dislike Twilight ruin the hatedom for the other 95% of us?
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Spotts1701 wrote:
Mafiosa wrote:
Saleha wrote:

Not really too terribly surprised by that, actually. But why must 5% of the people who dislike Twilight ruin the hatedom for the other 95% of us?

I like these posts:

Quote :
Guys and girls alike, especially at the teenage age can be extremely dramatic. I think girls are worse though. The whole my clothing is better than yours, and her make up makes her look like a whore (Yes, I've heard that before), and did you just look at my boyfriend? [insert z formation finger snap] It makes me laugh, some of the things people fight over. Just the other day two girls on my track team were fighting over whose track shoes were better. Does it really matter that much? You're going to run in them and get them dirty anyways. Why is it so important that your shoes cost $30 more than hers?

YEAH ONLY THOSE DUMB BITCHES LIKE THAT SEXIST BOOK

Quote :
To aire is human, to forgive divine.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU-

Myeerah- the author of that article doesn't seem to realize the loudest and, I'm guessing, biggest group of Twilight haters are from the same age group and gender of the fans.

Quote :
It propagates the stereotype of teen girls as hysterical, empty-headed, and ridiculous.

Then maybe this fanbase should stop presenting itself as such if it's afraid of that association.

Quote :
Fans of Star Wars, Star Trek, X-Men, and Harry Potter are seen as dorks at worst, participants in era-defining cultural phenomena at best. Not so for Twilight fans. What sets Twilight apart from Marvel comics? The answer is fairly obvious, and it's not -- as geeks and feminists might hope -- the quality of the books or movies. It's the number of boys in the fan base.

Grinding teeth now.

Quote :
(In regards to SM's primarily female fanbase as opposed to JK Rowling's mixed fanbase) If you want to matter, though, apparently you need boys.

THE IRONY
IT'S KILLING ME

Last edited by Mafiosa on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:00 pm

myeerah wrote:
Tangentially related: Twilight backlash is sexist.

After reading, I begin to think that the author has a point.

My only problem with that article is that it misses one big fundamental point, yes loads of men don't like twilight, either because it is a pale imitation of there childhood stories, because it's a soppy romance book or the fact that the men in it are nothing but shallow, over described meat puppets who run around after Bella all day, which can actually feel kinda insulting.
If a group don't like something they are gonna speak out against it if it confronts them. The more it does, the louder they get.

Twilight manages to alienate alot of people into the hate camp and yet it is fucking everywhere, you can't move for it in some places, I go into the only two comic shops within 30 miles of me and it's right there in front of me. People are gonna backlash and they are gonna back lash hard.
I do agree that Harry Potter could have easily fallen into this trap if it hadn't had the appeal to both genders, as could have a few other works.
Just don't be surprised that when boys go to the shelf where there was once a Megatron or a Stormtrooper and now there is a moody sparkle-vamp staring down at him, he gets very pissed off.
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Quote :
The third film adaptation of the Twilight series, Eclipse, will be helmed by horror director David Slade, who has made such movies as Hard Candy and Thirty Days of Night.

DAVID SLADE NOOOO WTF ARE YOU DOING
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:

My only problem with that article is that it misses one big fundamental point, yes loads of men don't like twilight, either because it is a pale imitation of there childhood stories, because it's a soppy romance book or the fact that the men in it are nothing but shallow, over described meat puppets who run around after Bella all day, which can actually feel kinda insulting.
If a group don't like something they are gonna speak out against it if it confronts them. The more it does, the louder they get.

Well, I don't particularly like Twilight, but I'm not a rabid hater. I have a 16 year old cousin who is obsessed with the series, saw Twilight 21 times in the theater, saw New Moon four times so far, and her bedroom is covered in Twilight memorabilia. I was talking to my mom about the social ramifications of Twilight- which was mostly "why do girls want their men to watch them sleep?" and she admitted she found it quite creepy herself, but then went on to add that there is a whole genre of that stuff called Harlequin Romance, and that while it's creepy to read about, hopefully it remains a fantasy. It's just a book and it should stay that way.

