Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This is how it feels to be validated.

Go down 
+10
Lady Anne
Deutschtard
Lapin
LeeLee
Chaltab
KGarrett
Root Admin
Rabid Badger
KelinciHutan
007bistromath
14 posters
AuthorMessage
007bistromath
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

This is how it feels to be validated. Empty
PostSubject: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Scientists confirm that I am not a useless piece of trash.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Yay! This suffering is not in vain after all!
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 7:40 pm

I've always thought it couldn't be an accident that many of the greatest writers in history suffered from depression. What's funny is that the way they describe a depressed person solving a problem is exactly how my mind works when I'm working through something.
Back to top Go down
Root Admin
Administrator
Administrator
Root Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Rabid Badger wrote:
I've always thought it couldn't be an accident that many of the greatest writers in history suffered from depression. What's funny is that the way they describe a depressed person solving a problem is exactly how my mind works when I'm working through something.

They also say that artists, musicians, writers, and thinkers who have bipolar depression are most creative in their "up" phase. Even more so than people without it.

Source

Quote :
One common feature in mania or hypomania is the increase in unusually creative thinking and productivity. (2, 3, 5, 7) The manic factor contributes to an increased frequency and fluency of thoughts due to the cognitive difference between normalcy and mania. (2, 5) Manic people often speak and think in rhyme or alliteration more than non-manic people. (2, 5) In addition, the lifestyles of manic-depressives in their manic phase is comparable to those of creative people. Both groups function on very little sleep, restless attitudes, and they both exhibit depth and emotion beyond the norm. (2, 5) Biologically speaking, the manic state is physically alert. That is, it can respond quickly and intellectually with a range of changes (i.e. emotional, perceptual, behavioral). (5) The manic perception of life is one without bounds. This allows for creativity because the person feels capable of anything. It is as if the walls, which inhibit the general population, do not exist in manic people, allowing them to become creative geniuses. They understand a part of art, music, and literature which normal people do not attempt. The manic state is in sharp contrast to the depressive phase of bipolar patients. In their depressed phase, patients only see gloom and boundaries. They feel helpless, and out of this helplessness comes the creativity. (5) The only way bipolar patients can survive their depressed phases, oftentimes, is to unleash their despondency through some creative work. (5, 3)
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 12:40 am

It's probably odd, but I'm half just waiting for the sudden onrush of people going, "I'm depressed, so I'm better than you".
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 2:56 am

KGarrett wrote:
It's probably odd, but I'm half just waiting for the sudden onrush of people going, "I'm depressed, so I'm better than you".

You're probably right, and all I can think is "why in the name of all that's good and holy would someone want to 'pretend' they're depressed?" I've been living the real deal for probably close to 35 years now, and while medication certainly helps, depression is not something I'd actively choose to have, given a choice.
Back to top Go down
007bistromath
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 am

KGarrett wrote:
That's like the easiest way ever to tell they're faking, though.

I mean, it's backwards. I'm depressed because I'm better than everyone else.

Yeah
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 7:10 pm

Screw problem solving, I'd trade some analytical brainpower for a little more happiness in a heart-beat.
Back to top Go down
LeeLee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
LeeLee

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:21 pm

How come when I'm depressed I'm unmotivated and bored? I'm usually not up to solving any problems. I suck at being depressed even! sob!
Back to top Go down
007bistromath
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 8:49 pm

Well, it depends on what you mean when you say "depressed."

On the one hand, many people use it sloppily enough that they actually just mean "sad." When a normal person has a normal reaction to normal troubles, they have their thoughts temporarily mired in something which they don't see a favorable solution to. This is the state of mind that, maintained for too long, causes depression, but it is not depression itself. If you are focused on something you can't fix, obviously you're not going to fix anything, whether or not you have any kind of cognitive advantage.

On the other hand, actual clinical depression can often sap energy to the point that focus and clarity become impossible due to fatigue. You may see solutions to problems that you discard as too difficult or ineffective because you feel less powerful than normal. This is especially the case with what most people experience as depression: a major depressive episode. One of these is usually the result of trauma that leaves a lasting impact. It results in lethargy, anhedonia, random irrational crashes, and complete inconsolability for periods ranging from hours to days.

Somebody who has poorly recovered from one of these, suffered from repeated trauma, or has a congenital condition making them prone to it may fall into chronic depression. Current theory, in a simplified fashion, is that once a person is too sad for too long, they will suffer a form of brain damage, basically causing the "life sucks" valve to get stuck open. This is a cyclical illness that can range from just fine and dandy, to non-specific "blue" feeling and low energy, to serial major depressive episodes that can sometimes become full blown psychotic breaks, all basically without any regard for whether or not anything is actually wrong. Even on good days when they don't notice much in the way of symptoms beyond anxiety, sleep disturbance, and boredom that is often interpreted as normal reaction to the stressors of everyday life, their brain works somewhat differently, and that is, if I'm understanding it correctly, what this article is talking about. Basically, the underlying mechanic of depression, obsessive analysis of a troubling issue, trains the mind of the afflicted to deal effectively with many types of problems that do have solutions.

