Share | 

Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
quamp
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:42 am

Yet another revival of a GAFF classic.

This started when I had left a review for a comic page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Panel 1 has a pair of text walls of doom, panels 2, 3 and 4 have the exact same artwork (most likely copypasta) and the final panel just looks weird. Well, I left a review concerning this, and here's the artist's response.

Quote :
Pshaw, I for one LOVE huge blocks of text.

I think you're pretty much alone in that.

Also at my DA site I wrote a small essay about writing adult fanfiction. (I know, I know. All of you are saying "That's like the blind leading the blind!") but I got this review on it:

Quote :
>3< not fair- im not 18 yet >.>

When I responded that the author shouldn't be reading adult material at her age, she gave this response.

Quote :
ah- thats what u ment by adult stories~ haha nm then
not like it would realy do much to me- that stuff realy dosnt phase me much~
but either way- nm!

Okay... I don't see how you could think of this otherwise by the title. :hmm:

Finally, there's the classic "You wrote a bad review for my fic so I'm gonna go around and give all your stories a bad review!!" fanbrat cliche. I had that happen to me on AFF.net a while back.

So let's hear all those wonderful reviews and replies to reviews you've gotten.
Back to top Go down
http://quamp.deviantart.com
Wandering Critic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:32 am

quamp wrote:
Finally, there's the classic "You wrote a bad review for my fic so I'm gonna go around and give all your stories a bad review!!" fanbrat cliche. I had that happen to me on AFF.net a while back.
Which is why the Wandering Critic identity exists. Given that Wandering Critic has a blog, a website, and some neglected odds and ends like a DA account and LJ, whereas my "real" identity just has some stories on FFN, it seems like the sock-puppet is now the master.

As for crazy review replies, the whole mrsphan thing (discussed elsewhere) has got to be the weirdest. I'd say the positive responses outnumber the negative ones by about two to one, which is rather interesting in itself. I'd expect it to go the other way, but I actually get a lot more thanks than anger for my harsh reviews, and most of the negative responses actually come from someone other than the author. Mrsphan, though, is in a class of her own, and her emails out-weird anything I've ever seen, even amyleefan14. She made me wonder (briefly) about the wisdom of provoking the mentally ill.
Back to top Go down
http://wanderingcritic.wordpress.com/
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:18 am

I once got a review from an enraged fanbrat who took issue with the fact that I mentioned Italy taking part in World War II (as in she just knew that no Italian would ever go to war. Someone slept through history class.)

Then there was the time I got a review of an AU Titanic fic that said my story sucked because Revolutionary Road showed that there was no such thing as true love (the review made even less sense in context--the story was about the aftermath of a violent earthquake).

Then there was the most WTF review of all, a review on a Star Wars story that said:

Quote :
This is the worst Titanic story I've ever read.

scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:32 am

Lady Anne wrote:
Then there was the most WTF review of all, a review on a Star Wars story that said:

Quote :

scratch

That kind of stuff makes me wonder if they have several stories open at once and end up typing their review into the wrong tab. How else would that happen?
Back to top Go down
ZoZo
Knight of the Bleach
Knight of the Bleach

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:38 am

grmblfjx wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Quote :

scratch

That kind of stuff makes me wonder if they have several stories open at once and end up typing their review into the wrong tab. How else would that happen?
Perhaps said reviewer had only ever encountered Titanic fanfiction up until that point, so assumed all fic was Titanic-fic?
Back to top Go down
Lady Anne
NO NOT THE BEEEEES
NO NOT THE BEEEEES

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:51 am

ZoZo wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Quote :

scratch

Perhaps said reviewer had only ever encountered Titanic fanfiction up until that point, so assumed all fic was Titanic-fic?
Anything is possible with some of these fanbrats.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/yt/anneblair/index.html
I_Lam_Edhellen
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:38 am

I've had difficulties with responses to reviews before, (back in my Mary Sue Hunter days I would unleash my fury with very little tact and got lots of flamewars going.) but the most recent and befuddling one was mrsphan. At first I thought I could reason with her. She's older, (41 years old) I thought she'd be more open to criticism. Boy was I wrong. Instead, she had this idea that she was somehow better than me; that she didn't need to accept my advice; almost as if it would be conceding defeat to listen to me. It was like arguing politics with my little old German grandmother. Lots of diversionary tactics and condescending tone, but very little facing of problems.

On the good side, I find that ESL writers are the best to work with. They accept everything you say right away and ask lots of questions. They tend to be more interesting people, and I've made a lot of friends that way.

