Why God, Why?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Why God, Why?

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77

Go down 
+30
VB
007bistromath
Maximilia
Narwhal
Trioculus
Aggie
Eagleclaw
Verandering
Root Admin
T.S.Orr
Lady Anne
Melissa
Chaltab
KelinciHutan
Lysander
unskilled78
myeerah
Avari
gaijinguy
Penguin
theweirdkind
KGarrett
EileenK98
rachel
karmyn31
Mikey Go WOOGA
Cactus Wren
Rabid Badger
Mafiosa
Spotts1701
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Spotts1701
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Spotts1701

Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 Empty
PostSubject: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 pm

Story

Quote :
Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, the patriarch of the first family of Democratic politics, died Wednesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. He was 77.

We knew it was coming (brain cancer is not something you can beat easily), but everyone was hoping he'd hold on long enough to put his stamp on health care reform. After all, it's been his signature issue for almost the entire time he's served in the Senate.
Back to top Go down
Mafiosa
You crack me up, little buddy!
You crack me up, little buddy!

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 am

Sort of had mixed feelings about him really.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
And This is Why I Need Medication
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:14 am

He had a hard row to hoe, being forever in the shadows of JFK and Bobby, but he acquited himself well. I feel sorry for his family-they've had more than their fair share of tragedy over the years.
Back to top Go down
Cactus Wren
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cactus Wren

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:56 am

RIP, Senator.
Back to top Go down
Cactus Wren
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cactus Wren

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:58 am

And knowing you all as I do: countdown to hideously tasteless Mary Jo Kopechne joke in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...
Back to top Go down
Mikey Go WOOGA
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Mikey Go WOOGA

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:17 am

I bet she would have liked to die from brain cancer in her late 70s.

You're welcome. Razz
Back to top Go down
Rabid Badger
Rabid Badger

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 2:55 am

Mikey-Living proof that there's no such thing as one's expectations being too low.
Back to top Go down
karmyn31
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
karmyn31

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 2:57 am

He was probably my least favorite Kennedy. Except for the rapist and murderer. bobby was always my favorite. He actually did a lot for civil rights.
Back to top Go down
rachel
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
rachel

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 3:31 am

Spotts1701 wrote:
We knew it was coming (brain cancer is not something you can beat easily), but everyone was hoping he'd hold on long enough to put his stamp on health care reform.
I certainly was. Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 309696
Back to top Go down
EileenK98
Recovering Fanbrat
Recovering Fanbrat
EileenK98

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 5:32 am

Little-known fact: he and I had the same initials.

I hope to God he gets at least half the coverage Michael Jackson did. Here's someone who deserves it.
Back to top Go down
KGarrett
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
KGarrett

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:53 am

He won't. Especially since they're never going to shut up about that child-rapist and go on to more important things. It's disgusting.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:54 am

I think I'm still in shock right now about this.

R.I.P. Ted Kennedy.
Back to top Go down
Penguin
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
Penguin

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 8:56 am

Cactus Wren wrote:
And knowing you all as I do: countdown to hideously tasteless Mary Jo Kopechne joke in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

They're already going on about how they hope she has a ringside seat to his eternal damnation in other forums. Excitedplz
Back to top Go down
gaijinguy
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
gaijinguy

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 9:29 am

Penguin wrote:

They're already going on about how they hope she has a ringside seat to his eternal damnation in other forums. Excitedplz

I swear, some people are so small-minded about these things. Drown one woman, participate in a blatant cover-up, and use your family's money and connections to avoid the consequences, and they NEVER let you forget. You'd have thought he did something bad, like disagree with the One.

Burn in hell, you nepotistic, obese, drunken piece of shit.
Back to top Go down
Avari

Avari

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 11:13 am

Rabid Badger wrote:
Mikey-Living proof that there's no such thing as one's expectations being too low.
Oh, come on, a bit over the top, no? Ted Kennedy was a piece of a scum concerning Kopechene.

Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor
myeerah

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 11:33 am

Ted Kennedy: excellent politician, despicable human being.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 11:46 am

"[D]ecent quality health care... a matter of right and not of privilege." Ted Kennedy, 1978
Back to top Go down
unskilled78
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:17 pm

gaijinguy wrote:

This just in, Kennedy asked for the repeal of a 2004 law in his home state that disallows the govenor to select a replacement candidate, instead requiring a special election 5 months later.
How it proves he's a hypocrite: He sponsored the law in the first place, in order to avoid having Mitt Romney (a Republican) replace John Kerry (a Democrat) (Presumably with a Republican), should Kerry have won his Presidential bid that year. Now that a Democrat is in the gubenatorial spot, it's perfectly all right for him to just choose a candidate, rather than the people.