Of course, as many depressed people are likely to point out, this works the other way. We ultimately live in a world that sucks pretty goddamn bad, and then we die. Thinking about this too much is depressing. People with the intelligence and focus necessary to understand the scope of human experience have to fit some pretty heavy shit into their head.
Back to top Go down
LeeLee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
LeeLee

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 9:36 pm

I need to read more before I reply...nothing to see here!
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 3:07 pm

I'm just bipolar. With some kind of focus problem. I doubt that makes me a genius.

Plus, coming down from a manic is like waking up after a night of heavy drinking. You reflect on everything you did and think "Why did I think that was a good idea?" Only its worse, because while you can vow to never drink again, a manic is still going to happen.
Back to top Go down
Deutschtard
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Deutschtard

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Everyone has Bipolar a little bit different, Lapin. I'm Bipolar I along with a few other things, and when I come down from a manic, it's just like a normal day.

I agree with the point of Nihilist's post, and the OP. I mean, I've got 60 original characters or so, i'm a Creative Writing major... yeah. creativity, whee! or something like that.
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 1:49 pm

I've suffered from a major depressive disorder since not long after witnessing my youngest sister getting hit by a car (when she was in my care). She survived the experience with no lasting problems beyond some scarring, but it hit me really hard (and it probably didn't help that depression runs in the family). That was when I was fourteen. When I was sixteen, I was playing on a swing at church (don't ask), and the chain snapped and sent me flying into a tree head first. Not long after, I experienced my first manic phase. I was a rapid cycler for about a year, going from manic to depressive and back again within a day or two. This stopped when I was running through some high grass and stepped on a rattlesnake. It didn't bite me, and I'm not sure who was more shocked, me or the snake, but I think it scared me enough to change my brain chemistry. Still, in the next few years, I had some depressive episodes that were short but intense--a few minutes to a few days of feeling like it was the end of the world. When I was twenty-one and a university student, I had a major, long-lasting depressive episode (about two months). I lost massive amounts of weight, had no appetite, was a total hypochondriac (if it existed, I was sure I had it)--and none of this was helped by the fact that I had a case of tonsillitis that would not be cured until I got the damned things removed. Finally, I went to the campus counseling center and got put on Prozac. I felt so much better after that--though I still have bouts where everything seems horrible, for no discernable reason, and I do obsess over things, coming up with some...interesting...solutions at times. I also do the manic bit sometimes, though not as often as in the past, where I can do anything, don't sleep much, and can very cranky if anyone tries to stand in my way. I get very creative during both phases, though, writing, making computer art, designing odd garden patterns, sewing, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sorsa A. Jänis
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Sorsa A. Jänis

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 2:12 pm

I can see where this topic is going.

In the end of page 20 people have dropped the original topic and are just arguing who has the worst mental condition.

"I'm deppressed!!"
"I'm even more deppressed!!!"
"I'm schizofrenic!!"
"I hear voices!"
"I've got assburgers!!"
"I'm so authistic that I actually am not functional in real life!!"
Back to top Go down
http://sunbeamattack.deviantart.com/
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Sorsa A. Jänis wrote:
I can see where this topic is going.

In the end of page 20 people have dropped the original topic and are just arguing who has the worst mental condition.

"I'm deppressed!!"
"I'm even more deppressed!!!"
"I'm schizofrenic!!"
"I hear voices!"
"I've got assburgers!!"
"I'm so authistic that I actually am not functional in real life!!"

ITT: Crazies.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:49 am

I have diarrhea.
Back to top Go down
007bistromath
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:04 am

That's no reason to shit all over my validation. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Alhazred
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Alhazred

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:07 am

Isn't your existence enough of a reason? :fatkid:

Awwww, I'm just kidding. C'mere, you big lug. :glomp:
Back to top Go down
007bistromath
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:17 am

That is gross. Stop it.
Back to top Go down
Lapin
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach
Lapin

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 am

I'm just not sure why having a mental disorder makes you special. They're not uncommon. Some people get it from genetics, and some from trauma. And most mental disorders suck.

I don't think anyone really cares who has it worse. I think I'm okay. A little too off the wall sometimes, and really depressed others, but generally, I average out.

Interesting study though.
Back to top Go down
007bistromath
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 11:15 am

As a connoisseur of fine misery, I will attest that most people with mental disorders actually do often care about whether they are crazier than their other crazy friends or not. They're mentally ill. The definition of that is doing things that don't make sense.
Back to top Go down
LeeLee
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
LeeLee

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:01 pm

My mom thinks I'm special!
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Lady Anne

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 8:06 pm

One of my college professors said that Mark Twain was probably bipolar. She might be right. In addition to being creative, Twain also had an extremely cynical worldview on some things (like technology and Congress), and managed to alienate much of his family (my step-great-great-grandfather was a second cousin of Samuel Clemens; he thought he was a no-good ne'er-do-well.)

Then there's some that you know had problems--the sort who ended their brilliant writing careers with a brilliant suicide note. Hemingway, London, Plath, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is how it feels to be validated.   This is how it feels to be validated. Empty

Back to top Go down

This is how it feels to be validated.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Why God, Why? :: The Sporking Table :: New Releases :: Antidotes-
Jump to: