Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Psy-4
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40 pm

InkWeaver wrote:
You've used that before. You're getting to be old hat, Psy. =D
Fortunately, the Internet is not medical science and 'old' does not mean 'no longer applies'.

Also, there is no obligation to provide original content. :psy-4:

There is no need to come up with any different ways to say that you care about stuff that is waaay too trivial.

In an otherwise okay paragraph, you're allowed to get pissed only at its/it's, their/there/they're and your/you're.
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:12 am

Meh, I thought the image was funny; I hadn't seen you use it before, Psy-4.

And in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't picking at the poster's grammar, I was pointing out that the actual—correct—web address was misspelled. No big deal, just something that caught my eye.
Back to top Go down
InkWeaver
Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:19 am

Psy-4 wrote:
InkWeaver wrote:
Fortunately, the Internet is not medical science and 'old' does not mean 'no longer applies'.

There is no need to come up with any different ways to say that you care about stuff that is waaay too trivial.

In an otherwise okay paragraph, you're allowed to get pissed only at its/it's, their/there/they're and your/you're.

:lolinsane: <3
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:53 am

Psy-4 wrote:
InkWeaver wrote:

Ah, Psy-4, how I missed your squirmy self-justifications. When are you going to tell us about your self-insert KH2 fic again?
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:46 am

Right after I finish writing the scene where he jumps on top of a AGM-65 Maverick that was fired at him, rides it towards the F-22 that did it, flies it right past it, and sprays it with .22 LR from a Calico M100P, after which it will explode. :psy-4:

So, how about that Deadliest Warrior. Green Berets sure are inferior to Spetznaz.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:47 am

Psy-4 wrote:
Right after I finish writing the scene where he jumps on top of a AGM-65 Maverick that was fired at him, rides it towards the F-22 that did it, flies it right past it, and sprays it with .22 LR from a Calico M100P, after which it will explode. :psy-4:

F-22S DO NOT WORK THAT WAY CARRY OR FIRE MAVERICKS
Quote :
So, how about that Deadliest Warrior. Green Berets sure are inferior to Spetznaz.

Deadliest Warrior is a show about looking badass, not being badass. Case in point: BALLISTIC KNIFE HURRRR. Also, based on one guy rushing to beat another's time: The 15-shot, marginally more powerful Beretta M9 (9x18 < 9x19) was rated inferior to the antiquated, underpowered, 8-shot Makarov. Absurd.

Actually the Green Beret weapon loadout was baffling, as the lack of a Benelli M4, M1911, and proper melee weapon (yes, they carry e-tools, but that's hardly their only melee weapon) seemed there to balance the playing field. Few of the tests really made any sense, either. The American grenade was decided to be superior based on LOOKING more boomeriffic. They didn't properly test them out.

In short: It's a popcorn-and-Coke, turn-your-brain-off show.
Back to top Go down
Psy-4

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:08 am

Penguin wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Poe's Law!

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:12 am

I figured, but it's not like I have anything better to do this weekend anyway.
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Penguin wrote:
The American grenade was decided to be superior based on LOOKING more boomeriffic. They didn't properly test them out.
Do the Russians still use the can-and-stick Wehrmacht-style grenades? I always thought that the stick was a good idea to throw them further away, and wonder why the US didn't copy it.
(Not that I'm too lazy to do my research, but I wouldn't know where to look)
Back to top Go down
SokMunkie
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:08 am

The Unoriginal wrote:
Penguin wrote:
The American grenade was decided to be superior based on LOOKING more boomeriffic. They didn't properly test them out.
Do the Russians still use the can-and-stick Wehrmacht-style grenades? I always thought that the stick was a good idea to throw them further away, and wonder why the US didn't copy it.
(Not that I'm too lazy to do my research, but I wouldn't know where to look)
They tried it, but whenever they would swing back the stick to throw it, the grenade would often hit the other side of the trench before it could be released. Ooops.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:51 am

The Unoriginal wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Do the Russians still use the can-and-stick Wehrmacht-style grenades?

You mean Stielhandgrenate, or potato-mashers? Not really, no. IIRC the Russians phased them out around about the Vietnam War. They use egg-shaped grenades like the RGD-5, RGN and RGO now.

Quote :
I always thought that the stick was a good idea to throw them further away, and wonder why the US didn't copy it.

There are several reasons, although the US did try it out.

1.) They're really big. German soldiers in WW2 typically carried 1, maybe 2, if any. American soldiers had 5-6 "pineapple" grenades in a typical loadout.
2.) Your mileage may vary with the stick. It was found that you can usually throw an egg/baseball-shaped grenade farther.
3.) Practicality. The stick grenades carried twice as much explosive, but if they didn't have a heavy frag sleeve added, they were virtually useless in the open. Since the American grenades relied on fragmentation from the beginning, they got more bang for their buck, so to speak.
Back to top Go down
Inciter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:18 am

I finally read Eclipse and I have to say that it was a hell of a lot better than New Moon. However, I still had major issues with the book.

First of all, I hope Jacob dies a very, very brutal death. Twisted Evil I fucking loathe Jacob so much and I got so excited when I thought he might die. Seriously, he's whiny as fuck, annoying as fuck, and a fucking douchebag for pushing himself all over Bella when he knows that she's got a fucking life partner already. Both kissing scenes made me wanna vomit all over the book. I just wish he would get over her already so he'll shut the fuck up. I'm just crossing my fingers that he gets slaughtered in Breaking Dawn, preferably by Edward.

