Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Twilight: The Death of Feminism

Go down 
+116
Merrrrrr
Drabbler
mluckw
WD40
alexis
PendragonGirl
Lurv
Adagio
kelley28
Aggie
Kirby
theromangeneral
SirDixonDongs
Raine
Xervexagon
DarthDarthington
KeyserSoze
Jesus.
Reidmar
TheHedonist
Kitbug
Yorokobi
Glen
Shingzyl
Mr.Doobie
Spooky
Sarin
Sheba
Cyberwulf
Sutremaine
Obskeree
Mikey Go WOOGA
Jay/Cris
frostflowers
Bamshalam
Knight
Nevvy
Mafiosa
Anon_Lurker
Little Egypt
Exodia's Right Leg
Braigwen
kleine_kat
Reepicheep-chan
Spotts1701
Snoof
Notomys mordax
Mr. Comic Book
Yattara
Dr. Professor Science
Q
Kevin M
Jocelyn
EileenK98
Princess Muse
Manny
Tungsten Monk
grmblfjx
moonyprof
Cactus Wren
Waffles
The Unoriginal
InkWeaver
I_Lam_Edhellen
Chaltab
gaijinguy
KGarrett
Avari
Dick Powers
Penguin
Seule
Mae Bedlam
DaiLinn
Miss Prince
Psy-4
Saleha
Tillian
szaleniec
unskilled78
bad_idea_bear
ZoZo
NastyHobbitses
Ceres
SokMunkie
Blooferlady
Fairlight
Pixi
fishstickhater
Snake Bandage
Deutschtard
Chris91
VB
Somath Cegem
KelinciHutan
anangrychocobo
Keith Fraser
Narwhal
Anathema
Verandering
Lexin
Salamas
Inciter
Sparrow
Root Admin
theweirdkind
Solitia
rae
DeeDee
Lapin
Nurvingiel
Rabid Badger
Maximilia
myeerah
Trioculus
Miss Misery
Lysander
120 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Knight
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Knight

Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 11:01 am

Wait... She has a problem with how the Princess Bride portrays love? Let's do a little review shall we:

Buttercup and Westley know each other for a good while and truly fall in love.

Edward and Bella know each other for a few weeks and "truly fall in love". (Read: She wants to get in his pants and he wants to get in her veins.)

Westley leaves to earn money so that he and Buttercup can have a better life. Butterup gets along fine until he is reported dead, she mourns deeply.

Edward leaves Bella to "protect her" and she goes into a depressed ball because the man she likes doesn't like her anymore.

Westley goes on living under the Dread Pirate Roberts, eventually becoming Roberts himself, and works to find the love of his life.

Edward goes to commit suicide by sparkle.

Buttercup, when confronted with the man that killed the one she loves shoves him down a very large and very rocky hill.

Bella goes nuts and thinks she sees Edward's face when whenever she is in danger. So she tries to kill herself just to see his face again.

Now tell me folks, which of these relationships really sounds like the codependent "can't live without him/her" one?
Back to top Go down
Bamshalam
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Bamshalam

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 11:02 am

Sorry kid. Bella sucks, but so does Buttercup.
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Fairlight

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 11:56 am

Knight wrote:
Now tell me folks, which of these relationships really sounds like the codependent "can't live without him/her" one?
Why are you telling us that? We already know, it's Stephenie Meyer who doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 10:10 am

Bamshalam wrote:

Perhaps, but it's like comparing a worn-out handheld vacuum cleaner to a black hole.
Back to top Go down
Knight
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 10:15 am

Bamshalam wrote:

My point wasn't really whether or not Buttercup "sucks", it was simply that Westley and Buttercup both proved themselves to be able to get by without the other, even while still loving each other. Yes Buttercup crashed when she learned that the love of her life had died, but then again, don't most people?
Back to top Go down
Maximilia
My spoon is too big.
My spoon is too big.
Maximilia

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 10:35 am

S. Meyer wrote:
When I was in college I wrote a l paper from a feminist perspective (it’s an easy way to write) on the princess bride so I am little biased. The problem I have with Westley and Buttercup is Buttercup is an idiot and it doesn’t bother anyone, all that matters is that she’s beautiful, that is her only value.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Pot calling the kettle black? Like Bella has any intrinsic value in the Twilight series other than to be the one the vampire & werewolf fight over? And why? Just because she's THAT SPESHUL.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Professor Science
Ghoti
Ghoti
Dr. Professor Science

Location : One of the guys with the giant papier-mâché dongs in Lysistrata

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:29 am

... you guys are talking about The Princess Bride as if it isn't a parody. Stop it.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Quote :
Elizabeth Bennet and Mr.Darcy’s it’s pretty good, except you should think that if either one of them dies the other one will carry on bravely

This dumb bitch just compared her trivial BS to one of the most famous romances and claimed hers was better.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
That is all. Rest assured, I will take the assault charge if it means I get to do it in real life.