I agree that the article has a point though- think about it- in this world where a person is rewarded for being a typical "knockout", having Bella appear "average" really seems empowering. It's mainstream, and it's new. Too bad there have been better examples: Hermione Granger, Kathryn Janeway (yeah, I know she's nuts but cooler than Bella, come on), Uhura, Princess Leia, and I can go on and on. Good characters are supposed to eliminate that underlying current that gender makes the character. Good characterization makes the character and Bella, frankly, is not a good character. Neither are Edward, Jacob et al. But still, if something like this is popular we have to peel back and find the exact social reason why. And being comfortable does not necessarily mean that they go around having sex with everything, or exhibiting typical social behavior that just screams that they're easy. It's more about being comfortable about who you are as a person, and Bella would be uncomfortable no matter what she was wearing- insecure people have loads of sex too.
There'd be no wank about whether Spock/Uhura was empowering or not. For fuck's sake. Maybe a bit out of character, but then again don't go into how it was empowering or objectifying. People choose to do what they fucking choose to do. What kind of tool goes by what society wants them to do?
OH I KNOW 90% OF PEOPLE IN REAL LIFE --- brb trying to stuff myself into a box for you all

Why is this character popular and relatable when there are so many female characters who kick ass? Because Bella is, you have to admit, not sexualized as much. Teenagers are awkward about sex- someone like Princess Leia seems a lot more comfortable with her sexuality so awkward teens can't relate. And all these other characters are no longer "in" or cool. How many series are written by women in the first place? But then, how many people can adopt a female pen-name just to attract readers who are hung up on that? It's all image, no substance. It's pushed more on the social undertones as opposed to the story itself. Think about it- if our culture wasn't so uptight about sex, and/or using sex to say I AM EMPOWERED (which is both bad in my opinion), characters like this WOULDN'T be relatable.

I do hope she outgrows it, but then, everyone has their own interests. And in the end, it's all fiction. There's trash for every generation. This is the big one for our time, and think about it- if the inequalities that exist now didn't exist, would a character like Bella even be popular among its target demographic? No.

Quote :
Twilight manages to alienate alot of people into the hate camp and yet it is fucking everywhere, you can't move for it in some places, I go into the only two comic shops within 30 miles of me and it's right there in front of me. People are gonna backlash and they are gonna back lash hard.

But on the other side of the coin, where is the backlash when a character is oversexualized? Sure, I hate Twilight but I feel bad that while they say it takes all kinds to make the world go round, they only mean the fap-fantasies of us straight guys. Know what I mean? I went to a comic shop to look for some female action figures to put in my project, and aside from Bella, there wasn't any that didn't have DD breasts. Imagine being a girl walking into the store, and feeling as if you only exist to be ogled at because these characters don't represent you at all. (that's assuming you're straight) While Lara Croft and Ivy, and Leia in her slave uniform are great and all, you're not them- you're more like Daria. (Daria being more awesome than Bella, but catch my drift here). And really, how many male action figures are sexualized? None that I saw in the shop were. It's straight guy land in there. Having Bella in there seems off, yes, but think about it-

if these kids come in the comic shops and see all the other stuff, they might buy it too, and contribute more to those other fandoms than has been touched upon in ages. They might result in some changes in Marvel and DC- after realizing that Twilight is fucked up. Who knows, they might- improve the fandoms. They've been stagnant since before I was born, likely longer.

Quote :
I do agree that Harry Potter could have easily fallen into this trap if it hadn't had the appeal to both genders, as could have a few other works.
True, and that's why Hermione remains a better role model, I think.

Quote :
Just don't be surprised that when boys go to the shelf where there was once a Megatron or a Stormtrooper and now there is a moody sparkle-vamp staring down at him, he gets very pissed off.

And girls have likely been mad that this whole time, there were never any female action figures of note in the aisles with awesome toys.

Just sayin'.

Last edited by Nihilist on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:43 pm

And completely irrelevant to that and not contributing to the discussion, I wanted to show you all this.

Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 309696
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:51 pm

Nihilist wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:

Well, I don't particularly like Twilight, but I'm not a rabid hater. I have a 16 year old cousin who is obsessed with the series, saw Twilight 21 times in the theater, saw New Moon four times so far, and her bedroom is covered in Twilight memorabilia. I was talking to my mom about the social ramifications of Twilight- which was mostly "why do girls want their men to watch them sleep?" and she admitted she found it quite creepy herself, but then went on to add that there is a whole genre of that stuff called Harlequin Romance, and that while it's creepy to read about, hopefully it remains a fantasy. It's just a book and it should stay that way.

I agree that the article has a point though- think about it- in this world where a person is rewarded for being a typical "knockout", having Bella appear "average" really seems empowering. It's mainstream, and it's new. Too bad there have been better examples: Hermione Granger, Kathryn Janeway (yeah, I know she's nuts but cooler than Bella, come on), Uhura, Princess Leia, and I can go on and on. Good characters are supposed to eliminate that underlying current that gender makes the character. Good characterization makes the character and Bella, frankly, is not a good character. Neither are Edward, Jacob et al. But still, if something like this is popular we have to peel back and find the exact social reason why. And being comfortable does not necessarily mean that they go around having sex with everything, or exhibiting typical social behavior that just screams that they're easy. It's more about being comfortable about who you are as a person, and Bella would be uncomfortable no matter what she was wearing- insecure people have loads of sex too.