Also, how much of his cognitive abilities did he retain, and (if his judgement was impaired), why was he still allowed in office?

theweirdkind wrote:
"[D]ecent quality health care... a matter of right and not of privilege." Ted Kennedy, 1978
Rolling Eyes
He would say that, because he wouldn't have to pay for said system, OR use it.
Talk is cheap, and politicians speaking is even cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Lysander
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Armbiter of Good Fanfiction
Lysander

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:37 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
Drown one woman

Yeah, if he wants to satisfy the Republican voter base, he'd better kill a lot more people than that.
Back to top Go down
KelinciHutan
Global Nomad
Global Nomad
KelinciHutan

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 12:45 pm

unskilled78 wrote:
This just in, Kennedy asked for the repeal of a 2004 law in his home state that disallows the govenor to select a replacement candidate, instead requiring a special election 5 months later.
How it proves he's a hypocrite: He sponsored the law in the first place, in order to avoid having Mitt Romney (a Republican) replace John Kerry (a Democrat) (Presumably with a Republican), should Kerry have won his Presidential bid that year. Now that a Democrat is in the gubenatorial spot, it's perfectly all right for him to just choose a candidate, rather than the people.

Also, how much of his cognitive abilities did he retain, and (if his judgement was impaired), why was he still allowed in office?
Er, I haven't fact-checked you on this, but assuming you are correct, with manipulations like that, he was quite clearly in perfect control of his faculties.
Back to top Go down
theweirdkind
Bastion of Sanity
Bastion of Sanity
theweirdkind

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:27 pm

unskilled78 wrote:
theweirdkind wrote:
He would say that, because he wouldn't have to pay for said system, OR use it.
Talk is cheap, and politicians speaking is even cheaper.
Oh that's right, I forgot that since it wouldn't benefit him, he really shouldn't care. How stupid of me to think that. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Chaltab

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm not going to celebrate a man's death, but I must say I sincerely hope his successor is a far better person than Mr. Kennedy was.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Cactus Wren wrote:

A few days before he died, I was flipping around on the TV when I saw some show on PBS (Don't remember the title) where Ted Kennedy was being interviewed by a ten year old. I yelled "Don't get in a car with him, kid!" Now, I feel just a little bad about it. Just a little.
I'm also remembering a photomanip Lord Evil did about Ted Kennedy contacting the Super Friends that I posted on the last board's YLYL. I'd repost it, but it seems a bit tasteless now.
Back to top Go down
Cactus Wren
Sporkbender
Sporkbender
Cactus Wren

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 pm

gaijinguy wrote:
Penguin wrote:

I swear, some people are so small-minded about these things. Drown one woman, participate in a blatant cover-up, and use your family's money and connections to avoid the consequences, and they NEVER let you forget. You'd have thought he did something bad, like disagree with the One.

O LOOKIT ME MY PENIS IS SO BIG FAP FAP FAP :viley:
Back to top Go down
Spotts1701
Spotts1701

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2009 7:09 pm

As the Bard once wrote: "He was a man, take him for all in all, I shall not look upon his like again."

Yes, Kennedy the human being was horrifically flawed. He was a drunk, a rake, and a loudmouth. He was terribly negligent, and had he been anyone else would have done 20 years for manslaughter. He smeared the name of a woman who accused his nephew William Kennedy Smith of sexual assault when Smith was a medical student.

Balance that against his record fighting for the rights of others. Some say that all that he did for the disadvantaged and poor was atonement for his bad behavior.

He fought to enact COBRA - the law that allows people who lose their jobs to hold on to their health insurance. He was instrumental in passing CHIP, which provides health insurance to children of low-income families.

He introduced the Americans with Disabilities Act, which protected the disabled from discrimination in the workplace. He fought for what became the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), which gives disabled children the same educational opportunities as everyone else.

He fought for the minimum wage. He fought for the Civil Rights Act and against the poll tax. He sponsored legislation to lower the voting age to 18, and championed the Voter Rights Act.

He was the consummate dealmaker - working with Democrats who loved him and Republicans who despised him. Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah, whose first senatorial campaign was built around attacking everything Kennedy was, later worked with Kennedy on his first piece of legislation.

If you bring up the bad deeds, you must also bring up the good works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77   Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ted Kennedy, "The Lion Of The Senate", passes away at 77
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next