Quote :
And Anna (?) Of Green Gables and Gilbert Blythe (Anna dai capelli rossi), but they are much more like Jacob and Bella, they’re friend they get the nerves of each other a lot. I didn’t find out yet a Bella and Edward love story that really satisfied me that way.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] She...she just compared herself to Anne of Green Gables and she couldn't be bothered to remember her name. She just compared her characters to some of my beloved characters of childhood.

First she dares sully Austen's name then she hurts my childhood. I need to meet this dumb fucking bitch. So that I can hurt her.
Back to top Go down
frostflowers
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
frostflowers

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 2:39 pm

I love how she seems to think that Twilight is in any way feminist, or expresses feminist views. All it really does is tell us that all teenage girls want or need in life is a man. Preferably an abusive man who runs off and leaves you at the first sign of potential trouble and/or commitment.

Oh, Smeyer, you make me lol so hard, and I haven't even read the books or seen the movie.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 10:53 am

That's exactly it. It's the same pop culture bullshit that's been foisted on everyone for years. EVERYTHING MUST BE LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT! MAKE OUT WITH YOUR SO AGAINST THE LOCKERS AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY SO EVERYONE CAN SEE HOW SERIOUS AND IN LUUUV YOU ARE!

Fucking ABC TGIF bullshit.
Back to top Go down
Jay/Cris
The Word Police
The Word Police
Jay/Cris

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Nevvy wrote:
Saleha wrote:
Actually, it was Meyer herself who felt she had to compare herself to, y'know, good fiction.
I say it's high time someone pooled resources and took a hit out on her ego. I doubt we could take her on herself - her ego fills cathedrals and would probably shield her.

Oookay, I think we can safely conclude that anyone who writes about vampires and sex automatically gains a 500% ego/nutiness increase at the least.

Joss Whedon would like to have word with you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.crisiks.livejournal.com
Somath Cegem
Wonderfully English
Wonderfully English
Somath Cegem

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 6:15 pm

Jay/Cris wrote:
Nevvy wrote:
Saleha wrote:
Actually, it was Meyer herself who felt she had to compare herself to, y'know, good fiction.
I say it's high time someone pooled resources and took a hit out on her ego. I doubt we could take her on herself - her ego fills cathedrals and would probably shield her.

Oookay, I think we can safely conclude that anyone who writes about vampires and sex automatically gains a 500% ego/nutiness increase at the least.

Say what you will Jay but Joss is a nut bar, we love him for it, but still a nut bar.
Back to top Go down
Jocelyn

Jocelyn

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 pm

Somath Cegem wrote:
Jay/Cris wrote:
Nevvy wrote:
Saleha wrote:

Say what you will Jay but Joss is a nut bar, we love him for it, but still a nut bar.

He is NOT!

... He's a fruity oaty bar.
Back to top Go down
http://jocelyncs.livejournal.com
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:25 pm

Dumb Fat Whore wrote:
When I was in college I wrote a l paper from a feminist perspective (it’s an easy way to write) on the princess bride so I am little biased. The problem I have with Westley and Buttercup is Buttercup is an idiot and it doesn’t bother anyone, all that matters is that she’s beautiful, that is her only value.

Uh...

Was there a single character in that movie/book, besides MAYBE Wesley, who wasn't a lunatic or moron? scratch
Back to top Go down
Narwhal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Narwhal

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 8:09 am

That's like writing a paper on elements of horror in the Scary Movie series! It's a fucking parody!
Back to top Go down
kleine_kat
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
kleine_kat

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 am

Mr. Comic Book wrote:
Yattara wrote:
Mr. Comic Book wrote:
Quote :
"Old German guy who complained about Hugh Jackman the entire time"

Dutch, actually.

Thanks. I was trying to place that reference.

I think he can sound German because of syntax. In the book, his English wasn't perfect, as I recall. It's been a while.

His English in the book is broken, yes. That's something that ALWAYS gets scrapped in the adaptations. And not without good reason; it would come off as ridiculous anywhere other than the printed page.

Somehow every single moviemaker and actor seems to think a Dutch accent is impossible to recreate. It isn't. It's really easy. And there are SO MANY Dutch people who speak SUCH HORRIBLE English. Just watch tapes of our Prime Minister suck up to try to address Bush and hey presto, instant unmistakable disgusting Dutch accent.

This is a bit of a pet pieve of mine, really. Why can't anyone be arsed to do some research and listen to what a Dutch accent really sounds like? :redangry: If you can be bothered to look up that itty bitty country and actually have people in your story/movie/series originate from Holland, you can track down a Dutchman and laugh at their accents. We don't sound like Germans! And we certainly don't sound like the French! Nope, we don't sound like the South Africans either.