For reviews, there are two types. Ones aimed at the writer and ones aimed at the readers. Most reviews are a little of both, but the flamers tend to be trying to create lawlz for the rest of us. Those annoy me. They're more helpful that "luv" reviews in that they let you know that someone has a problem with the story, but they don't tell you anything useful beyond that. The other extreme, personal letters to the writer in reviews, are uncomfortable to observe and make you want to write a review of the review telling them about the lovely and mysterious "e-mail" or "PM" of lore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.realelvish.net
KJM
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Reviews for my FF.net fic, Buffy and Angel Get Married:
Quote :
angel1969
2009-07-12 . chapter 1
Are you going to write some more chapters?? Wow!! Cliffhangers...

ba2006
2009-07-14 . chapter 1
intresting fic Smile
BA forever
Back to top Go down
http://kennethmrrw502.blogspot.com/
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:41 pm

I_Lam_Edhellen wrote:
On the good side, I find that ESL writers are the best to work with. They accept everything you say right away and ask lots of questions. They tend to be more interesting people, and I've made a lot of friends that way.

I'm actually not surprised at all. It is easy to admit you're not perfect at a foreign language, whereas not even knowing your own makes you look stupid. Also, people who are ambitious enough to write in another language will be driven to make it perfect.
Back to top Go down
quamp
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Lady Anne wrote:
ZoZo wrote:
grmblfjx wrote:
Lady Anne wrote:

Quote :

scratch

Anything is possible with some of these fanbrats.

Yea. S/he could have been stoned out of his/her mind. Although usually those people tend to have terrible spelling.

As for the bratty! reviewers, I simply give them this zen proverb:
Quote :
The only thing anger has improved is a cat's ability to arch its back.
:rant:
Back to top Go down
Inciter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 pm

I got this really bizarre review for one of my fics:

Quote :
I LOVED IT ! THIS STORY IS AWESOME ! This is the best yaoi story I have
ever read. Please update soon I can't live without another chapter.
Hurry ! I'M SLOWLY DYING !
XD
Really? Because I know I'm not a good writer and if my fic is the best yaoi fic you've ever read, you haven't read very many.

And the dying thing is a little over-the-top. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:28 pm

I've gotten reviews telling me what pairings I should (or shouldn't) write. Sometimes when I've not even hinted at pairings at all in the fic.
Back to top Go down
Inciter
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Chaltab wrote:
I've gotten reviews telling me what pairings I should (or shouldn't) write. Sometimes when I've not even hinted at pairings at all in the fic.
I've gotten that before. The most memorable ones were the ones I got while I was writing my Contestshipping fic. I said there would be minor Pokeshipping, so I got tons of reviews telling me that I should add Ikarishipping too. I can't stand that pairing and I mentioned it in the next chapter, but everyone ignored me and kept suggesting it. When I changed the minor Pokeshipping to minor Pearlshipping, they all went crazy on me and told me that I had horrible taste in pairings and should immediately rewrite the chapter. Rolling Eyes

I'm glad I went on hiatus. I'm so sick of crazy fanbrats telling me how to write my fics.
Back to top Go down
Chaltab
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:50 pm

Eh, I don't get enough reviews for them to bother me, but it does make me wonder who they think is writing the damn story.
Back to top Go down
grmblfjx
Hot and Botherer
Hot and Botherer

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:20 am

Inciter wrote:
Quote :
I LOVED IT ! THIS STORY IS AWESOME ! This is the best yaoi story I have
ever read. Please update soon I can't live without another chapter.
Hurry ! I'M SLOWLY DYING !
XD
Really? Because I know I'm not a good writer and if my fic is the best yaoi fic you've ever read, you haven't read very many.

At least it was yaoi. Razz
Back to top Go down
Raine
Challenge Winner!
Challenge Winner!

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:35 am

My pet peeve is "WRITE THIS FOR ME" reviews. Nooo, I do NOT want to write some crappy Naruto is bitten by a vampire fic for you.
Back to top Go down
Wandering Critic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Raine wrote:
My pet peeve is "WRITE THIS FOR ME" reviews. Nooo, I do NOT want to write some crappy Naruto is bitten by a vampire fic for you.
A common complaint of published authors is people who say "I've got this great idea for a book, how about I tell you the idea, and you write the book, and we split the profits?" Since there are no profits in fanfic, you only get the first part. It's still annoying. So far I've avoided it in fanfic, though I've had to deal with it in a slightly different context in the real world. The best answer is some version of "write your own damn story."
Back to top Go down
Alhazred
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Wandering Critic wrote:
A common complaint of published authors is people who say "I've got this great idea for a book, how about I tell you the idea, and you write the book, and we split the profits?" Since there are no profits in fanfic, you only get the first part. It's still annoying. So far I've avoided it in fanfic, though I've had to deal with it in a slightly different context in the real world. The best answer is some version of "write your own damn story."