Next, the Victoria fight was insanely disappointing. We had three books of build-up and I was expecting an epic showdown, not her and Edward staring at each other while slowing moving around til Edward ripped her head off. I was honestly surprised when she died so quickly. It was what, half a chapter? That was bullshit.

And then there's the imprinting. Seriously, what the fuck? One of those guys imprinted on a fucking two year old. And it seemed like everyone was ok with it and that he wasn't a creepy pedophile werewolf. After reading about imprinting, I spent the rest of the book praying that Jacob wasn't going to imprint on Bella. In fact, I'm hoping that he's right and never finds someone to imprint so he'll go off and kill himself or something. I have a feeling that this imprinting thing will come up again in Breaking Dawn.

Finally, there was Bella's constant flip-flopping. Oh my god, you've already decided that you want Edward. Please quit hanging all over Jacob because that just gives him more screen-time. I'm really hoping that she gets over this shit in Breaking Dawn. And if she doesn't turn into a vampire soon, I might throw the book across the room because her whining is getting old. I don't see why marriage pisses her off so much. She wants to spend all of eternity with Edward anyway, so why won't she just marry him already? I know she said she was fine with it at the end, but I don't know if I believe that yet.

Otherwise, the book was fairly good. I liked Jasper and Rosalie's backstories the best, but a close second would be the whole proposal scene. It was surprisingly adorable, even with Bella bitching about it. I'm hoping we get the rest of the Cullen family's backstories in Breaking Dawn. I'm also hoping that Jacob won't show up in the book, but I know that won't happen because he's obsessed with Bella and won't ever leave her alone.

Once I get around to reading Breaking Dawn, I'll leave my comments on the whole series, but so far I like Twilight the best and New Moon the least.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:59 am

All I have to say is that you're in for a rude awakening if you think Breaking Dawn is going to be better.
Back to top Go down
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:03 pm

By the end of Eclipse, I was just so happy to see any climactic battle at all that I nearly shit myself with joy. Bella didn't fall unconscious, or anything!
Back to top Go down
The Unoriginal
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:22 pm

SokMunkie, Penguin, thank you very much. WGW is becoming my favourite site for reference as well. Next I'll be asking you how to refurbish home...
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Inciter wrote:

And then there's the imprinting. Seriously, what the fuck? One of those guys imprinted on a fucking two year old. And it seemed like everyone was ok with it and that he wasn't a creepy pedophile werewolf. After reading about imprinting, I spent the rest of the book praying that Jacob wasn't going to imprint on Bella. In fact, I'm hoping that he's right and never finds someone to imprint so he'll go off and kill himself or something. I have a feeling that this imprinting thing will come up again in Breaking Dawn.

Oh, you're going to have soooo much fun with Breaking Dawn.
Back to top Go down
Waffles
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:17 pm

Stephanie Mayer is truely the opposite of a feminist. Since a womyn needs a man about as much as a fish needs a bicycle, a woman needs a man who physically wants to drink her blood (as opposed to the normal male, who "just" drains her psyche.) about as much as a fish needs a pogo-stick made entirely out of Nitroglycerine.

I am bewildered that you clumsy Y-ers managed to stumble upon this truth for yourself.
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Pssst, it's not trolling when everyone agrees with you
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Everyone agrees with the Waffle person? This is news to me.
Back to top Go down
Inciter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:13 pm

Chaltab wrote:
Who's Waffle? Like, I just popped in to read some topics and saw that he/she posts on every topic about how awful men are. Is this a troll or just an annoying feminist?

Chaltab wrote:
Inciter wrote:

Oh, you're going to have soooo much fun with Breaking Dawn.
My older sister said that it's the best one, even though she doesn't like the Twilight series. My younger sister said that Breaking Dawn was better than New Moon, but she didn't think it was the best because she said that Jacob is still a stupid fucking douchebag.

And from your post, I guess that I'm right about the imprinting coming up in Breaking Dawn. Great. Dry
Back to top Go down
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Inciter wrote:
Chaltab wrote:
Who's Waffle? Like, I just popped in to read some topics and saw that he/she posts on every topic about how awful men are. Is this a troll or just an annoying feminist?

He's a troll pretending to be a straw feminist. Probably Mikey.

And he's bad at it. Saying Twilight is anti-feminist is like calling :heetlar: a racist. Nobody's going to disagree with that.
Back to top Go down
Dick Powers
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Chaltab wrote:

Do we all agree that Meyers is as far as you can get from feminism?
Back to top Go down
Lexin
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:16 pm

Sasuke's Wife wrote:
Chaltab wrote:
Pretty much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mpmrommel.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:50 am

Feminism/gender issues aside, I couldn't even get past the first half of the first book; it was just so badly written. I mean, who fucking cares that you have to "shoot down" some popups while you look at vampires on google? Honestly, who fucking cares? I tried reading it because I figured it would have been a lulzy read, providing that the writing wasn't godawful. And, you know what? I proved myself hideously, hideously wrong. (Of course, it might not have helped that I read it with pneumonia).

Honestly, it was really hard for me to take any of the romance/creepiness out of the book seriously, because the writing style was so awful that I couldn't imagine how anyone could look at it and interpret anything from such a pile of trash.

But other than that, these books should be self-help guidebooks on when you're in a relationship you should get out of.
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Sasuke's Wife wrote:
Chaltab wrote:

Then what's Gor?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Twilight: The Death of Feminism   

Back to top Go down

Twilight: The Death of Feminism
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 24  Next