It's the same with German words, though. For English-speaking people it apparently is SO BLEEDING HARD to pronounce the name Bernstein as Burnstaain. They always turn it into Burnsteen. This is wrong. Wrong, I tell you!

Ahem. Ok, that's all for now. Nothing personal, Mr Book sir, just the aforementioned pet pieve.
Back to top Go down
Obskeree

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 3:59 am

/lurk

After a quick check through the thread I didn't see this anywhere and it seems relevant: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It looks to be a beautiful thing, but I haven't read it so I can't really comment more than that.

Make of it what you will~

*goes back to lurking*
Back to top Go down
Yattara
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Yattara

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptyFri Dec 04, 2009 7:26 am

kleine_kat wrote:
Mr. Comic Book wrote:
Yattara wrote:
Mr. Comic Book wrote:
Quote :

Dutch, actually.

I think he can sound German because of syntax. In the book, his English wasn't perfect, as I recall. It's been a while.

His English in the book is broken, yes. That's something that ALWAYS gets scrapped in the adaptations. And not without good reason; it would come off as ridiculous anywhere other than the printed page.

Somehow every single moviemaker and actor seems to think a Dutch accent is impossible to recreate. It isn't. It's really easy. And there are SO MANY Dutch people who speak SUCH HORRIBLE English. Just watch tapes of our Prime Minister suck up to try to address Bush and hey presto, instant unmistakable disgusting Dutch accent.
It's not fair to bring our PM into this: it's not like he can speak Dutch well, either.

For a country that prides itself on being able to speak English well, in reality we are pretty horrible at it. It really wouldn't be hard to get an English-with-a-Dutch-accent person on tv. Just look at the latest commercial Eneco has put out.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 6:15 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Twilight over, EJO = Very Yes.
Back to top Go down
Exodia's Right Leg
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Exodia's Right Leg

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 8:54 am

kleine_kat wrote:
Mr. Comic Book wrote:
Yattara wrote:
Mr. Comic Book wrote:
Quote :

Dutch, actually.

This is a bit of a pet pieve of mine, really. Why can't anyone be arsed to do some research and listen to what a Dutch accent really sounds like? :redangry: If you can be bothered to look up that itty bitty country and actually have people in your story/movie/series originate from Holland, you can track down a Dutchman and laugh at their accents. We don't sound like Germans! And we certainly don't sound like the French! Nope, we don't sound like the South Africans either.

It's the same with German words, though. For English-speaking people it apparently is SO BLEEDING HARD to pronounce the name Bernstein as Burnstaain. They always turn it into Burnsteen. This is wrong. Wrong, I tell you!

Ahem. Ok, that's all for now. Nothing personal, Mr Book sir, just the aforementioned pet pieve.
The US movie/commercial industry is pretty weird in general. To them, a Swedish accent sounds more German than a proper German one.
Back to top Go down
Yattara
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Yattara

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 9:03 am

Penguin wrote:

He is the main reason I kept watching Miami Vice back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Yattara wrote:
Penguin wrote:

He is the main reason I kept watching Miami Vice back in the day.

Same here. Man could pack more of a performance into a sentence or two than Sonny and Rico could into an entire show. Still can, for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 7:11 pm

Exodia's Right Leg wrote:
kleine_kat wrote:
Mr. Comic Book wrote:
Yattara wrote:
Mr. Comic Book wrote:
Quote :

Dutch, actually.

The US movie/commercial industry is pretty weird in general. To them, a Swedish accent sounds more German than a proper German one.

This is all missing the point that we don't really give a fuck what you actually sound like. Razz
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 2:10 am

My Life is Twilight

Where a helmet if you decide to enter here. And perhaps some sunglasses as well from all of the sparkling.

Quote :
Today my husband overreacted to something to which I commented "Chillax." He glared at me and asked "Where did you pick that up from?" I just shrugged. I don't think I can admit where I picked it up from. The fifty references I make to Twilight a day are beginning to scare him.
Stephenie Meyer didn't invent the word "chillax". :bang:
Back to top Go down
Sutremaine
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Sutremaine

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 5:47 am

kleine_kat wrote:
To be slightly fair, ie vs. ei in English has so many rules and guidelines that I think it's very easy to gloss over those two letters and just read the whole word. This works fine when you know the word, not so much when you don't and it's in a language whose pronunciation doesn't match you own. (Yes, I know there are a couple of eye-ei words in English, but they're rare and isolated.)

I don't know too much about German, but I've been trying to teach myself on the side and I've had far more trouble with bleiben/geblieben than I expected.

theweirdkind wrote:
Stephenie Meyer didn't invent the word "chillax". :bang:
Who said she did? That's just where the woman picked it up from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Twilight: The Death of Feminism - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Twilight: The Death of Feminism
Page 13 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 24  Next