Taken in the context of "silly fans screaming loudly into a professional author's ear about their even sillier ideas," the fact that there are profits involved in published works and the fact that Internet retards trying to have a voice in reality expect to earn money by doing the monumental work of giving an author an idea arguably makes it more batshit.
Back to top Go down
Wandering Critic
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:33 am

The best answer I've ever heard of is "How about you keep the idea, write the story yourself, and then you get all the money?"

If I had a nickel for every idea I've ever had ... even every publishable idea ... well, let's just say I'd eat a lot less macaroni & cheese. I honestly can't wrap my mind around why these people think ideas (and especially their lameass ideas) are such a rare thing. Ideas are everywhere. I just threw out a candy wrapper and started thinking about folded universes. What if there are a lot of them, and they touch at some points, kind of like a pile of those candy wrappers? You could try to go from point A to point B, and end up at point C in another universe instead. That's not a story (no matter what a fanbrat might think) but it might be the seed of one. Will I write it? Doubtful. But it's there nonetheless.

Is it that they've ever had only one idea in their life, and that's why it's so all-fired important? Is The Machine Stops closer to reality than we dreamed?

Now, if some fanbrat could give me the magic formula that could make me write stuff as fast as I can come up with ideas for it -- or even on a reliable and regular basis -- that would be worth splitting the profits. Ideas, I've got. It's get-up-and-go that's the issue. And the only magic formula I know is "put the seat of the pants in the seat of the chair and write."
Back to top Go down
Delcat
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel
Good old-fashioned nightmare fuel

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Inciter wrote:
I've gotten that before. The most memorable ones were the ones I got while I was writing my Contestshipping fic. I said there would be minor Pokeshipping, so I got tons of reviews telling me that I should add Ikarishipping too. I can't stand that pairing and I mentioned it in the next chapter, but everyone ignored me and kept suggesting it. When I changed the minor Pokeshipping to minor Pearlshipping, they all went crazy on me and told me that I had horrible taste in pairings and should immediately rewrite the chapter.
You'd think they'd spend less time complaining about what pairings in it and more time complaining about how stupid the pairing names were. I'd forgotten how batshit crazy the Pokemon and Digimon fandoms were for that.
Back to top Go down
http://delcat.insanejournal.com
quamp
Sporkbender
Sporkbender

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:00 pm

Chaltab wrote:

Ah, that reminds me of a review I saw on a Cowboy Bebop fic.

Quote :
I wanna see Faye/Ed yuri!! Nobody's done a Faye/Ed pairing before!!

Well, there's a good reason for that. IT"S SICK.

Raine wrote:

You don't get that very often in some of the more obscure fandoms that I write in. When I get stuff like this, I simply tell the reviewer "You can write this yourself, you know. Be the change you want to see."
Back to top Go down
Fairlight
Keeper of the Gaffapedia
Keeper of the Gaffapedia

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:49 pm

Quote :
I love your drabbles; life would be a much less beautiful place without them. This piece reminds me of a certain type of architecture, of a dome holding up itself, closing in emptiness. For dramatized here are a self-reflectiveness as well as a thrilling silence, enclosed in language and glass walls.

I saw this review and literally did this ---> [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
myeerah
Contributor
Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Fairlight wrote:
Quote :
I love your drabbles; life would be a much less beautiful place without them. This piece reminds me of a certain type of architecture, of a dome holding up itself, closing in emptiness. For dramatized here are a self-reflectiveness as well as a thrilling silence, enclosed in language and glass walls.

I saw this review and literally did this ---> [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I had a similar reaction to this one:
Quote :
there's a very omnious feel to this story, as if some insidious gaseous element is slowly filling the chamber and preparing to pounce on the unsuspecting actors. it's definitely a spin on the circumstances and difficulties surrounding squall's birth, which, matched with the pervading moribund ambience, comes in stark contrast to, say, the glorious birth of a christ-figure. but i like it because implies that all [character] has known in his life is death and abandonment, and the blood-guilt of his mother on top of his original sin. good job.

I think yours wins for sheef WTFery, though.
Back to top Go down
Keith Fraser
Shitgobbling pissdrinker
Shitgobbling pissdrinker

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Fairlight wrote:
Quote :

You should send that in to Private Eye's Pseuds Corner column. :roflmao:
Back to top Go down
kryceksangel

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Someone posted a video to the song: He's My Son by Mark Schultz. On a side note I absolutely love that song and it's an inspiration for a fic of mine.

In the video they had this guy operating on his son. I can't remember what show it was, maybe Grey's Anatomy which I have never seen. I replied that father's can not operate on their children.

Their response:
Just to let you know, I already know that, but derek's the best and it's my story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF   

Back to top Go down

Reviews & replies: The good, the bad, and the WTF
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next