Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air

Go down 
+7
Root Admin
Mikey Go WOOGA
Animir
Drabbler
King Bee
Sparrow
KelinciHutan
11 posters
AuthorMessage
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air Empty
PostSubject: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 2:09 pm

Yeah, it's true.

I loved this show, growing up. I've always wanted to meet LeVar Burton to thank him for this show more than anything else he's done, because this is a good part of why I love to read so much now.

Quote :

The show's run is ending, Grant explains, because no one — not the station, not PBS, not the Corporation for Public Broadcasting — will put up the several hundred thousand dollars needed to renew the show's broadcast rights.

Grant says the funding crunch is partially to blame, but the decision to end Reading Rainbow can also be traced to a shift in the philosophy of educational television programming. The change started with the Department of Education under the Bush administration, he explains, which wanted to see a much heavier focus on the basic tools of reading — like phonics and spelling.

Grant says that PBS, CPB and the Department of Education put significant funding toward programming that would teach kids how to read — but that's not what Reading Rainbow was trying to do.

"Reading Rainbow taught kids why to read," Grant says. "You know, the love of reading — [the show] encouraged kids to pick up a book and to read."
So, I am sad. It is an awesome show, and I'll be sad to see it go if there's no way to save it.
Back to top Go down
Sparrow
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 2:30 pm

KelinciHutan wrote:
I loved this show, growing up. I've always wanted to meet LeVar Burton to thank him for this show more than anything else he's done, because this is a good part of why I love to read so much now.

Quoted for truth. And I loved that LeVar Burton would also teach other things, that were referenced in books - using sand for artwork, dying wool, etc. I think I learned more about the world outside of my community watching Reading Rainbow than I did in social studies.

It's a shame no one will put up the funding. It's great to teach the hows, but we still need to show the whys for reading as well.
Back to top Go down
http://sparrow779.livejournal.com/
King Bee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
King Bee

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 2:32 pm

It was still on?
Back to top Go down
Drabbler
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Drabbler

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 3:00 pm

I knew it was still on but not that it was still producing new episodes; the few times I've seen it recently, they were running episodes from the '80s.
Back to top Go down
Animir
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Animir

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Well, that sucks. I'd hold out hope for a DVD release, but there's probably no money for that, either. (And my mother thought I was crazy for DVRing it!)
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Gee, I had totally forgotten this show existed. :hmm:
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 10:41 pm

^
It's pictures like that that make me love the internet. :roflmao:
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 7:14 am

As someone who learned to read from public television, I weep bitter tears for the future.
Back to top Go down
quamp
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
quamp

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 6:41 pm

PBS taught me how to read too, although it was the original The Electric Company that did it.
Unfortuantely, people seem to have lost a fundamental truth - the more entertaining one makes learning, the more people will be willing to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://quamp.deviantart.com
Reepicheep-chan
Important Person
Important Person
Reepicheep-chan

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah, this whole push from 'teaching why to read' to 'teaching how to read' is a bunch of srs BS. You can teach yourself how to read if LaVar Burton fucking tells you that you should. Besides that, just imagining a TV show teaching me how to read gives me a head ache.

Still I would be more sad about it if I had even known the show was still on the air.
Back to top Go down
Chris91
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Chris91

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:49 pm

KelinciHutan wrote:
Yeah, it's true.

Quote :

The show's run is ending, Grant explains, because no one — not the station, not PBS, not the Corporation for Public Broadcasting — will put up the several hundred thousand dollars needed to renew the show's broadcast rights.

Grant says the funding crunch is partially to blame, but the decision to end Reading Rainbow can also be traced to a shift in the philosophy of educational television programming. The change started with the Department of Education under the Bush administration, he explains, which wanted to see a much heavier focus on the basic tools of reading — like phonics and spelling.

Grant says that PBS, CPB and the Department of Education put significant funding toward programming that would teach kids how to read — but that's not what Reading Rainbow was trying to do.

"Reading Rainbow taught kids why to read," Grant says. "You know, the love of reading — [the show] encouraged kids to pick up a book and to read."
So, I am sad. It is an awesome show, and I'll be sad to see it go if there's no way to save it.

Same here. PBS without Reading Rainbow is like London without Big Ben.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air   Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air Empty

Back to top Go down

Reading Rainbow Going Off The Air
Page 1 of 1