Why is this character popular and relatable when there are so many female characters who kick ass? Because Bella is, you have to admit, not sexualized as much. Teenagers are awkward about sex- someone like Princess Leia seems a lot more comfortable with her sexuality so awkward teens can't relate. And all these other characters are no longer "in" or cool. How many series are written by women in the first place? But then, how many people can adopt a female pen-name just to attract readers who are hung up on that? It's all image, no substance. It's pushed more on the social undertones as opposed to the story itself.

I do hope she outgrows it, but then, everyone has their own interests. And in the end, it's all fiction. There's trash for every generation. This is the big one for our time, and think about it- if the inequalities that exist now didn't exist, would a character like Bella even be popular among its target demographic? No.
Going back to Harry Potter, I used to love it, read all the books, knew them in and out and could quote it from memory if asked, but I didn't, kept my head down, didn't shove what I knew other people wouldn't like in other peoples faces and if somebody put the series down I kept my mouth shut because there opinion had 0% impact on my enjoyment of the book.
I really really thing I wouldn't mind twilight anywhere near as much if the world didn't seem to be shoving it in my face the entire time.

Quote :
Quote :

But on the other side of the coin, where is the backlash when a character is oversexualized? Sure, I hate Twilight but I feel bad that while they say it takes all kinds to make the world go round, they only mean the fap-fantasies of us straight guys. Know what I mean? I went to a comic shop to look for some female action figures to put in my project, and aside from Bella, there wasn't any that didn't have DD breasts. Imagine being a girl walking into the store, and feeling as if you only exist to be ogled at because these characters don't represent you at all. While Lara Croft and Ivy, and Leia in her slave uniform are great and all, you're not them- you're more like Daria. (Daria being more awesome than Bella, but catch my drift here). And really, how many male action figures are sexualized? None that I saw in the shop were.
I think I can answer that easily, how many men do you think there are that are pathetic enough to buy female action figures just cause they are sexualised.
Now, how many women do you think there are that are pathetic enough to buy male action figures just cause they are sexualised.
I'm willing to bet the ratio is massively gender skewed to the male side.

Quote :
Quote :

And girls have likely been mad that this whole time, there were never any female action figures of note in the aisles with awesome toys.

Just sayin'.
Flipping what I said , and I know I'm prolly gonna go to hell for this, young girl goes to get a new My little pony and they've all got rocket launchers strapped to their backs, cue anger, from my view that's pretty much the standard.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Dr. Professor Science wrote:
And completely irrelevant to that and not contributing to the discussion, I wanted to show you all this.

If you actually look, almost every comment is swung towards [Your life is TOO Twilight] GMH
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Quote :
Why is this character popular and relatable when there are so many female characters who kick ass?

Because Bella is a blank slate for the reader to project themselves. She's not "relate-able" so much as she is an avatar for the reader in this fantasy world.

Quote :

The Justice League Unlimited lines of action figures always included quite a few females, Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman, Stargirl and Black Canary and other DC lines would included Barbara Gordon.

e: And that doesn't even cover the villains.

Quote :
Imagine being a girl walking into the store, and feeling as if you only exist to be ogled at because these characters don't represent you at all.

This may surprise some of you but there are some men who...ACTUALLY LIKE FEMALE SUPERHEROES FOR THEIR PERSONALITY AND NOT THEIR TITS. :aaa: Squirrel Girl and, shockingly, Power Girl are good examples of this. Not all male comic book readers think that women are shit and any store that projects that image is a poor store indeed.

My store has a Yotsuba toy. :3

The sexualization of women in comic books is another kettle of fucked up fish, but the you can't claim that Bella is "average" and not sexual, despite SM's attempts i.e. typing out "she is average", when she has men throwing themselves at her left and right.
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:08 pm

I see what you mean, Mafi. If the coolest example of a female action figure is Bella, then I'm going back to that bad-fucking-ass store that had (albeit old) toys of life-sized storm, 12" Dr. Crusher, etc. It was just a rambley observation.

And yeah, I fail at trying to relate to angsty teenage girls despite feeling terrible that my cousin likes such a shitty series. Eh, it doesn't matter anyway. I just hope she goes into a comic shop and ends up being a fan of something better.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Hello almost every female character in mainstream, non "chick-flick" movies!

Nihilist wrote:
But on the other side of the coin, where is the backlash when a character is oversexualized? Sure, I hate Twilight but I feel bad that while they say it takes all kinds to make the world go round, they only mean the fap-fantasies of us straight guys. Know what I mean? I went to a comic shop to look for some female action figures to put in my project, and aside from Bella, there wasn't any that didn't have DD breasts. Imagine being a girl walking into the store, and feeling as if you only exist to be ogled at because these characters don't represent you at all. (that's assuming you're straight) While Lara Croft and Ivy, and Leia in her slave uniform are great and all, you're not them- you're more like Daria. (Daria being more awesome than Bella, but catch my drift here). And really, how many male action figures are sexualized? None that I saw in the shop were. It's straight guy land in there. Having Bella in there seems off, yes, but think about it-

if these kids come in the comic shops and see all the other stuff, they might buy it too, and contribute more to those other fandoms than has been touched upon in ages. They might result in some changes in Marvel and DC- after realizing that Twilight is fucked up. Who knows, they might- improve the fandoms. They've been stagnant since before I was born, likely longer.

[...]

Quote :

Just sayin'.
Yes, this.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Nihilist wrote:
I see what you mean, Mafi. If the coolest example of a female action figure is Bella, then I'm going back to that bad-fucking-ass store that had (albeit old) toys of life-sized storm, 12" Dr. Crusher, etc. It was just a rambley observation.

And yeah, I fail at trying to relate to angsty teenage girls despite feeling terrible that my cousin likes such a shitty series.

Being an ex-angsty teenage girl, I have some terrifying insight. :eng99:
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Doc, please read before you post. If you went through the past page or so, you would've seen that I already posted this.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:
Hello almost every female character in mainstream, non "chick-flick" movies.
So Eowyn, The Stark Women, Bequin are not strong well written women who are not sexualized any more than the men in the books in which they are found, good to know I've been reading them wrong the whole time.
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:
Hello almost every female character in mainstream, non "chick-flick" movies.
So Eowyn, The Stark Women, Bequin are not strong well written women who are not sexualized any more than the men in the books in which they are found, good to know I've been reading them wrong the whole time.
1. I said movies.

2. Okay, that's an exaggeration. My point is, in a lot of mainstream movies, the female characters are ultimately there as love interests/prizes for the male heroes. Things are getting better, but slowly. Eowyn was ahead of her time, but even she was married off at the end.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:43 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
My point is, in a lot of mainstream movies, the female characters are ultimately there as love interests/prizes for the male heroes.
And in most chick flicks, the male characters are ultimately there as love interests/prizes for the female heroines, so it all evens out.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
1. I said movies.
But Twilight is a book

Cyberwulf wrote:
2. Okay, that's an exaggeration. My point is, in a lot of mainstream movies, the female characters are ultimately there as love interests/prizes for the male heroes. Things are getting better, but slowly. Eowyn was ahead of her time, but even she was married off at the end.

Yes, Killing off the second biggest fuck in the book and then snagging herself a man who loves her after maturely moving on from her crush of Arogorn, such a bad bad thing.
Yeah these days some women are there as obligatory love interests, but seeing in those movies nobody else get much more development than "He will explode" "These are the kids" "He will see it coming and nobody will believe him" are you really surprised?
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Eowyn was ahead of her time, but even she was married off at the end.
Yes, Killing off the second biggest fuck in the book and then snagging herself a man who loves her after maturely moving on from her crush of Arogorn, such a bad bad thing.
*facepalm*

You don't understand at all, do you? Even in stories that are supposedly about women and for women, the best outcome for a woman is always, ALWAYS, landing herself a nice man because she's incomplete without one. Doesn't matter what else she's got going for her, without a man her life is empty and hollow. It's not just Eowyn, it's a depressing number of female protagonists.
Back to top Go down
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:06 pm

Cyberwulf wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
*facepalm*

You don't understand at all, do you? Even in stories that are supposedly about women and for women, the best outcome for a woman is always, ALWAYS, landing herself a nice man because she's incomplete without one. Doesn't matter what else she's got going for her, without a man her life is empty and hollow. It's not just Eowyn, it's a depressing number of female protagonists.
Oh.

So me wanting to end up married is a bad thing?
Back to top Go down
Cyberwulf
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Cyberwulf

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:13 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
Somath Cegem wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
*facepalm*

Oh.

So me wanted to end up married is a bad thing?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There's no point even trying to explain this, is there?
Back to top Go down
Mae Bedlam
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Mae Bedlam

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Psy-4 wrote:
Cyberwulf wrote:
My point is, in a lot of mainstream movies, the female characters are ultimately there as love interests/prizes for the male heroes.
And in most chick flicks, the male characters are ultimately there as love interests/prizes for the female heroines, so it all evens out.
Except that the vast majority of chick flicks drive home the point that a woman just isn't complete without the true love of a ~man~

Way to go, 27 Dresses, for showing us that the worst thing that can ever happen to a woman is to not marry.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:22 pm

theweirdkind wrote:

Doc, please read before you post. If you went through the past page or so, you would've seen that I already posted this.
Oh yeah? Well, you need to stop posting the links I show you before I do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Twilight: The Death of Feminism
Page 14 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 24  Next